Crustless hen pot pie made in a skillet! As an alternative of pastry, serve this skillet of hen pot pie filling over buttered toast for a yummy straightforward dinner, all made in simply half-hour!
Crustless hen pot pie
Crustless hen pot pie is for individuals who love the within of hen pot pie, however completely can’t be bothered to make use of a crust. Both you do not wish to purchase pie crust and roll it out, you do not wish to make crust from scratch, or it was omitted out of your grocery order and you’ve got all of the substances to make hen pot pie, besides the crust! I am undoubtedly talking from expertise right here!
I really feel like I’ve relationship going with my grocery shopper, however how have been they to know that the entire substances for hen pot pie in my cart ought to be put again when you realized store-bought pie crust was out of inventory? I do not blame them one bit, as a result of I nonetheless made a yummy dinner!
Serving this crustless hen pot pie over buttery toast was one of the best determination! My children thought it was enjoyable to dunk the toast, and since they each love bread, it helped them eat extra of their dinner. It is a enjoyable approach to stretch my hen pot pie for 2 right into a meal for my household of 4.
Crustless Rooster Pot Pie Components
- hen tenders
- frozen peas: You want ¼ cup frozen, OR, you possibly can completely use ¾ cup of frozen combined greens as a substitute of carrot, peas, and corn individually. You may need some leftover from my shepherds pie for 2.
- frozen corn
- dried thyme leaves
- heavy cream
- 2 slices thick bread: I like thick Texas toast smeared with butter and positioned within the toaster oven till aromatic for this recipe. Use your favourite bread, and be beneficiant with the butter! It’s good to make my strawberry cheesecake toast for dessert with the leftover bread!
The way to make Rooster Pot Pie Filling
- To a ten” skillet, add half of the butter and soften over medium low warmth. Add the chopped hen tenders, and prepare dinner till golden brown on either side, about 4 minutes on either side.
- Take away the hen from the pan, after which add the remaining half of the butter, adopted by the onions and carrots. Let these saute and begin to soften over medium warmth for about 5 minutes, stirring sometimes.
- Subsequent, add the frozen corn, peas, and thyme leaves, stirring all the things collectively. Sprinkle the flour evenly over the skillet, stir it and let it prepare dinner for 1 minute.
- As soon as the flour has cooked for a minute, add the cream and stir very effectively to convey up any scrumptious brown bits within the skillet. Then, add the milk, salt and pepper. Let it simmer till it thickens, about 1-2 minutes. Style, and regulate it for additional seasoning, if wanted.
- Whereas all the things comes collectively and thickens, unfold butter generously in your toast slices, and serve this crustless hen pot pie filling over the buttered toast.
I promise your entire household will loves this recipe! It makes use of ½ a pound of hen tenders to serve 2-3 individuals, however you possibly can double the recipe to make it serve extra individuals and use a complete pound of hen tenders.
Are you able to make this crustless hen pot pie forward of time?
Since my household loves this recipe, I’ve made the complete filling and saved it within the fridge for as much as 2 days earlier than serving. The evening you serve it, make the toast, heat the filling by way of, and serve. You may need to skinny the filling with a splash of milk.
Is that this recipe gluten free because it would not have a crust?
Sadly, the filling depends on flour for thickening. Nonetheless, you possibly can substitute it to make it really gluten free a couple of methods. You’ll be able to dissolve cornstarch within the COLD milk earlier than pouring it into the skillet. You should use a one-for-one gluten free flour substitution, or you should use arrowroot!
Should you want gluten free, you need to attempt my candy potato toast.
What to Serve with This Rooster Pot Pie Skillet
My favourite factor to serve with this straightforward dinner is a salad with a shiny and tangy French dressing. A traditional Italian salad with a balsamic dressing is the proper facet dish.
Storing Leftover Rooster Pot Pie Filling
If in case you have any leftovers, transfer them to an hermetic meals storage container and place them within the fridge for as much as 3 days. To reheat, use the microwave or place it in a pot and warmth over low till effervescent. It’s possible you’ll want so as to add a splash of hen broth to skinny it out.
Rooster Pot Pie Skillet
How do you thicken a pot pie filling?
This recipe comprises flour for thickening. If for some purpose it isn’t thickening for you, crank the warmth up and let it bubble till it’s thick.
In search of extra hen recipes?
Extra Favorites from Dessert for Two
Cook dinner Time
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided use
- ½ pound uncooked hen tenders, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small carrot, diced
- ¼ cup frozen peas
- ¼ cup frozen corn
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 cup 2% milk
- salt, to style
- pepper, to style
- 2 slices thick bread
- In a small skillet, add 1 tablespoon of the butter. Flip the warmth to medium and let soften whilst you chop the hen.
- Add the hen to the skillet, together with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook dinner the hen till either side are brown, about 4 minutes a facet. It is okay if the insides are nonetheless barely pink. Take away the hen from the pan, attempting to go away as a lot butter as doable, and return the pan to the warmth.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of butter to the pan, together with the onions and carrots. Saute for five minutes over low warmth till the greens have softened, however not browned. The onions should not brown.
- Add the peas and corn and switch the warmth again to medium. Crush the thyme leaves in your hand to launch the oils and add them to the skillet. Stir to mix. Sprinkle over the flour and stir to mix. Let prepare dinner for 1 minute.
- Add the heavy cream and milk to the pan, together with a couple of pinches of salt and pepper, to style.
- Add the hen again within the pan, and toss to coat it with the sauce. Convey the combination to a simmer over medium warmth till thickened. It ought to take 1-2 minutes to thicken.
- In the meantime, toast the bread. Slice it on the diagonal.
- Divide the toast between two plates and high with hen combination. Serve instantly.
frozen greens: You want ¼ cup frozen corn and peas, plus chopped carrot. It’s possible you’ll substitute ¾ cup of frozen combined greens as a substitute of carrot, peas, and corn individually.
dried thyme leaves: use thyme leaves, not floor thyme for this recipe.
2 slices thick bread: I like thick Texas toast smeared with butter and positioned within the toaster oven till aromatic for this recipe. Use your favourite bread, and be beneficiant with the butter!
Really useful Merchandise
As an Amazon Affiliate and member of different affiliate packages, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 727Whole Fats: 40gSaturated Fats: 16gTrans Fats: 1gUnsaturated Fats: 20gLdl cholesterol: 109mgSodium: 1533mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 5gSugar: 13gProtein: 32g