We all know what you’re pondering: Cabbage soup isn’t horny. However is it? Cabbage and fennel simply met they usually’re now inseparable. This soup is only the start of their love affair! Made with Italian seasonings, contemporary fennel, and lentils, this soup is savory, nourishing, subtly spicy, and light-weight but satisfying!
Made in simply 1 pot, it’s the right simple meal for a comfy weeknight in! Seize your ladle — soup’s on!
This cozy, 1-pot soup begins with sautéing onion, fennel, and carrot till tender and candy.
Subsequent we add cabbage and kale, giving this soup a lift of greens for nourishment (hiya, folate, fiber, potassium, and nutritional vitamins C, Okay, and B6). Speak about full of the great things!
Then it’s on to the important thing taste gamers: Garlic, fennel seeds, smoked paprika, and purple pepper flakes mix for an Italian-inspired seasoning combine.
Potatoes and lentils be a part of the occasion for heartiness and fiber, and all of it simmers away in vegetable broth and tomatoes till tender.
We hope you LOVE this soup! It’s:
& SO scrumptious!
It makes a comfy meal topped with a sprinkle of vegan parmesan and served with our Finest Vegan Garlic Bread or Fluffy Gluten-Free Focaccia. Or for extra protein, pair with our Vegan Pepperoni, Straightforward Vegan Sausage (Soy- & Gluten-Free!), or Pesto “Parmesan” Turkey Meatballs.
Extra Nourishing Cabbage Recipes
If you happen to do this recipe, tell us! Go away a remark, charge it, and don’t overlook to tag a photograph @minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, pals!
Servings 6 (~1 ½ cup servings)
- 2 Tbsp olive or avocado oil (plus extra for serving // if oil-free, sub twice the quantity of water)
- 1 giant onion, peeled and finely chopped (1 giant onion yields ~ 3 cups or 225 g)
- 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed and finely chopped (or sub 2 stalks of celery // 1 medium fennel bulb yields ~ 2 cups chopped or 210 g)
- 2 giant carrots, peeled and finely chopped (2 giant carrots yield ~3/4 cup or 90 g)
- 1/2 tsp every sea salt and black pepper
- 6 cups inexperienced cabbage, sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cups chopped kale (curly or Lacinato), sliced into 1/4-inch slices (or use extra cabbage — we just like the added coloration and texture of the kale)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp fennel seeds, crushed frivolously in a mortar & pestle or spice grinder (or depart entire)
- 1 heaping tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2-1 tsp purple pepper flakes (to style)
- 8 cups vegetable broth (or store-bought)
- 1 medium-large yellow potato, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch chunks (1 potato yields ~3 cups or 300g)
- 1 (15 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup dry inexperienced lentils
Warmth the oil in a big pot over medium warmth. As soon as sizzling, add the onion, fennel (or celery), and carrot. Sauté gently for 8 minutes, stirring often, till the greens are tender. Stir within the salt and pepper — don’t be tempted to show the warmth in control this up or the veggies received’t get as candy.
Add within the cabbage and kale (if utilizing), and sauté for one more 5 minutes till wilted. Then stir within the garlic, fennel seeds, smoked paprika, and purple pepper flakes. Prepare dinner for 1 extra minute till the fennel seeds are aromatic.
Stir within the vegetable broth, diced potatoes, crushed tomatoes, and lentils. Deliver to a simmer, cowl (with the lid barely ajar), and simmer on medium-low for 30-40 minutes, or till the lentils are tender however not mushy.
Style and alter as wanted, including extra salt for general taste or purple pepper flakes for warmth.
We prefer to high bowls with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of vegan parmesan and serve with garlic bread or focaccia bread.
Leftover soup will preserve properly in a sealed container within the fridge for as much as 4-5 days or within the freezer for as much as 1 month.
*Vitamin data is a tough estimate calculated with out elective elements.
Serving: 1 serving Energy: 251 Carbohydrates: 43.6 g Protein: 9.5 g Fats: 5.8 g Saturated Fats: 0.8 g Polyunsaturated Fats: 0.8 g Monounsaturated Fats: 3.5 g Trans Fats: 0 g Ldl cholesterol: 0 mg Sodium: 1089 mg Potassium: 851 mg Fiber: 11.4 g Sugar: 12.9 g Vitamin A: 785 IU Vitamin C: 52 mg Calcium: 161 mg Iron: 4.2 mg