Do-it-yourself Hen Gnocchi Soup is made for cold evenings! This simple soup recipe tastes as if it comes from a restaurant kitchen, however solely takes one pot and half-hour to make on the range. It’s filled with tender hen, veggies, and tender gnocchi dumplings within the silkiest cream broth.
In case you love comforting one-pot soup recipes like this simple gnocchi soup, strive my One Pot Lasagna Soup, too!
Creamy Gnocchi Soup (Higher Than Olive Backyard!)
Who else isn’t fairly prepared to surrender sweater climate? It’s been an extended winter, and whereas I can really feel spring peeking across the nook, I’m nonetheless clinging to my cashmere and comfy dinners till additional discover.
On a latest chilly weeknight, I made a pot of probably the most life-changing hen gnocchi soup. So, clearly, I’m sharing it with you!
This home made hen gnocchi soup tastes similar to the wealthy and creamy soup from Olive Backyard (IYKYK). It’s full of juicy chunks of hen and little pillows of tender gnocchi, soaked within the silkiest, creamiest hen broth ever. And the perfect half is, you can also make it by yourself stovetop in lower than half-hour!
Gnocchi is a standard Italian dumpling recipe, produced from potatoes, eggs, and flour. You’ll often discover gnocchi within the pasta aisle, or frozen or refrigerated with different recent pasta at most grocery shops.
Gnocchi come in several styles and sizes, however they’re mostly formed like little lumps of dough, typically with small ridges.
What You’ll Want
Beneath is every thing you’ll must make this home made hen gnocchi soup. Don’t neglect to scroll to the recipe card for the complete portions and recipe instructions.
- Onion and Carrots: Diced and sauteed in butter, for aromatics.
- Seasoning: I season this soup with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper, plus crushed pink pepper flakes for a little bit of kick.
- Garlic: As a result of every thing is healthier with recent garlic.
- Flour: Cooking off the flour with the butter and veggies creates a “roux” that helps to thicken the soup.
- Hen Inventory and Bouillon: I like to recommend utilizing low-sodium hen broth, or Do-it-yourself Hen Inventory. I additionally stir in bouillon paste to reinforce the flavour (Higher Than Bouillon is the one I at all times use). Cubes or vegetable bouillon can even work.
- Milk: I add a little bit of milk to the inventory because it makes the broth creamy.
- Hen: This soup is an excellent approach to make use of up a leftover rotisserie hen. I had one in my fridge that I cubed up, however any cooked hen will do.
- Gnocchi: I take advantage of frozen gnocchi on this soup because it’s much less prone to overcook. It’s fantastic to make use of recent or dried gnocchi as a substitute, simply keep in mind that it’ll prepare dinner extra shortly.
- Heavy Cream: In case you’d favor a lighter soup, use half-and-half.
- Spinach: You should utilize recent or frozen child spinach. In case you’re utilizing recent, keep in mind to take away the stems.
The best way to Make Hen Gnocchi Soup
In case you’ve ever had a disaster of being whereas deciding between Olive Backyard’s hen gnocchi soup and their equally well-known Zuppa Tuscana, similar. The excellent news is, we now have one-half of the equation sorted at house! This scrumptious and creamy hen gnocchi soup recipe comes collectively shortly in a single pot on the stovetop:
- Saute: To start out, you’ll saute the carrots and onions in a little bit of butter. As soon as softened, stir in your seasonings and garlic. After a few minute the garlic must be aromatic. Now, you’ll sprinkle in some flour. Hold stirring for an additional minute whereas it cooks off and creates a roux with the veggies.
Mix: Subsequent, pour in hen inventory and bouillon, together with some milk, and provides every thing a whisk to mix. Proceed to whisk whereas the broth heats, and when it’s barely at a boil, stir in your cubed hen. Afterward, flip down the warmth and let the soup simmer for a bit.
Add Gnocchi: After 10 minutes or so, dump within the frozen gnocchi and let it prepare dinner. It ought to take about 3 minutes (give or take) to turn out to be tender, however preserve an eye fixed in order that it doesn’t overcook.
End and Serve: Lastly, add chopped spinach to the pot, and stir within the heavy cream. Take the pot off the warmth and canopy it whereas the spinach wilts. Proper on the finish, season your soup with salt and pepper to style. Then, serve!
Suggestions for Success
This soup recipe may be very easy. Listed here are some extra ideas to remember:
- Don’t boil the soup. I say this for 2 causes. The primary is as a result of boiling could cause the dairy within the soup to separate and curdle. Secondly, boiling the hen items will make them powerful and chewy. Be certain that to show down the warmth as soon as the soup begins to steam.
- Serve the soup immediately. The gnocchi tends to turn out to be gummy the longer it sits within the scorching broth. For that reason, this soup is finest loved proper after it’s made. In any other case, contemplate solely including within the gnocchi simply earlier than you’re able to serve.
Add-Ins and Variations
Do-it-yourself soup is one factor I’ll by no means run out of the way to customise. This hen gnocchi soup is scrumptious as is, however you’ll be able to at all times adapt the substances and check out totally different add-ins to swimsuit. Listed here are some simple concepts:
- Completely different Protein: Make this soup with sliced or floor sausage as a substitute of hen. You may brown the raw sausage whilst you saute your carrots and onions.
- Extra Veggies: Add diced bell peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, celery, or cherry tomatoes. Instead of spinach, strive chopped kale.
- Herbs: Mess around with including extra recent or dried herbs like thyme, rosemary, parsley, and basil.
We love cozying up with bowls of hen soup on cool evenings. Typically we’ll go all out, Olive Backyard-style, and revel in this hen gnocchi soup with home made Tacky Breadsticks and a aspect of inexperienced salad.
Typically I’ll grate recent parmesan over the soup or sprinkle in some croutons to essentially kick the consolation issue up a notch. Gnocchi soup makes an amazing entree or aspect with roasted veggies or Air Fryer Asparagus. Or, serve this soup with heartier sides like Stuffed Garlic Bread or Tacky French Bread Pizza.
Storing and Reheating Leftover Gnocchi Soup
Whereas this hen and gnocchi soup is finest loved immediately, any leftover soup could be refrigerated hermetic for as much as 3 days. Notice that the gnocchi could turn out to be a bit mushy the longer it’s saved. Reheat your hen gnocchi soup both within the microwave or on the stovetop.
In case you’re making this recipe forward, I like to recommend making ready the soup as directed and leaving out the gnocchi. Retailer the hen soup after which add the gnocchi whenever you reheat it.
Can I Freeze Hen Gnocchi Soup?
Technically, this soup could be frozen, although I don’t suggest it. Dairy-based soups usually don’t maintain up properly when frozen, and the gnocchi will turn out to be soggy.
Fortunately, it’s fast to make and it disappears from the pot so quick, we hardly have leftovers!
Do-it-yourself Hen Gnocchi Soup is a wealthy and hearty one-pot soup recipe full of tender chunks of hen, spinach, and fluffy gnocchi within the creamiest broth.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon recent black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed pink pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups hen inventory
- 1 tablespoon hen bouillon paste (I take advantage of Higher Than Bouillon)
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups cooked hen, cubed (I take advantage of a 12-ounce rotisserie hen)
- 16 ounces frozen gnocchi
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups child spinach roughly chopped, and huge stems eliminated
- Soften the butter in a 5- quart Dutch oven over medium warmth. Add within the onion and carrots and prepare dinner till tender, 5-6 minutes. Season the greens with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and crushed pink pepper.
- Add within the garlic and prepare dinner for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle the flour over the greens and prepare dinner for a further minute, stirring consistently.
- Whisk in hen inventory, bouillon paste, and milk. Convey the combination up till nearly boiling (must be steaming), whisking often, and stir within the hen. Cut back warmth to a simmer and prepare dinner for 10 minutes, stirring sometimes.
- Add in gnocchi and prepare dinner for 3 minutes or till the gnocchi is tender.
- Stir within the heavy cream and chopped spinach. Take away the soup from the warmth and canopy for five minutes, till the spinach is wilted.
- Regulate seasoning with extra salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve instantly.
Retailer hermetic within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
Key phrases: gnocchi soup, recipes for hen gnocchi soup, creamy hen soup recipe