Recreate the buttery goodness of Walkers Shortbread Cookies with this straightforward copycat recipe! Easy substances come collectively to create that basic crumbly texture and melt-in-your-mouth sweetness. These Scottish butter cookies are good for teatime, vacation festivities, or a fast deal with. You can provide them as a do-it-yourself reward in a tin.
This put up comprises affiliate hyperlinks. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What Makes Walkers Shortbread Cookies So Good?
Lovers of shortbread already know that the perfect comes within the field with the well-known purple and black tartan design. There’s simply one thing in regards to the wealthy, buttery style of Walkers shortbread cookies from Scotland that makes them so troublesome to cease consuming.
Each children and adults love these cookies, so you’ll all the time need to hold further readily available. They’re nice Christmas cookies too.
Why You Ought to Strive This Recipe
Walkers Shortbread are high-quality cookies, however they aren’t low-cost. A small packet can take a fairly large chew out of your snack price range. However whenever you make them at residence, you should utilize premium substances and nonetheless get monetary savings.
Even in the event you don’t thoughts splurging on shortbread on the retailer, when you see how straightforward and attractive this conventional Scottish shortbread cookie recipe is, you’ll by no means need to purchase premade shortbread once more.
This conventional shortbread recipe doesn’t comprise eggs which is nice for many who have an egg allergy.
Walker Shortbread Cookies Components
To make this Walker shortbread recipe, you’ll want:
- Unsalted butter
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
Why Use Unsalted Butter
Whereas immediately’s store-bought salted butter comprises much less salt than the do-it-yourself butter of the previous, with out requirements for a way a lot salt is added to butter, most recipe writers want to name for the unsalted selection. That approach, you possibly can add salt as wanted.
Find out how to Bake Walkers Shortbread Cookies
To make the shortbread dough:
- Take the unsalted butter out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature.
- Within the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the softened butter and the powdered sugar. Combine at medium velocity for about two to a few minutes or till the sugar is absolutely included and the butter quantity will increase. In the event you don’t have a stand mixer, you should utilize a hand mixer or perhaps a fork (though the dough is sort of stiff).
- In a separate bowl, use a fork to whisk collectively the vanilla extract and the salt. Because the vanilla extract is the one liquid on this recipe, all of the salt should dissolve absolutely throughout this step, or the cookies might turn into gritty.
- Whereas the mixer is working, add the combination to the creamed butter.
- Progressively add the flour to the bowl and proceed mixing till the dough is easy.
To form the cookies into shortbread fingers:
- Calmly grease a 9 x 13-inch baking tray and line it with parchment paper. The oil helps the parchment paper stick with the pan, so don’t skip this step. If you’re new to baking, try this video to discover ways to line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Use a dough scraper to assist switch the dough into the ready baking tray.
- Unfold the dough out on the baking tray and flatten. Shake the baking tray to interrupt up air bubbles and get the dough into the corners.
- Place one other sheet of greased parchment paper excessive of the tray with the greased aspect down. Roll over the parchment paper with a rolling pin to easy the highest as a lot as attainable. Take away the parchment paper and discard it.
To bake the cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Place the shortbread within the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, take away the baking tray from the oven. Use a brief knife or a pizza cutter to chop the shortbread into 18 items, about 1.5 x 4 inches.
- Press the tines of a fork into every bit of shortbread to type two parallel strains of tiny holes in every bit. Docking the shortbread like it will stop it from puffing up.
- Return the shortbread to the oven and bake for 8 to 9 minutes.
- Place the baking tray on a wire and permit the shortbread to chill fully earlier than consuming or storing.
What to Serve Walker Shortbread Cookies With
Shortbread goes exceptionally properly with tea, particularly robust black tea. Since shortbread comprises a lot butter, nibbling on the cookies between sips of tea will assist scale back a number of the tea’s acidity with out including sugar or cream. Shortbread goes nearly as properly with espresso if you’re not a tea particular person.
