A candy and easy recipe for no-chill sugar cookies, these are buttery and smooth with crisp outlined edges and don’t require any chilling within the fridge.
Final-Minute Lower-Out Cookies
Sneaking in simply earlier than Christmas with a last-minute cookie recipe for all of my fellow procrastinators on the market! I truly hesitated fairly a bit to share this no-chill sugar cookie recipe, and nearly didn’t. Solely as a result of I have already got a fairly unimaginable, well-loved, highly-rated and simple sugar cookie recipe on the weblog.
The one downside? My unique recipe requires a number of hours of chilling. You probably have the time, I’ll at all times favor the unique. However, typically, nicely, we want sugar cookies with out chilling. We want them quick and don’t have time to attend for refrigeration, irrespective of how obnoxiously vital we know that step could also be.
Which is why I’m very happy to be sharing in the present day’s completely no-refrigerator required, no-chill sugar cookie recipe. For these of you who’re procrastinators (very similar to myself) and end up in determined want of cookies for Santa and barely any time remaining earlier than the sleigh pulls as much as the rooftop.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- NO CHILLING!
- Easy to organize with fundamental elements.
- Yields stunning, even cookies with sharp, outlined edges.
- A forgiving dough; I embrace tricks to keep away from widespread sugar cookie pitfalls, but additionally how you can resolve them in the event you disregarded the information and bumped into them anyway.
- Yields buttery, completely sweetened cookies which you could customise the flavour of together with your favourite extracts.
- Fast and simple, this recipe may be achieved in below an hour!
What You Want
The elements wanted listed here are basically the identical as those utilized in my traditional sugar cookies, with one notable exception. Let’s go over these earlier than we get began:
- Butter. Arguably crucial ingredient, your butter has the ability to make or break your no-chill sugar cookies. Your butter ought to be softened, however not solely to room temperature. It ought to nonetheless have a little bit of a chill to it, if it’s too heat or smooth it could make the dough sticky and troublesome to make use of. Test that your butter isn’t melting (the skin of it shouldn’t be oily). If you wish to be actually technical, use an prompt learn thermometer (⬅️ affiliate hyperlink for the one I exploit) to examine the temperature of your butter. At its middle, it ought to learn near 65F (18C).
- Extracts. Vanilla extract provides the cookies their traditional vanilla taste. A little bit of almond extract provides one thing additional particular, however may be skipped in the event you don’t love the flavour (or be at liberty to substitute with lemon extract).
- Flour. Use all-purpose flour. Whereas I like to recommend at all times measuring your flour correctly, with this recipe you even have a little bit of wiggle room, and in the event you run into a difficulty with sticky dough you’ll be able to at all times add a spoonful extra as wanted.
- Cornstarch. My secret weapon, I choose to make use of a mix of flour and cornstarch relatively than simply flour. An excessive amount of flour could make the cookies cakey and bland. Cornstarch works very similar to flour on this recipe, however you should use a lot much less of it, maintaining the cookies tender and flavorful.
- Baking powder. A pinch of baking powder retains the cookies from being too dense. It provides a slight little bit of elevate that retains their texture good.
SAM’S TIP; TOPPINGS: My simple sugar cookie icing and simple royal icing each work splendidly for icing these cookies (I used my royal icing within the pictures right here). Nonetheless you may also skip the icing fully and simply sprinkle the cut-out cookies with coloured sanding sugar earlier than baking them.
Keep in mind, that is simply an summary of the elements I used and why. For the complete recipe please scroll all the way down to the underside of the put up!
How one can Make No-Chill Sugar Cookies
- Cream the butter & sugar. Beat them collectively till gentle and fluffy, a few minute or so with an electrical mixer.
- Stir in egg and extracts. Scrape the bowl periodically to make sure all elements are well-combined.
- Put together the dough. Whisk collectively the dry elements individually, then, together with your mixer on low-speed, regularly add the flour till fully mixed. You don’t wish to over-work this dough (which might heat the butter and make the dough sticky) however take your time including the flour and ensure it’s fully mixed.
- Roll it out. No chilling wanted, take your dough straight to a clear flippantly floured floor and roll it out as thick or skinny as you’d like. Make sure that to periodically scrape beneath the dough with a spatula when you’re rolling it to make certain it’s not sticking to your counter!
- Lower & bake! Use cookie cutters to chop out shapes and place these great no-chill sugar cookies on a baking sheet. The cookies gained’t unfold, however give an inch or so of house between cookies to provide them some respiratory room. Bake till the cookies are simply starting to show a very gentle golden brown on the sides.
SAM’S TIP: Add your flour regularly. This dough is designed to be a bit extra dry and agency than different cookie doughs (it’s how we’re in a position to skip the chilling), so it takes a while for the moist elements to soak up all of that flour. I like to recommend including the flour combination in 4 or 5 components and guaranteeing it’s all been included earlier than including the subsequent bit. In case your dough appears dry and crumbly, you might need simply overwhelmed it with flour. Simply preserve mixing and it’ll come collectively.
Incessantly Requested Questions
In the event you would not have cornstarch you’ll be able to go away it out and as an alternative use 3-4 further Tablespoons of all-purpose flour.
Dough that’s too crumbly is usually attributable to unintentionally utilizing an excessive amount of flour. Please see my put up on how you can measure flour correctly.
That being mentioned, this can be a pretty forgiving dough and might deal with extra flour than known as for. In case your dough is just too dry and crumbly and cracking the flour might have been added too rapidly, quicker than the moist elements might correctly take up it. To stop this, add the dry elements slowly, in 5 components, and stir till the entire flour has been absorbed earlier than including extra. In the event you’re within the thick of it and have already added your whole flour, simply preserve mixing. It should all come collectively properly, but it surely is likely to be extra of an arm exercise this fashion.
