This do-it-yourself Spanish rice recipe is a simple, scrumptious aspect dish! Fluffy and flavorful, it pairs completely with Mexican mains like tacos and enchiladas.
I’ve eaten Spanish rice at Mexican eating places numerous instances, nevertheless it wasn’t till this 12 months that I began making this Spanish rice recipe at house. As we speak’s put up is a PSA: in case you’re not already making do-it-yourself Spanish rice, it’s time to begin. You’re severely lacking out!
Spanish rice, additionally known as Mexican rice or arroz rojo, is a sort of rice pilaf cooked with onions and garlic, tomatoes, peppers, and spices. It’s generally eaten all through northern Mexico and the southwestern United States, and it’s the proper aspect dish for a merely cooked protein or Mexican fare like tacos and enchiladas.
The recipe beneath has grow to be my go-to technique for easy methods to make Spanish rice. It’s SO simple, and it comes out moist, fluffy, and flavorful each time. I feel you’re going to adore it.
Spanish Rice Recipe Substances
Right here’s what you’ll must make this simple Spanish rice recipe:
- Rice, after all! Lengthy-grain white rice, corresponding to basmati, works finest on this recipe. You may as well use brown rice, however you’ll want to extend the broth measurement to 2 cups. Simmer the rice for 45 minutes as a substitute of 15.
- Onion and garlic – For savory depth of taste.
- Additional-virgin olive oil – It provides richness to the rice and helps all of the flavors meld. Be at liberty to sub a impartial cooking oil, corresponding to avocado or canola oil, in case you choose.
- Tomato paste, plus diced contemporary tomatoes or canned tomato sauce – They provide the rice its signature pink coloration and add tangy tomato taste. Be at liberty to make use of both diced contemporary tomatoes or the canned tomato sauce. Each choices work nice!
- Jalapeño pepper – For delicate warmth and interesting flecks of inexperienced. In the event you don’t like spicy meals, exchange the jalapeño with 1/4 cup chopped inexperienced bell pepper.
- Dried oregano – I take advantage of this dried herb in lots of my favourite Mexican dishes. It provides earthy depth to the rice.
- Vegetable broth – You possibly can sub water, however cooking the rice in broth makes it that rather more flavorful. Use store-bought, or make do-it-yourself vegetable broth.
- And sea salt – To make all of the flavors pop!
Discover the whole recipe with measurements beneath.
Easy methods to Make Spanish Rice
This Mexican rice recipe is so easy to make! Right here’s the way it goes:
First, rinse the rice. That is my first step each time I’m cooking rice, because it removes starches that may trigger the rice to clump. Place it in a advantageous mesh strainer set over a bowl, and rinse it underneath cool working water till the water within the bowl runs clear.
Subsequent, sauté the onion and toast the rice. Warmth the olive oil in a medium pot or Dutch oven over medium warmth. Add the onion and prepare dinner till it’s smooth and translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add the rice and prepare dinner, stirring usually, for one more 2 minutes, till it’s aromatic.
Then, add the remaining substances. Stir within the tomato paste and garlic, adopted by the diced tomatoes or tomato sauce, jalapeño, salt, and oregano.
Pour within the broth, and convey it to a boil.
Cut back the warmth, cowl the pot, and simmer the rice for quarter-hour, or till the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
Lastly, let the rice steam. Take away it from the warmth and let it sit, coated, for 10 minutes.
You’re able to serve! Fluff the cooked rice with a fork and luxuriate in.
What to Serve with Mexican Rice
My favourite factor to serve with Mexican rice? Mexican meals! It could be a scrumptious aspect dish for any of those Mexican-inspired recipes:
Listed below are a number of extra nice methods to make use of it:
How do you prefer to serve Mexican rice? Let me know within the feedback!
Leftover Spanish rice will preserve within the fridge for as much as 4 days. To reheat it, heat it within the microwave or on the range with a small splash of water or vegetable broth.
The rice additionally freezes properly. Stash it in an hermetic container or bag within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Thaw it within the microwave or in a single day within the fridge.
Extra Favourite Rice Recipes
In the event you love this Spanish rice recipe, attempt one in all these easy rice dishes subsequent:
Warmth the olive oil in a medium Dutch oven or pot. Add the onion and prepare dinner for five to eight minutes, or till softened. Add the rice and prepare dinner for two minutes, or till aromatic and toasted.
Stir within the tomato paste and garlic, then add the contemporary tomatoes, jalapeño, salt, oregano, and broth. Deliver to a boil. Cowl, cut back the warmth, and simmer for quarter-hour, or till the liquid is absorbed.
Take away from the warmth and let sit, coated, for 10 extra minutes. Fluff with a fork.