This darned tasty Tuna Noodle Casserole from Scratch isn’t your mother’s tuna casserole! Ditch the canned soup and the bargain-basement tuna, and make a casserole the entire household will love.
Yearly, when Lent arrives, the hubby begs for his mother’s Tuna Casserole Recipe (my mother’s, too!). I lastly determined to make a model that each palate will take pleasure in!!
Why You Should Make
- This tuna casserole doesn’t use canned soup.
- It’s chock full of colourful veggies.
- It tastes even higher when created from scratch!!
Invoice grew up on the identical tuna casserole that my mother made and served with a canned tuna, canned cream of mushroom soup, and a topping of crushed potato chips. It was one in every of solely two seafood objects that he would eat after we acquired married. The opposite was created from a can of salmon.
Fairly the seafood connoisseur, eh? I couldn’t deal with all of the sodium and eventually drew the road and solely made tuna casserole on uncommon events throughout Lent. That’s till I began making a tuna noodle casserole from scratch AKA tuna casserole with out canned soup! This Tacky Tuna Casserole is so a lot better.
No Soup Tuna Casserole
Mockingly, when my dad and mom had been newlyweds, my mother made her tuna casserole many, many occasions. Being Catholic, again within the day, they needed to abstain from meat each single Friday. Desirous to please his new spouse, my dad threw her a praise or two and he or she made this dish almost each Friday from then on.
He lastly couldn’t bear it anymore and informed her to stop and desist! Thank goodness there are numerous extra Lenten dinner choices accessible to dwelling cooks today. I guess my dad would have loved this pasta tuna bake chock filled with mushrooms and veggies.
- PRO-Tip: Purchase the very best tuna you may afford. I buy jarred tuna in olive oil as a substitute of cans. It’s just a little expensive, however the high quality is unquestionably a notch or extra higher.
- Ditch the cream of mushroom soup and as a substitute make a creamy sauce from scratch. I take advantage of Wondra flour, a granular flour made by Gold Medal, because it’s manner much less prone to make a lumpy sauce, cream for added richness, then two sorts of grated cheese to push it excessive.
- Since we’re not utilizing the cream of mushroom soup, I like so as to add sliced mushrooms to the combination. Frozen peas, and diced pink bell pepper add some coloration to a dish that might be awfully bland wanting with out them.
- PRO-Tip: Be happy to high with crushed buttery crackers or buttered bread crumbs earlier than baking if that’s your desire. My mother used crushed potato chips and French’s Crispy Fried Onions are scrumptious, too! And I additionally love sprinkling the highest with additional cheese in lieu of a crumbly topping.
- I used this pretty Emile Henry Oval Baker to bake and serve.
- All hyperlinks are Amazon affiliate hyperlinks.
Continuously Requested Questions
Let it cool, then cowl the casserole with foil or plastic wrap or place the leftovers in an hermetic container. Refrigerate it for as much as 4 days so long as the dish has not been overlooked at room temperature longer than 2 hours.
You’ll be able to microwave the entire casserole (if in a microwave-safe dish) or single parts on the reheat setting. You too can cowl the casserole with foil and reheat it in a 300° oven till scorching.
You Might Additionally Like:
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 of a pink bell pepper, diced
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
- Salt and pepper, to style
- 2 tablespoons white wine, I take advantage of vermouth if I haven’t got a bottle open
- 2 (6.7 ounce) jars tuna filets in olive oil, drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 8 ounces egg noodles, about 4 cups
- 2 1/2 tablespoons flour, I used Wondra
- 1 cup heavy cream, warmed
- 2 cups rooster broth (use vegetable broth throughout Lent)
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Soften 2 tablespoons butter in a big saute pan over medium-high warmth. Add onions and cook dinner till they begin to soften, then add bell pepper and mushrooms.
- Season with ¼ teaspoon salt and some grinds of black pepper and cook dinner till liquid evaporates. Add white wine and cook dinner till that evaporates. and mushrooms are browned, 6 to eight minutes.
- Add combination to a big bowl.
- In a medium bowl, add drained tuna and lemon juice. Utilizing a fork, break the tuna into bite-sized items and gently combine so the lemon juice is distributed. Put aside.
- In the identical pan, soften 2 extra tablespoons of butter. Add flour and whisk to mix and cook dinner for a couple of minute.
- Whisk in heat cream and cook dinner till flour is included, then add rooster broth and proceed to cook dinner till the combination thickens. Whisk in each cheeses.
- Prepare dinner pasta in well-salted water till simply al dente. Drain and add to bowl with greens. Add peas and tuna. Gently toss to mix. Style and add salt and pepper to style, if wanted.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Place in a greased. 2-quart baking dish. Cowl with foil.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or till heated by. Uncover and broil for two minutes or till the highest simply begins to brown. Serve scorching.
Style earlier than including further salt as some manufacturers of broth are very salty.
If you would like a crunchy topping, add buttery bread crumbs, crushed potato chips, or French’s crispy fried onions.
Really useful Merchandise
As an Amazon Affiliate and member of different affiliate applications, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 1107Complete Fats: 98gSaturated Fats: 29gTrans Fats: 0gLdl cholesterol: 136mgSodium: 851mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 18g