This Bostock toast is a pleasant marriage of toast and almond croissant. Toast turns pastry. We’re topping these toasts with orange marmalade and sliced almonds impressed by my favourite almond-filled french King Cake.
It’s Mardi Gras, associates! The massive BIG weekend and Fats Tuesday are simply days away and who would I be if I didn’t have a recent King Cake providing for you? Mardi Gras from Houston (the place I’ve been spending a majority of my time) is… effectively, it’s not Mardi Gras save for the King Cake bought at HEB (which – scrumptious). Fortunately, I’m headed again to New Orleans this weekend the place my drawer filled with sparkly pants, wigs, and face glitter await.
Now we’ve had years and years of King Truffles round right here, from fancy puff pastry galette des rois cookies to the very simple one-dish king cake. This rendition takes the cake er… toast. I’ve taken inspiration from conventional almond crammed galette des rois and smeared the filling atop thick slices of brioche as a substitute of tucking it away inside pastry. We’ll high the elegant toasts with powdered sugar, which has ‘beignet’ written throughout it. All of that is to say, King Cake is now, greater than ever, a breakfast meals. Not that we ever wanted permission to have cake for breakfast however now that cake is toast and it’s a delight.
This recipe is impressed by Jake Cohen and all of his stunning challah.
Listed below are the components wanted for this King Cake-inspired Bostock pastry:
• brioche bread, challah sliced, or a thick sliced buttery sandwich bread – any leftover bread is nice for this French pastry
• almond flour
• granulated sugar
• unsalted butter
• a big egg
• almond extract and vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
• orange zest and orange flower water (you probably have some available)
• sea salt
• sliced almonds
• powdered sugar
• orange marmalade
• gold flakes or sprinkles to be additional festive
First, slice brioche. We’ll begin by making a fast easy syrup to brush every slice of bread. As a result of we’re including moisture and topping the bread with a great deal of taste, it is a excellent recipe to make with a stale loaf of bread.
Merely dissolve granulated sugar into water in a small saucepan. BOOM. Syrup. BUT, this simple bread wash can be a straightforward place so as to add taste. I add a splash of rum and some dashes of orange flower water. Attractive. Brush syrup on either side of the bread and put aside on a baking sheet.
Subsequent we’ll make the topping for the toast. Whisk collectively almond flour, sugar, melted butter, and egg. Luxurious, proper? End with orange zest, almond extract, vanilla bean paste, and a sprinkle of sea salt to the bostock batter.
Now, let’s assemble. Conventional bostock recipes don’t name for jam or marmalade however since there are Mardi Gras impressed – MORE IS MORE. I selected orange marmalade due to all the beautiful citrus grown in Louisiana however really, no matter jam you might have within the fridge is ideal.
Unfold every slice of bread flippantly with jam after which unfold generously with the almond batter. I wish to high every soon-to-be toast with an additional smear of jam. Possibility however, why not stay?
You possibly can depart the marmalade off the toast all collectively – it’s scrumptious topped with recent berries in lieu of jam. Make the toast you want!
Make the Sprinkle every toast with sliced almonds and bake within the oven till the toasts are golden brown across the edges and scent divine. The baking time is the right second to make a pot of espresso and collect powdered sugar and sprinkles.
These toasts are the right mix of French toast and bakery almond croissant, all from our very personal ovens in only a few minutes. Is it an ideal weekend brunch meals? Completely sure.
Completely satisfied Mardi Gras, associates! Let me know the way you’re keen on this recipe with score and commenting under. xo
Mardi Gras-inspired French Bostock pastry topped with orange marmalade and toasty almonds.
For the Syrup:
For the Topping and Toast:
- Place a rack within the higher third of the oven and preheat oven to 350 levels F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and put aside.
- In a small bowl pan warmth water and sugar. I do know it’s such a tiny quantity however swirl it across the pan till the sugar dissolves. It ought to simply take a couple of minutes. Add the rum and orange flower water. You possibly can skip the rum if you happen to’d like – no biggie. Set the syrup apart.
- In a medium bowl, whisk collectively almond flour and sugar. Pour within the melted butter, almond extract, vanilla paste, orange zest, egg, and salt. Whisk the combination collectively right into a spreadable paste.
- Let’s assemble the toast. Use a brush to flippantly brush either side of bread with the candy syrup. Place on the ready baking sheet. Unfold every slice with orange marmalade (or any jam) to the perimeters. Spoon a beneficiant 2 tablespoons of almond combination onto the toast and unfold till simply nearing the sting of the bread. Add a swoop of orange marmalade to the highest of the almond combination. Sprinkle every toast with a number of tablespoons of sliced almonds as you see match.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes till golden across the edges. Take away from the oven and permit to chill for about 10 minutes earlier than dusting generously with powdered sugar (and gold sprinkles or flakes) and serving.
Key phrases: almond, frangipane, king cake, mardi gras, brioche, toast,