It’s also possible to use the cookies to make a shortbread crust for pies. Simply place the cookies in a meals processor and course of them till crumbly however not a powder or place them in a plastic ziptop bag and roll over it with a rolling pin to crush the cookies. Use the crumbs as an alternative of graham cracker crumbs.
Recipe Variations – Chocolate Dipped or Drizzled
To raise this Scottish shortbread recipe, soften some chocolate chips!
Dip the cookies within the melted chocolate or drizzle it on high. Then add some colourful sprinkles or finely chopped pecans on high of the chocolate.
Find out how to Retailer Shortbread Cookies
To maintain shortbread cookies recent, place them in an hermetic container.
It’s also possible to freeze shortbread:
- Wrap particular person serving parts in plastic wrap.
- Freeze in a freezer-safe container.
- Defrost within the fridge in a single day.
How Lengthy Will They Final?
Cookies will final about 4 or 5 days on the countertop, per week within the fridge, or a month within the freezer.
Extra Copycat Cookie Recipes to Make
Favourite DIY Recipes
Walkers Shortbread Cookies
Do-it-yourself Walkers Scottish shortbread cookies are a scrumptious deal with to take pleasure in and share with buddies.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter softened at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
Preheat the oven to 325°F. Gently spray a 9×13-inch baking pan with nonstick spray and line the pan with parchment paper. (See notes for tips about how one can greatest reduce the parchment paper and line the dish.)
In a big mixing bowl, mix the butter and powdered sugar utilizing a fork or electrical hand or stand mixer. Mix for two to three minutes till the combination is easy and absolutely mixed. Add the vanilla and salt and mix once more. Add 1/3 to 1/2 of the flour and mix till included. Proceed including the remainder of the flour in batches and mixing till all of the flour is included and easy. The dough needs to be thick and velvety.
Switch the dough to the ready baking pan and press it flat along with your palms. You’ll want to press throughout the complete floor and towards the corners. Place one other sheet of parchment paper on high of the dough and rub your palms, a small rolling pin, or a flat-bottomed glass over the parchment to additional easy the dough and create a wonderfully flat floor. Take away the highest parchment piece.
Bake the shortbread within the preheated oven for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, take away the pan from the oven, however hold the oven on.
Utilizing a pointy knife, make 5 even cuts parallel to the size of the pan, dividing the shortbread in 6 equal strips (the strips needs to be about 1 1/2 x 13 inches). Then make 2 even cuts parallel to the width of the pan, dividing every lengthy strip into thirds. This can make 18 items of shortbread, every about 1 ½ x 4 inches.
Gently press the tongs of a fork into every bit of shortbread, forming two parallel strains of equally spaced holes. These holes will create the standard Walker’s look.
Return the pan to the oven and proceed to bake for 8 to 9 minutes. Take away the pan from oven and permit the shortbread to chill fully earlier than having fun with.
This shortbread isn’t “crunchy.” It’s comfortable and barely chewy, however agency sufficient to carry its form after slicing.
LINING A BAKING DISH WITH PARCHMENT PAPER: Lower a sheet of parchment paper massive sufficient to cowl the dish with about 2 inches of overhang. Utilizing your thumbs and index fingers, press the parchment paper down into the dish, extending your fingers strongly into the corners to make an indentation. Take away the parchment from the dish and use a pair of scissors to make 8 cuts within the parchment: 2 cuts main to every indentation from each side of the paper. Make sure your cuts don’t meet each other; the corners of the paper ought to stay connected. There needs to be about 2 inches from every indentation to the tip of the paper, so it’s possible you’ll must trim the surplus if it exceeds this size. Place the parchment paper again into the dish, tucking the corners behind the perimeters of the parchment. Press the paper along with your fingers alongside the sides of the dish to easy it into place. It ought to maintain up properly.
Energy: 167kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 2g | Fats: 10g | Saturated Fats: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 0.4g | Monounsaturated Fats: 3g | Trans Fats: 0.4g | Ldl cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 4mg | Potassium: 18mg | Fiber: 0.4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 314IU | Calcium: 5mg | Iron: 1mg