Sticky dough is almost definitely the results of butter that was too heat or over-handling your dough. I designed this dough to be simply dry sufficient that it didn’t want to relax, however I used to be intentional about making it nonetheless smooth sufficient that you just’d have a pleasant, buttery, and flavorful cookie (one which didn’t style like flour!). In case your butter was melty/oily whenever you used it (you didn’t microwave it to melt it, did you!?) or in the event you blended the dough for much longer than referred to as for or dealt with it together with your palms an important deal, this could trigger it to be sticky.
This may be mounted; slowly stir extra flour into the dough till it’s manageable or, if the dough is already in your clear floor for rolling, sprinkle dough on the counter and over the dough and blend it in by hand till manageable.
You additionally might chill this dough for 15-20 minutes to treatment dough that’s gotten too heat. This works nice, however then after all these gained’t precisely be no-chill sugar cookies 😉
I might not advocate it because the dough is just too stiff and purposefully designed to be rolled out. As an alternative, I might advocate making an attempt my drop sugar cookies.
I’ve a number of extra recipes in retailer for you this 12 months however this might be my final dessert recipe of 2022. Merry Christmas, and I hope this recipe is useful (in the event you take pleasure in it let me know and I’ll attempt to movie a video for it for the subsequent vacation season)!
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video beneath! In the event you do this recipe, make sure you tag me on Instagram, and you may also discover me on YouTube and Fb
No-Chill Sugar Cookies
The right last-minute cookie, this no-chill sugar cookie recipe requires, nicely, no chilling! It is easy to make and yields perfectly-sweet, buttery sugar cookies with crisp outlined edges.
Servings: 30 2.5″ cookies, see notice
Forestall your display screen from going darkish
Preheat oven to 350F (175C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Put aside.
In a big mixing bowl, use an electrical mixer (or stand mixer) to beat collectively butter and sugar till creamy and well-combined (about 1 minute on medium pace).
1 cup unsalted butter, 1 cup granulated sugar
Add egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract and beat on medium-speed till fully mixed. Make sure you scrape the edges and backside of the bowl so elements are completely mixed.
1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 giant egg, ¼ teaspoon almond extract
In a separate mixing bowl, whisk collectively flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt.
2 ¾ cup all-purpose flour, 2 Tablespoons cornstarch, ¼ teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt
With mixer on low-speed, very regularly add flour combination to butter combination till fully mixed. It is a pretty dry dough, the easiest way to maintain it from being dry and crumbly is so as to add the flour slowly (in 4-5 components) and ensure it is all been included earlier than including the subsequent little bit of flour.
Kind the dough right into a disk and switch it to a clear, flippantly floured floor and sprinkle the floor of the dough flippantly with further flour.
Further flour for rolling cookies
Use a flippantly floured rolling pin to roll dough to be about ¼” (6.5mm) thick. As you roll, sometimes use a spatula to scrape beneath the dough to loosen it from the counter to make sure it is not sticking to the floor. In case your dough is sticky in any respect, merely sprinkle it with further flour.
Use cookie cutters to chop shapes out of the dough (preserve your cookie cuts shut and re-group and re-roll out any dough scraps!) and switch to ready baking sheet, spacing cookies no less than 1″ aside.
Switch to middle rack of 350F (175C) oven and bake for 8-10 minutes (that is the steered time for two.5-3″/7.5cm cookies; smaller cookies will want much less time and bigger cookies might have longer). When cookies are completed baking, edges might be starting to show very gentle golden brown.
Permit cookies to chill on baking sheet for 5-10 minutes earlier than utilizing a cookie spatula to fastidiously switch to cooling rack to chill fully.
Butter shouldn’t be so smooth that it’s oily/melty and it’s truly perfect if it nonetheless has a little bit of a chill to it. If you wish to be very exact, use an prompt learn thermometer to examine for a temperature of 65F (18C).
I exploit unsalted butter, however in the event you use salted butter then cut back the salt within the recipe to only a pinch (about ⅛ teaspoon).
It is a powdery white substance (related in look to baking powder) that’s usually labeled as “corn flour” within the UK. In the event you would not have cornstarch, it’s possible you’ll omit it and enhance the quantity of flour within the recipe by 3-4 Tablespoons.
What number of cookies you get out of this dough will fluctuate relying on the scale of your cookie cutters and exactly how thick you roll the dough. I used 2.5″ cookie cutters and rolled the dough to ¼″ thickness for the testing this recipe and re-rolled out my cookie scraps.
I like to recommend adorning the cookies with both my simple sugar cookie icing or my simple royal icing (for the cookies within the picture you might use both to attain the outcomes proven, however I used royal icing after which sprinkled on some sanding sugar whereas the icing was nonetheless moist for a number of the cookies). You may additionally merely sprinkle the cookies with coloured sanding sugar earlier than baking.
Retailer baked cookies in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as two weeks. Cookies might also be tightly wrapped and frozen for a number of months.
Serving: 1unfrosted cookie | Energy: 127kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 1g | Fats: 6g | Saturated Fats: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 0.3g | Monounsaturated Fats: 2g | Trans Fats: 0.2g | Ldl cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 45mg | Potassium: 17mg | Fiber: 0.3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 198IU | Calcium: 7mg | Iron: 1mg
Dietary info is predicated on third-party calculations and ought to be thought of an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will fluctuate primarily based upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking technique, portion sizes, and extra.