One other 3-ingredient cookie that you will see irresistible! These palmiers cookies are also referred to as elephant ear cookies, however I like their heart-shape, so I name them coronary heart cookies. Buttery puff pastry, rolled up whereas being enrobed in sugar produces these flaky, caramelized little cookies. Do not miss the pumpkin spice variation for fall, too!
What are Palmiers?
These three-ingredient puff pastry cookies will knock your socks off. They take the most effective half about French pastries, the buttery, flaky crust (aka puff pastry), and coat it in sugar and bake till golden brown. We’re primarily making cookies from pastry crust, and it is precisely as scrumptious because it sounds.
The sugar on the underside of palmiers caramelizes within the oven and offers the cookies a caramel taste. The precise cookie is gentle, crisp and buttery . It is the right cookie, they usually could not be simpler to make!
What do Palmiers style like?
Palmiers style like a wealthy butter cookie that’s flaky as a substitute of dense, with notes of caramel from the sugar on the underside of the cookies.
Why you will love this Palmier Recipe
If in case you have a field of puff pastry, granulated sugar, and salt, you’ll be able to have this wonderful cookie recipe! It could not be simpler, however I will share step-by-step photographs and a video, so you already know precisely tips on how to fold them to make them puffy and heart-shaped. These cookies are so cute for Valentine’s Day, as a result of do not they appear to be little hearts? However they’re additionally known as elephant ear cookies, as a result of they resemble cute elephant faces.
No matter you name these cookies, it would be best to print and save this recipe, as a result of should you bake it as soon as, you will positively be making it once more.
- Puff Pastry. The best possible factor to make use of for palmiers is a pre-made roll of all-butter puff pastry crust. Verify the components; some puff pastry manufacturers use oil and different unusual components. Attempt to discover an all-butter one. Nevertheless, should you can solely discover the Pepperidge Farm model, it should positively nonetheless work right here. Whereas I do have a recipe for do-it-yourself puff pastry, I have not examined it on this recipe but, and I actually advocate the pre-made frozen one for ease. Normally, every field comes with two rolls of puff pastry. We’ll be utilizing one immediately. Take away it from the freezer and let it relaxation on the counter for half-hour earlier than utilizing. (Or, you could possibly defrost in a single day within the fridge). It needs to be pliable and considerably simple to unfold and roll out after half-hour. In case your room is simply too chilly, it would take longer to defrost. If the dough is cracking or splitting, stop–it is simply too chilly. Let it heat up after which proceed.
- Sugar. We’d like white granulated sugar for this recipe.
- Salt. Please do not skip the salt! It balances the flavors of the sugar and butter so properly.
- Sugar – I’ve examined this recipe with coarse demerara sugar, and it is beautiful. Use the identical quantity, and make sure you bake the cookies on a bit of parchment paper or silicone mat so they do not stick an excessive amount of.
- Spices – Within the fall, I add ½ teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice, and they’re so good!
Easy methods to make Palmiers
In a small bowl, whisk collectively the sugar and salt till evenly blended. On a floor for rolling, sprinkle rather less than half of the sugar combination. Unroll the puff pastry sheet, and place it on high of the sugar. Roll it out to a 13×13-inch sq..
Sprinkle one other handful of sugar on high. Use a rolling pin to press the sugar into the dough. Take the best and left fringe of the dough in half, inwards in the direction of the middle, like a ebook (in the direction of the middle).
Sprinkle extra sugar on high. Fold each side inward once more (in the direction of the middle).
Lastly, fold your entire dough in half like a ebook by folding and stacking the left aspect over the best aspect. This may make a log form. Sprinkle with the remaining sugar and gently press into the dough. Place the dough on the parchment lined baking sheet and place it within the fridge for half-hour.
Preheat the oven to 450-degrees F. Slice the cookies into ¾-inch slices and area them at the very least 3 inches a component on the baking sheet.
Bake the cookies for six minutes, flip them with a steel spatula shortly, after which bake them for one more 3-5 minutes, till they’re golden brown and caramelized on each side. Let the palmiers relaxation on the sheet for a couple of minutes, however then allow them to cool fully on a wire rack. They’ll crisp as they cool.
Easy methods to fold Palmiers
Beginning with the rectangle on the counter in entrance of you (with the lengthy edge closest to you and the brief edges on the edges), convey either side in to the middle, like a ebook. Repeat, folding the dough on high of itself. Repeat once more one closing time, to make a log. You’ll sprinkle sugar earlier than and in any case of those folds.
