Discover ways to make quiche! This simple spinach quiche recipe has a fragile egg filling and a flaky, buttery crust. It is a scrumptious breakfast or brunch!
I’m making this spinach quiche recipe for Easter brunch this 12 months, and I’m already trying ahead to it. It’s a change from my typical breakfast casserole or frittata, and although it’s (a lot) extra time-intensive, each second is price it. This spinach quiche is melt-in-your mouth scrumptious. It has a buttery, flaky crust and a custardy egg filling that’s flecked with tender spinach, inexperienced onions, and salty feta cheese.
In case you’re tempted to strive it, you’ll find my step-by-step information to make quiche beneath, full with all my finest suggestions for quiche success. I do know that pastry could be intimidating, however I hope you gained’t let this quiche recipe scare you. It’s simple to grasp, and it’s a beautiful addition to any breakfast or brunch. I believe you’re going to adore it!
Quiche is a savory egg custard tart or pie. It differs from a frittata in that it a) has a crust and b) has the next proportion of milk or cream to egg within the filling. (For reference, I exploit 6 eggs and 1/4 cup milk in my frittata recipe and the identical variety of eggs and 1/2 cup milk in my quiche filling. Many quiche recipes use much more milk or heavy cream!)
Quiche’s most well-known iteration, the bacon, cheese, and onion quiche Lorraine, originated within the Lorraine area of Northeast France, the place it possible descended from the kuchen of close by Germany. Quiche had a little bit of a heyday within the US within the Seventies and 80s, and it nonetheless stays standard in the present day. Like a frittata, it really works fantastically with quite a lot of greens and cheeses within the egg filling. I’ve loved quiche flecked with potatoes, mushrooms, asparagus, cheddar, Swiss cheese, and extra. However this straightforward spinach quiche is my favourite I’ve tried up to now.
Spinach Quiche Recipe Elements
Right here’s what you’ll have to make this spinach quiche recipe:
- Spinach, in fact! I exploit contemporary child spinach right here as a result of I like the feel of the entire leaves. Thawed frozen chopped spinach works too.
- Eggs and unsweetened almond milk – They create the custard filling. Sub complete milk for the almond milk in case you desire.
- Feta cheese or goat cheese – It provides tangy, salty taste to the filling.
- Scallions – For a contemporary, oniony kick.
- Salt and pepper – To make all of the flavors pop!
- And my Straightforward Pie Crust – It’s flaky, buttery, and tremendous easy to make. This recipe yields sufficient dough for 2 quiches. Make each side-by-side, or freeze the additional dough for as much as 3 months. To simplify this recipe, you can use store-bought pie dough, however you’ll nonetheless have to blind bake it. Extra on that beneath!
Discover the whole recipe with measurements beneath.
Learn how to Make Quiche
Step one on this spinach quiche recipe is making the pie crust. You will discover step-by-step pictures and directions for making it in my pie crust recipe weblog submit. Earlier than you get cooking, listed here are just a few key suggestions:
- Hold all of the elements chilly. For the flakiest crust, you need the butter to soften whereas it’s within the oven, not earlier than. Make the pie dough with ice water and butter that’s chilly from the fridge.
- It has to relax for a minimum of 2 hours. Be sure you account for this time if you’re planning to make this quiche recipe! If you wish to get forward, you can also make the dough prematurely. It retains for as much as 2 days within the fridge and for as much as 3 months within the freezer.
- You’ll have to blind bake it. Nobody likes a quiche with a soggy backside! Blind baking the crust helps it arrange earlier than you add the filling. Discover detailed blind baking directions within the recipe card beneath.
After you blind bake the crust, begin on the filling. Steam the spinach till it’s simply wilted. Then, switch it to a kitchen towel and wring out the surplus water.
In a big bowl, whisk collectively the eggs and milk, beating till no streaks of egg white stay.
Add the steamed spinach, inexperienced onions, cheese, salt, and a number of other grinds of pepper. Combine to mix.
Then, assemble the quiche. Pour the egg combination into the par-baked pie crust (it’s okay if it’s nonetheless heat). If obligatory, easy the filling into a good layer.
