The BEST vegan meatballs! Made with mushrooms, walnuts, and black beans, they’re crisp on the surface, tender within the center, and stuffed with savory taste.
These vegan meatballs are the very best I’ve tried. They’re intensely flavorful, made with roasted mushrooms, a mixture of savory spices, and balsamic vinegar for tang. Additionally they have the right texture–crisp and charred on the surface and firm-yet-tender within the center. High them onto pasta, stuff them into subs, or serve them over polenta with a scoop of marinara. There are such a lot of methods to get pleasure from these scrumptious vegan meatballs!
Vegan Meatballs Recipe Substances
To be clear, these vegan meatballs don’t style similar to meat. They’re made with entire meals, plant-based substances, and while you eat them, you may inform. However that doesn’t imply they aren’t tasty! They’ve a satisfying texture and a fantastic savory taste.
Right here’s what you’ll have to make them:
- Mushrooms – A mix of shiitakes and creminis provides these meatballs their meaty texture and umami taste.
- Walnuts – They add richness and hold the meatballs from getting too mushy!
- Black beans – For plant-based protein.
- Onion and garlic – For savory depth of taste.
- Fennel seeds, cumin, smoked paprika, and floor sage – This mixture of spices makes the meatballs SO flavorful! The paprika provides smokiness, the cumin provides earthiness, and the fennel and sage add traditional Italian flavors.
- Tomato paste and balsamic vinegar – For tang.
- Tamari – I really like utilizing tamari or soy sauce after I prepare dinner mushrooms. It brings out their wealthy, umami taste.
- Panko bread crumbs, entire rolled oats, and floor flaxseed – They bind the meatballs collectively. To make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free panko and authorized gluten-free oats.
- Further-virgin olive oil and avocado oil – I like to make use of olive oil within the meatballs and avocado oil within the pan. If you wish to simplify, you need to use avocado oil for each.
- And salt and pepper – To make all of the flavors pop!
Discover the entire recipe with measurements under.
The way to Make Vegan Meatballs
Step one on this vegan meatball recipe is roasting the mushrooms. It concentrates their umami taste and provides them a satisfying meaty texture.
Stem and slice the mushrooms, and toss them with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Unfold them in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast at 425°F for 20 minutes, or till barely shriveled across the edges.
Subsequent, pulse collectively the walnuts, onion, garlic, and spices in a meals processor. Your objective right here is to interrupt down the walnuts and onions.
You need them to be coarsely floor earlier than you add extra substances to the meals processor.
Then, add the roasted mushrooms, black beans, oats, olive oil, tomato paste, flax, tamari, and balsamic.
Pulse till the combination is well-combined however nonetheless has some texture. There ought to nonetheless be some bigger bean and mushroom items.
Subsequent, type the meatballs. Switch the combination to a big mixing bowl and fold within the panko. Use a 2-tablespoon cookie scoop to portion it out. Then, use your palms to roll it into balls.
Lastly, prepare dinner the meatballs. Begin by searing them in a cast-iron skillet till they’re well-browned. It ought to take about 5 minutes over medium-high warmth to brown them on all sides.
Switch the skillet to the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or till the vegan meatballs are agency and flippantly crisp across the edges. Take pleasure in!
The way to Serve Vegan Meatballs
These meatless meatballs are a incredible vegan meal! Listed below are our favourite methods to serve them:
Leftover meatballs hold nicely in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 4 days. For longer storage, stash them within the freezer for as much as 3 months. They reheat properly within the microwave or a 400°F oven.
Extra Favourite Vegan Recipes
Should you love these veggie balls, attempt one among these hearty vegan recipes subsequent:
Serves 4 to six
This vegan meatballs recipe is SO scrumptious and simple to make! The hearty veggie balls are crisp on the surface, tender within the center, and stuffed with wealthy, savory taste. Nice on pasta, in subs, and extra!
- 16 ounces combined cremini and shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 1 cup walnuts
- ½ cup coarsely chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, plus extra for sprinkling
- ½ teaspoon freshly floor black pepper, plus extra for sprinkling
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds, toasted
- ½ teaspoon floor cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon floor sage
- 1½ cups cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup entire rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon floor flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ¾ cup panko bread crumbs
- Avocado oil, for the pan
- Marinara sauce, for serving (for retailer purchased, we love Rao’s)
Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Place the mushrooms on the baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Unfold evenly on the baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes, or till barely shriveled across the edges.
In a meals processor, place the walnuts, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, fennel seed, cumin, paprika, and sage. Pulse till coarsely floor, then add the roasted mushrooms, black beans, oats, olive oil, tomato paste, flaxseed, tamari, and balsamic vinegar. Pulse till the combination is well-combined however nonetheless has just a few bigger bean and mushroom chunks remaining.
Switch the combination to a big bowl and fold within the panko. Use a 2-tablespoon cookie scoop to portion the combination, then use your palms to roll it into balls.
Warmth a big cast-iron skillet over medium-high warmth and coat the underside with avocado oil. Add the vegan meatballs and prepare dinner, rotating the balls as they brown, till browned throughout, about 5 minutes.
Switch the skillet to the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or till the vegan meatballs are agency and flippantly crisp across the edges.
Serve with marinara.