Pasta e fagioli is a hearty Italian soup made with pasta, beans, and veggies. Served with crusty bread, it is vegetarian consolation meals at its greatest.
Pasta e fagioli, typically shortened to pasta fagioli (or pasta fazool when you’re a Sopranos fan), is a basic Italian soup. Its identify actually interprets to “pasta and beans,” and it consists of tiny pasta, creamy beans, and tender greens in a aromatic tomato broth.
Right here within the US, many individuals know pasta e fagioli from the menu at Olive Backyard, however I’m right here to inform you that you just HAVE to strive making this dish at residence. It comes collectively in a single pot. The components are largely pantry staples. AND the mix of pasta, beans, and veggies makes it a satisfying standalone meal.
In the event you’re searching for easy, reasonably priced, and scrumptious dinners so as to add to your rotation, pasta e fagioli can’t be beat. I’m sharing my go-to recipe under. I hope you find it irresistible as a lot as I do!
Pasta e Fagioli Recipe Substances
Right here’s what that you must make this pasta e fagioli recipe:
- Pasta, in fact! Ditalini is my high decide. Can’t discover it? Little elbow macaroni noodles or one other small pasta form would work effectively too.
- Beans – In Italy, pasta e fagioli is historically made with recent cranberry beans. Nevertheless, recent shell beans are arduous to search out the place I dwell, so I name for canned cannellini beans as an alternative. They’re nonetheless scrumptious!
- Further-virgin olive oil – For richness.
- Onion, garlic, carrots, and fennel – These fragrant veggies create the soup’s flavorful base. I LOVE the fennel’s anise-like taste on this soup, however when you can’t discover it, or when you’re not a fennel fan, celery is a good various!
- Tomato paste – It thickens the broth and deepens the tomato taste.
- Contemporary rosemary – For cozy, piney taste.
- Diced tomatoes – They add candy, tangy taste to the broth.
- Vegetable broth – Use store-bought, or make your personal.
- A Parmesan rind – Yep, you’ll be able to simply chop the rind off a block of Parmesan cheese! In the event you’re vegetarian, remember to search for a model made with vegetarian enzymes (BelGioioso makes a terrific one). In the event you’re vegan, be happy to skip it.
- Kale or Swiss chard – It’s not completely conventional in pasta e fagioli, however I really like ending a pot of soup with plenty of leafy greens!
- Crimson pepper flakes – They add a kick of warmth.
- And salt and pepper – To make all of the flavors pop!
Discover the whole recipe with measurements under.
Easy methods to Make Pasta e Fagioli
This hearty soup recipe is so easy to make!
First, sauté the veggies. Warmth the olive oil in a big soup pot or Dutch oven over medium warmth, and add the onion, carrots, and fennel. You need the veggies to get very smooth. Cook dinner, stirring sometimes, for 10 to fifteen minutes.
Stir within the garlic, tomato paste, and rosemary, and prepare dinner for an additional minute.
Subsequent, simmer the soup. Add the tomatoes, beans, broth, and Parmesan rind to the pot. Simmer for 20 minutes to permit the flavors to meld.
Then, stir within the pasta. Cook dinner for an additional 10 minutes or so, till the pasta is al dente.
Lastly, add the kale and crimson pepper flakes. Cook dinner till the kale wilts. Season to style and serve!
Pasta e Fagioli Serving Strategies
Once you’re able to eat, ladle the pasta e fagioli soup into bowls, and high it with extra crimson pepper flakes, a sprinkle of parsley, and freshly grated Parmesan cheese, when you like. You can also’t go mistaken with a aspect of crusty bread for sopping up the broth!
Leftovers maintain effectively within the fridge for a day or two, however the pasta soaks up increasingly of the broth the longer it sits within the soup. If you wish to make this recipe a number of days forward, or when you plan on freezing it, chances are you’ll wish to pass over the pasta while you first make the soup. As a substitute, boil it individually and add it to the soup simply earlier than serving in order that the noodles nonetheless have an al dente chunk while you eat.
Extra Favourite Soup Recipes
In the event you love this recipe, strive considered one of these basic soups subsequent:
Pasta e Fagioli
Serves 4 to six
Pasta e fagioli, typically shortened to pasta fagioli, is a basic Italian soup made with pasta and beans. My recipe is a comforting, scrumptious vegetarian dinner! Serve it with crusty bread for sopping up the flavorful broth.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 small fennel bulb or 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus extra to style
- Freshly floor black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chopped recent rosemary
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups cooked cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Parmesan rind, optionally available
- 1 cup ditalini pasta, or different small pasta
- 2 massive kale or Swiss chard leaves, stemmed and torn (about 6 cups)
- Pinches of crimson pepper flakes
Warmth the olive oil in a big pot or Dutch oven over medium warmth. Add the onion, fennel, carrots, salt, and several other grinds of pepper and prepare dinner, stirring sometimes, for 10 to fifteen minutes, or till very smooth.
Add the garlic, tomato paste, and rosemary and prepare dinner, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and their juices, the beans, broth, and Parmesan rind, if utilizing. Simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the pasta and simmer for 10 extra minutes, or till al dente. Stir within the kale and crimson pepper flakes and prepare dinner till the kale is wilted. Season to style and serve.