If the proper dessert exists, it is right here on this 8-inch pan of sugar cookie bars! A thick sugar cookie crust topped with cream cheese frosting and adorned with Valentine’s Day hearts is the best, most memorable dessert. You’ll be able to change out the center decorations for any vacation, too!
What would you do if you happen to have been in a grocery retailer and overheard a lady asking the place the cream cheese is, and as she picked up a bathtub of whipped cream cheese, she then defined that she was planning on making a cheesecake?
Would you chime in to say that whipped cream cheese is not one of the best for making a cheesecake? Would you circle the shop whilst you tried to determine what to do? Am I the one bizarre one who’s upset by this?
I perceive why she finds it confusing–it’s extra widespread to see a bathtub of whipped cream cheese. It is within the fridge at work, and it is what you see on the bagel store. It isn’t interchangeable, nonetheless! Please do not make my oreo cheesecake cupcakes with whipped cream cheese!
I’ve puzzled how her cheesecake turned out quite a lot of occasions over the previous few days, and determined the one approach I may apologize to her was to make her a dessert that used whipped cream cheese, like these sugar cookie bars with whipped cream cheese frosting.
There is a tremendous small likelihood she reads this web site, proper? I simply hope she is not so discouraged by her cheesecake flop that she offers up baking altogether. My want is that she someway is aware of there’s hope left for her baking abilities.
Learn how to Make Sugar Cookie Bars
First, we will pack sugar cookie dough in a single layer in a 8-inch sq. pan. This could be a steel, ceramic or glass pan. After the dough bakes, we will let it cool and high it with an ethereal whipped cream frosting. The Valentine’s Day coronary heart candies on high are good for this time of 12 months, however I’ve additionally used crimson and inexperienced M&Ms to make my Christmas Sugar Cookie Bars. Sure, it is the identical recipe!
The components are tremendous easy, and I wager you have already got them in your pantry and fridge!
- Butter. The bottom of each good sugar cookie is high-quality unsalted butter. I prefer to bake with European-style butter as a result of it has a barely larger fats share, however any stick of butter will work right here. We’d like one stick for the sugar cookie bar base and one other half-stick for the frosting.
- Sugar. One-half cup of white granulated sugar.
- Egg. One massive egg. Do not you’re keen on when my small batch desserts use all the egg?
- Vanilla. The flavour of vanilla actually shines in sugar cookie bars, so use actual vanilla extract, Bourbon vanilla is my favourite.
- Flour. One and three-quarter cup all-purpose flour that you just fluff, spoon into the measuring cup and degree off with a knife.
- Baking Powder. One-half teaspoon of baking powder to assist them rise within the oven.
- Salt. A small quantity of salt is essential right here to steadiness the tremendous candy cookie base and tremendous candy whipped cream cheese frosting.
- Whipped Cream Cheese. Sure, we’re baking with whipped cream cheese, though I stated it is very uncommon to bake with this product. It is good on this clean, creamy cream cheese frosting.
- Powdered Sugar. For flippantly sweetening the frosting. Remember any form of sprinkles or sweet decorations that you just wish to add on high.
- Start by preheating your oven to 350-degrees F, and lining an 8-inch sq. pan with parchment paper in each instructions.
- Within the bowl of a stand mixer (it’s also possible to use an everyday hand mixer right here), add the one stick of softened butter, and beat on medium velocity till creamy, about 30 seconds.
- Proceed to beat whereas streaming in ¾ cup of granulated sugar. Beat till fluffy, about 1 minutes.
- Subsequent, add the egg and vanilla, and beat simply to mix.
- Flip the mixer off, and evenly sprinkle the flour, baking powder and salt on high of the batter.
- Flip the mixer again on low, and beat simply to include the dry components. Don’t over-mix.
- Scoop the batter into the baking pan, and use your fingers to press it right into a flat even layer. Bake for 20 minutes, or till a toothpick comes out principally clear with just a few crumbs. You will need to let the sugar cookie bars cool utterly earlier than frosting them, or the frosting will soften and slide proper off!
- Lastly, make the frosting as soon as the bars are cool: Beat collectively the softened butter and cream cheese in a bowl with a hand mixer for 1 minute, till fluffy. Add the vanilla and beat to mix. Flip the mixer to low and add the powdered sugar one-half cup at a time whereas persevering with to combine. If it appears to thick, you may add a splash of milk.
- Frost the bars, embellish with sweet sprinkles and serve.
When sugar cookie dough is simply too crumbly, it is in all probability as a result of your butter wasn’t tender sufficient. The easiest way to repair that is add a really small splash of milk (1-2 teaspoons) and stir it into the dough. You can even collect the dough in your fingers and use the warmth of your fingers to soften the butter gently and assistance is maintain collectively.
Sure, you may freeze these bars, however I like to recommend freezing them with out the frosting. Make the frosting simply earlier than serving, as a result of the whipped cream cheese will separate as soon as frozen and defrosted.
Valentine’s Day 2017 additionally occurs to be the official launch date of my subsequent cookbook: Candy and Easy: Desserts for Two! We’ve loads of issues deliberate within the subsequent few weeks, so prepare!
Cook dinner Time
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 massive egg
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the frosting:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 ounces whipped cream cheese (about ½ cup)
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- sweet hearts or sprinkles, for adorning
- Preheat the oven to 350, and line a 8×8″ pan one-way with parchment paper.
- Within the bowl of a mini stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, make the cookies: add the softened butter and beat on medium-high velocity for about 30 seconds, to fluff it up. Slowly pour within the granulated sugar whereas persevering with to beat.
- Subsequent, add the egg and vanilla extract, and beat to mix.
- Flip off the stand mixer, and sprinkle the flour, baking powder and salt evenly on high.
- Flip the mixer again on LOW and beat to include the dry components.
- Scoop the batter into the baking pan, and press it flat together with your fingers.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or till a toothpick inserted comes out principally clear with just a few crumbs. Let cool utterly.
- In a clear mini stand mixer bowl, make the frosting: beat collectively the softened butter and cream cheese for 1 minute, till fluffy. Add the vanilla and beat to mix.
- Flip the mixer to low and add the powdered sugar one-half cup at a time whereas persevering with to combine.
- Add a splash of milk if you happen to suppose it must be thinner.
- Unfold the frosting over the cooled cookie, embellish with sweet, after which slice to serve.
Butter: The bottom of each good sugar cookie is high-quality unsalted butter. I prefer to bake with European-style butter as a result of it has a barely larger fats share, however any stick of butter will work right here. We’d like one stick for the sugar cookie bar base and one other half-stick for the frosting.
Salt: A small quantity of salt is essential right here to steadiness the tremendous candy base.
Whipped Cream Cheese: Sure, we’re baking with whipped cream cheese, though I stated it is very uncommon to bake with this product. It is good on this clean, creamy cream cheese frosting.
Storage: These bars should be refrigerated due to the cream cheese within the frosting. They preserve within the fridge for as much as 5 days. They will also be frozen (with out frosting) for as much as 3 months. Defrost within the fridge, make the frosting and serve.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 431Complete Fats: 20gSaturated Fats: 12gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 7gLdl cholesterol: 71mgSodium: 127mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 1gSugar: 42gProtein: 4g