How lengthy to cook dinner Palmiers
Palmiers solely take about 10 minutes within the oven, however they have to be flipped half-way via their cook dinner time to create a golden brown crust on each side.
Easy methods to serve Palmiers – What goes properly with Palmiers?
I take these palmiers to virtually any potluck or occasion that wants dessert. They’re my favourite factor to serve on New 12 months’s Eve with a glass of champagne, as a result of the butteriness of the cookie goes so properly with buttery French champagne.
Easy methods to retailer Palmiers
Fortunately, you can also make these forward of time! They have to be saved in a very air-tight container. I do not advocate a plastic bag, as a result of it should contact the tops of the cookies. Place these cookies in a single layer in a meals storage container, and they’ll final for 2-3 days. Don’t refrigerate.
How lengthy do Palmiers keep recent?
If saved correctly (at room temperature in an air-tight container), palmiers keep recent for 2-3 days.
Easy methods to freeze baked palmiers
You may bake these palmiers forward of time and freeze them, however don’t defrost them earlier than cooking. The day you need to serve them, place the frozen cookies on a lined baking sheet, and instantly right into a scorching oven for about 5 minutes. Take away them and they’ll crisp as they cool.
Palmiers Recipe FAQs
Palmiers have a lot of names: elephant ears, butterfly cookies, pig ear cookies, palm cookies and coronary heart cookies.
Palmiers hail from France, the birthplace of puff pastry, in fact.
Let’s sound it out: pal-mee-aye.
In a phrase, sugar! And yeast! Croissants have the identical model of folded butter dough, however they include yeast. They’re folded, formed, and proofed earlier than baking with none further sugar added. Palmiers don’t include yeast, and are coated in sugar and rolled up with none proofing or resting interval. Palmiers are a lot sweeter than croissants, and they’re much smaller, too. Croissants are breakfast or lunch meals, whereas palmier cookies are thought of treats or desserts.
Cook dinner Time
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon high-quality sea salt
- Thaw the puff pastry in a single day within the fridge, or on the counter at room temperature for half-hour. It needs to be pliable and delicate earlier than utilizing, not cracking across the edges.
- In a small bowl, whisk collectively the sugar and salt till evenly blended.
- On a floor for rolling, sprinkle rather less than half of the sugar combination. Unroll the puff pastry sheet, and place it on high of the sugar. Roll it out to a 13×13-inch sq..
- Sprinkle one other handful of the sugar combination on high of the sq.. Use a rolling pin to press the sugar into the dough.
- Begin the folds: Take the best and left fringe of the dough in half, inwards in the direction of the middle, like a ebook (in the direction of the middle).
- Sprinkle extra sugar on high. Fold the skin edges inward once more, in the direction of the middle.
- Lastly, fold your entire dough in half like a ebook by folding and stacking the left aspect over the best aspect. This may make a log. Sprinkle with the remaining sugar and gently press into the dough. There might be some extra sugar on the board.
- Place the dough on the parchment lined baking sheet and place it within the fridge for half-hour.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 450-degrees F.
- After the half-hour, slice the cookies into ¾-inch slices and area them at the very least 3 inches a component on a baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for six minutes, flip them with a steel spatula shortly, after which bake them for one more 3-5 minutes, till they’re golden brown and caramelized on each side.
- Let the palmiers relaxation on the sheet for a couple of minutes, however then allow them to cool fully on a wire rack. They’ll crisp as they cool.
Puff Pastry: Attempt to discover a puff pastry model that accommodates solely butter. For those who can solely discover the Pepperidge Farm model with oil, it’s fine–it will work right here, too.
Sugar – I’ve examined this recipe with coarse demerara sugar, and it is beautiful. Use the identical quantity, and make sure you bake the cookies on a bit of parchment paper or silicone mat so they do not stick an excessive amount of.
Spices – Within the fall, I add ½ teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice, and they’re so good!
Retailer these cookies at room temperature in an air-tight container for as much as 2-3 days. Don’t retailer within the fridge. You may freeze already baked cookies. To serve frozen cookies, place them in a scorching oven straight from the freezer to crisp up.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 58Complete Fats: 1gSaturated Fats: 0gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 0mgSodium: 71mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 0gSugar: 12gProtein: 0g