Quiche Lorraine combines savory egg custard with crisp, flaky pie crust. My recipe is made with bacon, onions, and cheese for the BEST taste! Be happy to customise together with your favourite add-ins. Recipe features a step-by-step how-to video.
The BEST Quiche Recipe
This quiche Lorraine recipe involves you by e-mail request from reader Mary Jo G.! I at all times respect your recipe requests and attempt to make them as I’m in a position, so please hold sending them in. This was a enjoyable one!
Why you must strive it:
- Clean, nearly custardy texture due to a mix of eggs and heavy cream (I do embody directions for substituting some milk although!). The filling is wealthy and creamy with out being cloying or too heavy in your abdomen.
- Customizable; add your favourite protein, veggies, and cheeses. A handful of wilted spinach could be an incredible addition, and a beautiful method so as to add some inexperienced into your eating regimen.
- Good textural distinction between the buttery, flaky crust and creamy filling. I like to recommend utilizing my home made pie crust quite than store-bought so to skip the preservatives and maximize on taste.
- Might be made prematurely, so it’s excellent for vacation breakfasts or brunch (alongside some cinnamon rolls or espresso cake).
Earlier than we get began with the recipe, I needed to cowl my bases and get into the nitty gritty about what a quiche Lorraine historically is and why my recipe varies from the strictest norms.
A Notice on Conventional Quiche Lorraine
Quiche Lorraine originated within the Lorraine area of France as a easy, no-fuss recipe. It was initially made with bread dough, cream, eggs, and bacon. Moreover utilizing pie crust as an alternative of bread dough, you’ll additionally discover that I add cheese to my recipe (and some different taste boosters!). Some purists will possible discover a difficulty with this, so let me clarify earlier than anybody begins sounding off within the feedback 😉.
Simply as I acknowledged with my fettuccine alfredo recipe, I would like remind steadfast purists that I don’t purpose to present you skeletally genuine recipes; my objective is to provide the greatest, tastiest variations of those recipes. In any other case, I’d simply be regurgitating the originals, and nobody actually wants me to try this!
So what follows under is my model, and it makes use of cheese as a result of, nicely, cheese is scrumptious and it merely simply does enhance the dish. Traditionalists, you’ll simply have search your genuine recipes elsewhere. I’m sorry you’ll miss out! 🤪
What You Want
Whereas my recipe isn’t essentially conventional, it’s the BEST quiche Lorraine I’ve ever had. Because of this, you will notice some substances listed under that aren’t standard (however they add a lot of taste!).
- Pie crust. Shortcrust is often used for quiche, however I personally a lot desire to make use of my favourite simple pie crust. Alternatively you possibly can use a store-bought crust.
- Bacon. Drain all however one tablespoon of the grease, which we are going to use to cook dinner our onion and garlic. This provides such a pleasant taste to our quiche Lorraine!
- Tabasco. A number of dashes of scorching sauce add a refined depth of taste. Cayenne pepper would additionally work should you don’t hold Tabasco readily available.
- Nutmeg. A pinch of nutmeg is conventional in quiche Lorraine, however you’ll be able to at all times go away this out should you aren’t a fan of nutmeg.
- Cheese. Not conventional, however completely essential in my e book! Gruyere and parmesan are my favorites right here, however cheddar or Swiss cheese could be nice choices too. Decide a tough cheese that you simply like consuming, and ensure to grate it your self for greatest outcomes.
Additionally, you will want a baking pan! I exploit a 9.5″ quiche pan (linked under). A normal 9-9.5″ pie plate will work right here, or you should use a 1.5″ deep tart pan. Most tart pans gained’t be sufficiently big for all of the filling this recipe makes, so you should have further if yours isn’t 1.5″ deep.
SAM’S TIP: For straightforward transferring in/out of the oven, place your quiche pan on a foil lined baking sheet. This additionally will catch any spills so your oven stays clear!
Bear in mind, that is simply an summary of the substances I used and why. For the complete recipe please scroll all the way down to the underside of the submit!
Tips on how to Make Quiche Lorraine
- Chill + first bake – Kind your pie crust in your pan, then place within the freezer to sit back whereas your oven preheats to 400F. As soon as your oven is prepared, line your crust with parchment paper, add pie weights, and bake for Quarter-hour.
- Take away the parchment paper and pie weights, then dock the underside crust with a fork (you’ll be able to see I missed that step right here, whoops!) and brush with egg wash.
- Bake the crust for an additional 8-10 minutes or till the underside turns a light-weight brown coloration. Scale back the oven warmth to 375F and let the crust cool when you put together your filling.
- Cook dinner the bacon over medium warmth till crisp, then take away to a paper towel lined plate. Drain all however 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease.
- Add the onion to the remaining bacon grease and cook dinner over medium warmth till softened, then add the garlic and cook dinner for 30 seconds. Take away from the warmth.
- Whisk collectively the eggs, cream, tabasco, salt, and spices in a big measuring cup.
- Add the cheese, bacon, onions, and garlic to your ready crust, then evenly pour the filling combination overtop.
- Bake at 375F for 35 minutes or till set. Your quiche Lorraine is completed when the perimeters are set however the middle remains to be a bit jiggly–this yields that excellent, borderline custardy texture. To check for doneness, insert a pointy knife into the middle of the quiche; if it comes out clear, it’s prepared!
