Making essentially the most delectable raspberry cake filling is less complicated than you assume! Utilizing frozen or contemporary raspberries and simply 5 different substances, it comes collectively in lower than quarter-hour. Put together it prematurely so it has time to chill fully earlier than spreading onto your frosted cake layers.
For years, readers have requested if I’ve a raspberry cake filling recipe. The reply has at all times been no, as a result of I’ve by no means actually made a profitable batch that tastes nice AND holds up between cake layers. However that modified the opposite week as I lowered down countless packages of frozen raspberries over the range. (And loved loads of the leftovers stirred into oatmeal.) And so, by in style demand…
When creating this recipe, I began with my recipe for raspberry sauce. I knew I needed to make it thicker, with out straining the seeds, and that it wanted to arrange properly in order that it wouldn’t ooze out of a cake. It additionally wanted to be a bit sticky, so it wouldn’t trigger the cake layers to slip round. Oozing, slippery muffins are NOT on the menu at present.
The recipes are fairly comparable, however this one thickens up right into a jam-like consistency due to a bit extra cornstarch and longer cooking time. I first examined it with this epic chocolate raspberry cake!
Key Elements You Want for Raspberry Cake Filling & Why:
- Water & Cornstarch: Cornstarch is the magic thickener for this raspberry filling. You don’t want a lot, however you could dissolve it in a bit water earlier than utilizing. That is known as a “slurry”; see strawberry sauce for instance.
- Raspberries: You’ll love the comfort of utilizing frozen berries, that are sometimes frozen at their peak freshness and sweetness. You want 12 ounces (340g). Recent raspberries work simply as effectively.
- Sugar: You solely want 1/3 cup (67g). The raspberry filling must be a bit tart, since you’ll pair it with cake and frosting.
- Lemon Juice: The filling wants *one thing* to steadiness the berry and sugar, and lemon juice gives that trace of freshness. Don’t depart it out or the filling will style fairly flat.
- Vanilla Extract: Add a bit splash of vanilla extract to the filling as soon as it comes off the warmth. It tastes and smells unimaginable!
Only a Few Minutes on the Range
Stir collectively all of the substances—aside from the vanilla—in a saucepan set over medium warmth. Because the combination heats up and the frozen raspberries thaw, use a silicone spatula to smash the berries. This will get simpler because the raspberries soften. By the point it begins to boil, the raspberries must be principally crushed, so the combination has an excellent consistency with no massive lumps.
Enable it to boil, nonetheless on medium warmth, for five full minutes, stirring often.
Take away from warmth and stir within the vanilla extract. Take an enormous whiff—it smells superb!
Let it cool at room temperature for about quarter-hour after which switch to a heatproof bowl and refrigerate. It should proceed to thicken and arrange because it chills.
Learn how to Assemble a Cake With Raspberry Filling
I.e., easy methods to stop the ooze issue.
You’ll have essentially the most success with this raspberry filling in your cake in case you accomplice it with some frosting. My crew and I examined a cake with simply the raspberry filling in between the cake layers—frosting solely on the skin of the cake—and decided it actually wants a buttercream base layer to maintain the cake secure.
Select a sturdy frosting, like a vanilla buttercream or Swiss meringue buttercream (extra ideas under). Unfold a skinny layer in your cake layers, to work as the bottom to your raspberry filling to cling to.
You Additionally Want a Buttercream “Dam”
Spoon frosting right into a piping bag fitted with a big spherical tip, resembling Wilton 2A. (Or simply use a disposable piping bag and minimize about 3/4 inch (2cm) off the tip and use that with no piping tip.) That is for piping a “dam” across the frosted cake layer earlier than spreading the raspberry filling inside its border.
Why am I doing this? The buttercream dam retains the jammy filling in place, so it doesn’t seep out the edges of your cake. You’ll have an oozy mess in any other case.
After you add the dam, unfold the raspberry cake filling within the middle:
Finest Frostings to Pair With Raspberry Filling
Listed below are some sturdy frostings that you should use as the skinny base layer below your raspberry cake filling and piped as a “dam” round it:
Makes use of for Raspberry Cake Filling (Even Past Cake!)
This recipe makes a bit greater than 1 cup of raspberry filling (about 340g). I discover it to be simply the correct quantity for a 3-layer 8-inch or 9-inch cake (with 2 layers of raspberry filling). Use a heaping 1/2 cup between every layer. Or you should use it on a 2-layer 8-inch or 9-inch cake or a 3-layer 6-inch cake, pictured on this publish, and have a bit left over to serve alongside the cake slices (or stir into yogurt, oatmeal, and so on.). Attempt it in one among these recipes:
FAQ: Can I Make Raspberry-Crammed Cupcakes?
Completely, and I hope you attempt it! Have you ever ever made my cream-filled chocolate cupcakes earlier than? You’ll fill your cupcakes the very same approach with this raspberry cake filling, and I embody these directions within the filling recipe under. You need to use any taste cupcake, so browse my cupcake recipes to search out some inspiration. Pictured listed below are my vanilla cupcakes.
Utilizing contemporary or frozen raspberries and simply 5 different substances, this raspberry cake filling comes collectively in lower than quarter-hour. Make it prematurely so it has time to chill fully earlier than assembling your cake. For greatest outcomes, I like to recommend spreading a layer of frosting in your cake layer, piping a frosting dam across the edge, after which spreading the raspberry filling contained in the frosting border. See above for a visible.
- Whisk the cornstarch and water collectively till all of the cornstarch has dissolved. (I simply use a fork to combine—very simple.) Mix cornstarch combination, raspberries (no have to thaw if utilizing frozen), granulated sugar, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan set over medium warmth. Utilizing a silicone spatula, stir the combination, mashing the raspberries as they start to thaw and soften.
- Convey to a boil and let it boil for five full minutes, stirring often. Take away pan from warmth and stir in vanilla extract.
- Enable the raspberry filling to chill at room temperature for 10–quarter-hour, then switch it to a bowl or container and place it within the fridge for no less than 4 hours and as much as 1 week (the longer, the higher). No have to cowl it; but when refrigerating for longer than 4 hours, cowl tightly. It should proceed to thicken up because it chills. Raspberry filling should be fully cooled earlier than utilizing in your cake. If freezing, see Notice under for directions.
- To fill cake: You need to use the fully cooled and thickened raspberry filling to fill a 2-layer or 3-layer cake. You’ll have essentially the most success with this raspberry filling in case you accomplice it with some frosting filling; it actually wants a buttercream base layer to maintain the cake layers secure. Unfold a skinny layer of buttercream/frosting in your cake layers, to work because the sturdy base to your raspberry filling. Doesn’t have to be a lot; only a skinny layer. You additionally want a buttercream “dam” across the cake layers to maintain the jammy raspberry filling contained in the cake layers. Spoon some buttercream right into a piping bag fitted with a big spherical tip, resembling Wilton 2A. Pipe a border across the cake. Then, unfold the raspberry filling contained in the buttercream border. An offset spatula is useful for spreading. Assemble subsequent cake layer on prime, and repeat. For a 3-layer 8-inch or 9-inch cake, use a heaping 1/2 cup between every layer. For a 2-layer 8-inch or 9-inch cake, use about 3/4 cup filling; you’ll have some left over. See Notice under for different cake sizes.
- To fill cupcakes: With a pointy knife, minimize a circle in a cooled cupcake, and take away the middle, which might be roughly the form of a cone. Utilizing a small spoon, fill the center of the cupcake with as a lot raspberry filling as you possibly can. (Normally between 1–2 teaspoons.) Slice/tear off the pointed tip of the cone-shaped piece of cupcake, and gently press the spherical piece again on prime of the filling. Repeat with remaining cupcakes. Makes sufficient filling to fill 2 dozen cupcakes. Or fill 1 dozen, and have some filling left over.
- Cake or cupcakes stuffed with raspberry filling and topped with buttercream are sometimes nice lined at room temperature for 1 day. Cowl and retailer within the fridge after that.
- Freezing Directions: After the raspberry filling cools fully, freeze in a freezer-friendly container for as much as 3–6 months. Thaw on the counter or within the fridge earlier than utilizing. It will likely be very thick.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Disposable or Reusable Piping Luggage and Wilton 2A (for the frosting dam) | Offset Spatula
- What measurement cake ought to I make? This recipe makes a bit greater than 1 cup of raspberry filling (about 340g). I discover it to be simply the correct quantity for a 3-layer 8-inch or 9-inch cake (with 2 layers of raspberry filling). Use a heaping 1/2 cup between every layer. Or you should use it on a 2-layer 8-inch or 9-inch cake, and match about 3/4 cup within the middle; you’ll have some left over. Or attempt a 3-layer 6-inch cake, pictured at present, with about 1/3 cup between every layer.
- Makes use of for Leftover Raspberry Cake Filling: Serve leftover raspberry filling alongside the cake slices or cupcakes. You may as well add it to smoothies; stir into yogurt, cottage cheese, or oatmeal; and use as a jam on toast or scones.
- Ought to I exploit contemporary or frozen raspberries? I favor frozen. You could find them 12 months spherical, they’re at all times flavorful, they usually sometimes are available 12-ounce baggage, which is the precise quantity you want on this recipe. You possibly can positively use the identical quantity of contemporary raspberries when you have them. The top result’s just about the identical.
- Can I pressure out the seeds? You possibly can, however the raspberry filling doesn’t keep as thick. You’ll want so as to add no less than 1 extra teaspoon cornstarch. And also you’ll have rather a lot much less filling. I strongly suggest conserving the seeds within the filling.
- Can I exploit different berries? I’ve solely examined this with the identical quantity of contemporary or frozen blackberries, and it really works splendidly. No adjustments to the recipe, simply swap the berries. For a strawberry cake filling, I exploit and suggest the filling from these strawberry shortcake cupcakes. Nonetheless engaged on a blueberry model.
- Does this work as a topping for muffins and cheesecakes? It’s fairly thick. As an alternative, I like to recommend my raspberry sauce recipe.
Key phrases: raspberry cake filling