Lastly, bake in a 350°F oven till the eggs are simply set, 40 to 50 minutes. Permit to chill for a minimum of 10 minutes earlier than slicing and serving. Get pleasure from!
Ideas for Success
- Par-bake the crust. It’s price repeating: if you’re making quiche, at all times blind bake the crust earlier than you add the filling. With out blind baking, the crust can be gummy and underdone on the underside. With it, the crust comes out gloriously flaky and crisp. Word that you just’ll blind bake the crust at the next oven temperature than you’ll use for the precise quiche. The excessive warmth is essential for getting scrumptious layers within the pastry.
- Squeeze the spinach. A basic quiche pitfall is utilizing greens that launch an excessive amount of moisture into the filling, thereby stopping it from organising. Keep away from this by squeezing the surplus water out of the spinach after you steam it. In case you’re utilizing thawed frozen spinach, skip the steaming step, however nonetheless press out as a lot moisture as you possibly can.
- Cook dinner till it’s simply set. Once you’re checking for doneness, keep in mind that the quiche will proceed cooking for a couple of minutes after it comes out of the oven. You need it to be mushy and custardy, not overdone and dry, so intention to bake the eggs till they’re simply set. In my oven, this takes 45 minutes.
- Make it a meal. Serve slices of spinach quiche for brunch alongside a inexperienced salad or fruit salad. Spherical out the menu with carrot muffins, strawberry muffins, or slices of lemon yogurt cake.
- The leftovers are nice. Leftover quiche retains nicely for as much as 3 days in an hermetic container within the fridge. It’s unbelievable heat or at room temperature. Get pleasure from it for a fast breakfast, lunch, and even dinner!
Extra Favourite Brunch Recipes
In case you love this spinach quiche recipe, strive certainly one of these scrumptious brunch recipes subsequent:
This simple quiche recipe is a scrumptious breakfast or brunch! The fragile egg custard filling is flecked with spinach, inexperienced onions, and tangy, salty feta cheese. Serve it with a inexperienced salad or contemporary fruit. Word: you may want a 9- or 9.5-inch pie pan to make this recipe.
Pie Dish (I like this glass dish as a result of I can see if the crust is completed on the underside)
Roll out one disk of pie dough in line with the directions in this recipe, till you could have a big circle about ⅛-inch thick. Gently roll it over your rolling pin and unroll it over a 9- or 9.5-inch pie dish. Use your palms to press it firmly into the underside and up the perimeters. Trim any extra dough so that you’ve got a ½-inch overhang on all sides of the pie plate, then roll the sting of the dough beneath itself to line up with the rim of the plate. Use your fingers or a fork to crimp. Loosely tent with plastic wrap and refrigerate when you preheat the oven to 425°F.
When the oven is scorching, uncover the crust and prick the underside throughout with a fork. Line with parchment paper and fill with dried beans or pie weights to achieve the highest of the crust. Bake for quarter-hour, or till the perimeters of the crust are set.
Take away from the oven and carry the pie weights and parchment paper out of the crust. Bake the crust for one more 5 to eight minutes, or till the underside is starting to set. Take away from the oven and put aside to chill barely.
Cut back the oven temperature to 350°F.
Place the spinach in a steamer basket and set over a pot full of 1 inch of water. Deliver the water to a simmer, cowl, and steam for 1 to 2 minutes, or till the spinach is wilted. Switch to a kitchen towel and permit to chill barely, then wring the surplus water out of the spinach.
In a big bowl, whisk collectively the eggs and milk. Add the steamed spinach, feta, scallions, salt, and a number of other grinds of pepper and stir to mix. Pour into the par-baked crust. If obligatory, use a spatula to easy the egg combination into a good layer.
Bake the quiche for 40 to 50 minutes, or till the eggs are simply set. Permit to chill for 10 minutes earlier than slicing and serving.
**Frozen chopped spinach works too. No have to steam—simply permit the spinach to thaw absolutely and squeeze out the surplus water earlier than including it to the egg combination.
Sources: Melissa Clark’s Transient Historical past of Quiche and Sweet Sagon’s article about Americanized variations of quiche