SAM’S TIP: Should you battle together with your crust burning (I haven’t) you’ll be able to cowl the perimeters of the crust with foil or use a pie defend.
Steadily Requested Questions
Sure! Technically you wouldn’t be making quiche Lorraine should you did, however it is going to nonetheless be tasty. You possibly can swap the bacon for ham or sausage, add completely different veggies like mushrooms, solar dried tomatoes, broccoli, or spinach, and use your favourite cheeses. This recipe is flexible!
Sure. Listed here are detailed directions for making ready prematurely:
Freezing earlier than baking: Assemble the quiche as instructed (par bake the crust) and place within the freezer till stable. Then, take away the quiche, wrap tightly in plastic after which foil. You might hold frozen for as much as a month. To bake, take away the wrap and bake straight from the freezer, observe that the bake time might improve by as a lot as 10-Quarter-hour.
Freezing after baking: Bake the quiche as instructed and funky utterly. Wrap in plastic after which foil and freeze for as much as a month. To reheat, thaw the quiche in a single day within the fridge then pop in a 325F (165C) oven and warmth till warmed via (about Quarter-hour).
Refrigerating: You possibly can bake the quiche and canopy and refrigerate for as much as 3 days earlier than serving. Reheat in a 325F (165C) oven for 15-20 minutes.
Sure! Blind baking the crust helps keep away from a soggy pie crust backside. I’m going over how to do that intimately in my how you can blind bake pie crust submit, should you want extra data on this course of.
What recipe would you prefer to see subsequent? Let me know within the feedback under!
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video under! Should you do this recipe, remember to tag me on Instagram, and you may as well discover me on YouTube and Fb
Servings: 10 servings
Stop your display screen from going darkish
Blind-bake the crust
Kind pie dough into quiche pan. Flute the perimeters. Place pan in freezer and preheat oven to 400F (200C). Permit crust to sit back whereas oven preheats.
1 pie crust
As soon as oven is preheated, take away quiche pan from freezer, line with parchment paper, and fill with pie weights. Switch to middle rack of oven and bake for Quarter-hour.
Whereas crust cooks, put together egg wash by whisking collectively 1 egg with a teaspoon of water.
1 egg, 1 teaspoon water
Take away from oven, fastidiously take away pie weights, and brush the edges and backside of the crust together with your egg wash. Prick the underside of the quiche crust throughout with a fork.
Return quiche pan to the oven and proceed to bake one other 8-10 minutes longer or till backside is starting to frivolously brown. Take away from oven and scale back warmth to 375F (190C). Permit crust to chill when you put together filling.
Place bacon in a medium-sized skillet over medium warmth and cook dinner till crisp and deep golden brown. Take away to a paper towel lined plate.
4 items bacon
Drain all however 1 Tbsp of the grease from the pan. Add onion and cook dinner till softened (about 5 minutes). Add garlic and cook dinner till aromatic (about 30 seconds). Take away from warmth.
½ cup finely chopped yellow onion, 1 teaspoon minced garlic
In a big measuring cup, whisk collectively eggs, heavy cream, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and Tabasco sauce.
4 giant eggs, 1 ½ cup (354 ml) heavy cream, ½ teaspoon desk salt, ¼ teaspoon floor black pepper, ⅛ teaspoon floor nutmeg, 3-5 drops Tabasco sauce
Crumble bacon evenly over the quiche crust and scatter cheese, onions, and garlic evenly overtop. Pour egg combination evenly over the crust. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet (in case of spills) and switch to middle rack of 375F (190C) oven. Bake for 35 minutes or till edges are set however the middle nonetheless barely jiggles. A pointy knife inserted within the middle of the quiche ought to come out clear.
4 oz (113 g) shredded cheese – I do largely gruyere with a little bit of parmesan
Permit to chill about Quarter-hour earlier than slicing and serving.
A quiche pan is deeper than a tart pan. Right here is a quiche pan that I exploit. Not all the filling will match should you decide to make use of a tart pan. Should you don’t have a quiche pan, you possibly can as an alternative use a 9 or 9 ½” pie plate, as an alternative.
You might substitute ½ cup of the heavy cream with entire milk, if desired. It will make the tart a bit much less creamy.
Gruyere is a basic selection, I like to make use of largely gruyere with a little bit of parmesan. Sharp cheddar would additionally work. For greatest outcomes, purchase a block of cheese and shred it your self.
Could omit or substitute a splash of cayenne pepper as an alternative.
Permit quiche to chill after baking then cowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for as much as 3 days.
Wrap quiche in plastic wrap and freeze for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge. After thawing, reheat in a 350F oven for 15-20 minutes, till heated via.
Serving: 1serving | Energy: 311kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 8g | Fats: 26g | Saturated Fats: 14g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 2g | Monounsaturated Fats: 8g | Trans Fats: 0.02g | Ldl cholesterol: 123mg | Sodium: 361mg | Potassium: 115mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 738IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 120mg | Iron: 1mg
Dietary data relies on third-party calculations and ought to be thought of an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will fluctuate based mostly upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking technique, portion sizes, and extra.
Extra nice breakfast choices: