All of the comforts of French onion soup become a comfy one-pot dinner. This French Onion Rooster dinner is downright romantic and ideal for this winter weekend spent all cuddled up.
You realize yearly I trapse in right here with a model of Marry Me Rooster that’s rumored to be soo good as to encourage a marriage proposal. You additionally know that… effectively, I wouldn’t contemplate myself residing proof of such legend which is, not at all, a mirrored image of the hen.
Who would I be with out one other extraordinarily cozy hen dish on your Valentine’s weekend? My daydream for you is that you’ve got this for Sunday supper this weekend. A type of low key I Love You. The type you say on a regular basis with the little issues like tucking a serviette underneath your love’s plate or refilling their glass of wine. It’s candy, like waking up holding palms.
This dish is as cozy to make as it’s to get pleasure from. One large pot, a complete lot of hen and gravy. Additionally mashed potatoes and there’s no method mashed potatoes aren’t wholly romantic.
This recipe is impressed and tailored from PaleOMG.
Listed below are the elements you’ll must make this One-Pot French Onion Rooster dinner:
• 4 candy or yellow onions
• olive oil and butter, each
• boneless skinless hen thighs
• recent thyme
• balsamic vinegar
• all-purpose flour or potato starch
• hen inventory
• kosher salt and recent cracked black pepper
• gruyere cheese
• good bread, buttered
• russett potatoes, half and half, butter, and herbs for mashed potatoes
I used my favourite 3.5qt Le Creuset Braiser for this dish (I swear I take advantage of this pan greater than my dutch oven), and first seared the hen thighs to calmly golden. Any oven-safe dish with a lid will do! Searing the seasoned hen will caramelize the hen and add some browned bits to the pan that can deepen the flavour of the onions.
Do you might have a pair of these cheeky kitchen glasses? The type that hold onions from making your cry? Perhaps a pair of swim goggles? A snorkel masks? Seize whatcha bought as a result of thinly slicing 4 onions is just not for the faint of coronary heart. It’s value it, however it stings.
Soften butter over what’s left after the hen has been browned. Add the sliced onions and thyme sprig and place the lid over the pan. Simmer and brown the onion over medium-low warmth in ten minute intervals. Stir simply sometimes. Preserving the lid on the pan will hold steam within the pan and hold the onions from burning earlier than they cook dinner all the way down to candy.
Coaxing the onions from sharp to candy is the fantastic thing about this complete dish so don’t rush the onions. Let em viiiiibe.
The onions will decide up coloration and taste from the underside of the pan however could not brown aggressively. All of it is dependent upon the warmth underneath the pan. Mess around and cook dinner the onions to candy. Take away the thyme sprig. Add a hearty splash of balsamic vinegar, a spoonful of all-purpose flour, and a pair cups of hen inventory to the combination.
The liquid will deliver all of the browned taste off the underside of the pan. Gaze upon all of the layers of taste we’ve constructed earlier than tucking the browned items of hen into the oniony onionness.
Place the dish within the oven to bake the hen items to extremely tender, and thicken the caramelized onions.
To additional french onion this hen, crank the broiler, sprinkle the hen with grated gruyere cheese and broil till melted.
Whereas the hen cooks, we’ll make a correct aspect of LUXURY mashed potatoes. I prefer to boil largely russet potatoes to tremendous tender, drain the potatoes in a colander and soften butter with herbs and cream within the pot. Add the potatoes again to the pot and mash to largely clean. GAH. The very best half is how a lot it’s important to style the potatoes to get the seasoning proper. Massive spoonfuls, no disgrace.
Serve in bowls with beneficiant dollops of mashed potatoes. Garnish with parsley and a bit extra recent thyme when you have further. Rooster and it’s onion gravy, and should you’re so daring as to double carb: a piece of buttered bread.
I like you and I hope these you like love this hen.
And should you’re in want of extra one-pot contentment, please contemplate:
Probably the most cozy and satisfying winter dinner with candy onions, tender hen items, and buttery mashed potatoes.
For the Rooster
Herby Mashed Potatoes (make these whereas the onions are cooking down)
- Season hen items generously with salt and pepper on each side.
- Set a big dutch oven (or any heavy backside oven-proof lid and pan set you might have) over medium warmth. Add olive oil and tilt to coat. Add the hen thighs in batches, cooking till golden brown on each side, about 4 minutes per aspect. The hen received’t be fully cooked by and that’s wonderful! Place on a plate and put aside.
- Add butter to the identical dutch oven. Add onions together with a hefty pinch of salt. Scale back warmth to medium-low and start to toss the onions across the pan they usually cook dinner down. Add the thyme. Cowl the pan and permit onions to scale back for half-hour, eradicating the lid to stir each 10 minutes or so.
- We wish the onions to be browned and caramelized with out burning so cut back warmth if obligatory. Cowl and cook dinner for one more 20 minutes till deeply caramel.
- Take away the lid and take away the thyme. Stir within the balsamic.
- Place a rack within the higher third of the oven and preheat oven to 375 levels F.
- Sprinkle flour over the onion combination and high with hen broth. Improve warmth to medium and convey to a simmer simply to thicken the sauce. Nestle the hen thighs contained in the onion broth.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes till the hen is cooked by. Take away from the oven and set the oven to broil. Prime hen with cheese and broil for 3-4 minutes till melty and effervescent.
- Prime dish with flaky salt and extra recent cracked pepper. Serve with toasty buttered bread and mashed potatoes.
- To make the potatoes, add potato chunks to a medium pot and canopy with cool water so that they’re submerged by an inch. Season with just a few beneficiant pinches of salt. Deliver to a simmer and cook dinner till potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain right into a colander.
- In the identical medium saucepan, soften butter. Add recent herbs and stir till simply aromatic. Add half and half and stir till heat.
- Add the potatoes chunks to the dairy combination and mash to your liking. Add salt and pepper to style. They’re scrumptious at this level. Serve with the hen.
Key phrases: one-pot, dinner, valentine’s day, hen, onion