Spaghetti and Meatballs all made in ONE pan. The meatballs are juicy with a lightweight crust, and the spaghetti absorbs a lot flavour while it cooks within the tomato ragu. It is a successful dinner with minimal washing up!
If there’s one factor I can assure in life, it’s that my children won’t ever flip down a bowl of meatballs and spaghetti.
While I really like meatballs too, my normal recipe includes TWO pans and a baking tray. Who could be bothered with all that washing up for a fast dinner!
So I set about arising with a one pot recipe, and the outcomes are scrumptious!!
The meatballs are frivolously browned within the pan first, then in goes the veg, adopted by the liquid and pasta. You may add roughly water relying on how saucy you prefer it. You can additionally add in additional veg in case you like – corresponding to peppers or mushrooms (add them in with the onion).
📋 What do we’d like?
- Beef mince – I like to make use of a 12-20% fats mince because it offers the dish extra flavour, however you should utilize a low-fat mince in case you like.
- Parmesan – offers the meatballs an exquisite flavour
- Breadcrumbs – to make the meatballs extra tender
- Egg – to bind every part collectively
- Finely chopped onion – for just a little extra flavour and texture
- And naturally just a little salt and pepper
- The remainder of the components listed here are for the sauce.
📺 Watch the best way to make it
Full recipe with detailed steps within the recipe card on the finish of this put up.
👩🍳PRO TIP I like to make use of finely chopped tinned tomatoes for a smoother sauce. You can use passata, however finely chopped tinned tomatoes nonetheless gives just a little bit of texture and a richer flavour.
🍽️ What to serve it with
Cooking the pasta within the tomato sauce means it absorbs all of the flavour as its cooking so it’s additional tasty.
I managed to get this one on the desk in about half-hour, so it makes an awesome mid-week meal.
🍲 Extra incredible Meatball recipes
Keep up to date with new recipes!
Subscribe to the publication to listen to once I put up a brand new recipe. I’m additionally on YouTube (new movies each week) and Instagram (behind-the-scenes tales & stunning meals pictures).
One-Pan Spaghetti and Meatballs
Meatballs and spaghetti cooked collectively in a single pan – much less washing up yay!
Place the minced beef, chopped onion, egg, parmesan, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper into a big bowl.
500 g (1.1lb) minced beef, ½ a big onion, 1 egg, 3 tbsp grated parmesan, 3 tbsp panko breadcrumbs, ¼ tsp salt, ¼ tsp black pepper
Combine collectively utilizing your fingers, then kind the combination into 16-20 meatballs.
Warmth the oil and butter in a big frying pan (skillet) and add within the meatballs. Cook dinner for 5-6 minutes on a medium-to-high warmth, turning two or thrice, till the meatballs are browned throughout. They do not must be absolutely cooked at this level, as they will cook dinner additional within the sauce.
1 tbsp oil, 1 tbsp unsalted butter
Now we begin including the sauce components to the pan. Transfer the meatballs to 1 aspect of the pan (or simply make a little bit of an area). Add the onion, celery, garlic, salt and pepper.
½ a big onion, 2 celery sticks, 2 garlic cloves, ¼ tsp salt, ¼ tsp black pepper
Cook dinner for 3-4 minutes, stirring the greens just a few instances, till the onions begin to soften.
Add within the tin of tomatoes, tomato puree, thyme, brown sugar, crumbled inventory dice and the just-boiled water. Stir every part collectively and produce the sauce to the boil.
400 g (14 oz) tin of finely chopped tomatoes, 2 tbsp tomato puree, 1 tsp dried thyme, 1 tsp mild brown sugar, 1 beef inventory dice, 600 ml (2 ½ cups) just-boiled water
Make a little bit of area within the pan and add within the pasta (break in half if it’s too large to slot in your pan). Make sure the pasta is absolutely submerged within the sauce.
200 g (7oz) dried spaghetti
Flip the warmth right down to low, place a lid on and cook dinner for 10-12 minutes, stirring a few instances, till the pasta is cooked. You have to to separate the pasta with a set of tongs to cease it sticking collectively once you come to stir it. Add in one other splash of boiling water throughout cooking if required.
When the pasta is cooked, flip off the warmth and divide the spaghetti between 4 bowls, utilizing a set of tongs. Spoon the meatballs and sauce on prime.
End with just a little shaved parmesan and chopped parsley and serve.
shaved or grated parmesan, 1 tbsp chopped contemporary parsley
Can I make it forward?
Sure, you can also make forward, however be aware: the pasta will take up extra of the liquid because it cools.
When you did wish to make forward:
- Cook dinner the dish, then cool rapidly. Place in a coated container and refrigerate for as much as two days.
- Take out of the fridge about an hour earlier than reheating to take the nippiness off the meatballs.
- Reheat in a pan with a lid over a low-to-medium warmth for 10-Quarter-hour, stirring just a few instances throughout reheating, till piping sizzling all through. You’ll most likely want so as to add a splash of boiling water to loosen the sauce just a little.
Can I freeze it?
Sure, leftovers could be cooled, positioned in a coated container and frozen.
Defrost in a single day at room temperature, then reheat as per the directions above.
Need to change it up?
When you make this recipe quite a bit and wish to change it up once in a while, strive:
- Including a teaspoon of chilli flakes or a tablespoon or sriracha to the sauce for a spicy model.
- Add 4 tablespoons of double (heavy) cream to the sauce, as soon as the pasta is cooked, for a creamy tomato model.
- Prime the completed dish with halved cherry tomatoes, a drizzle of pesto and a few basil leaves for a contemporary Summer time model.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of Cajun spice on the meatballs when frying, then add in chopped chorizo with the onions and celery for a Tex-Mex twist.
Dietary Data is per serving, not together with the ending toppings of parmesan and parsley.
Energy: 671kcalCarbohydrates: 56gProtein: 33gFats: 35gSaturated Fats: 13gPolyunsaturated Fats: 2gMonounsaturated Fats: 15gTrans Fats: 2gLdl cholesterol: 120mgSodium: 928mgPotassium: 922mgFiber: 5gSugar: 9gVitamin A: 591IUVitamin C: 15mgCalcium: 150mgIron: 6mg
This put up was first revealed in February 2016. Up to date February 2023 with new pictures, video, just a few recipe tweaks and a few housekeeping.
A few of the hyperlinks on this put up could also be affiliate hyperlinks – which suggests in case you purchase the product I get a small fee (at no additional price to you). When you do purchase, then thanks! That’s what helps us to maintain Kitchen Sanctuary operating. The dietary info supplied is approximate and might differ relying on a number of elements. For extra info please see our Phrases & Situations.