Embark on a candy journey with Luby’s Ambrosia Salad! A heavenly mix of succulent orange items, juicy pineapple tidbits, and tropical coconut flakes, all evenly kissed with powdered sugar. This pleasant fruit salad is a symphony of textures and flavors, capturing the essence of a tropical paradise. Excellent as a refreshing aspect, a lightweight dessert, or a brunch centerpiece.
This publish comprises affiliate hyperlinks. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What Makes Luby’s Ambrosia So Good?
In Greek and Roman mythology, ambrosia would be the meals of the gods, however Luby’s Ambrosia fruit salad is way more terrestrial. Nonetheless, there isn’t any denying that it tastes downright heavenly.
If you’re somebody who has by no means been fortunate sufficient to do this Southern traditional, chances are you’ll be questioning, simply what’s ambrosia fruit salad? The recipe for Ambrosia is a brief one with nothing greater than oranges, pineapples, flaked coconut, and powdered sugar, however the mixture is pure bliss.
Why You Ought to Strive This Recipe
There are such a lot of nice causes to attempt making Ambrosia salad at house. The principle purpose is that it’s scrumptious, particularly when served straight from the fridge on the most well liked summer season days.
Then there’s the truth that it couldn’t be simpler to make. If you happen to can peel and lower, you may make this salad. And at last, regardless of the power to fulfill even the most important candy tooth, it’s fairly wholesome, no less than so far as desserts go.
Ambrosia Fruit Salad Substances
For this Ambrosia Salad recipe, you’ll want:
- Navel oranges
- Pineapple Tidbits
- Flaked coconut
- Powdered sugar
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
Dole’s Pineapple Tidbits packed in pineapple juice are excellent for Ambrosia, however you might use any canned pineapple items or crushed pineapple. For this recipe, canned fruit is preferable over contemporary fruit.
You possibly can substitute the navel oranges with mandarin oranges.
Each sweetened and unsweetened flaked coconut will work, however Snowflake coconut is just too superb to make use of.
Tips on how to Make Ambrosia
To organize this citrus fruit salad with coconut:
- Peel the oranges and take away all of the piths and the stringy bits. To enhance the feel of the orange, it’s best to take away the membrane (that easy pores and skin that adheres on to the juicy flesh) as effectively. A straightforward approach to do that is by supreming the orange earlier than slicing it into segments.
- Chop the lower orange into one-inch items and place in a big bowl.
- Drain the Pineapple Tidbits very effectively and lower any bigger items to about the identical measurement because the ready orange items. Put the pineapple into the bowl with the oranges.
- Add the flaked coconuts and powdered sugar to the citrus fruit.
- Stir effectively till all of the sugar dissolves and you’ve got a uniform combination.
- Cowl the highest of the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Chill the Ambrosia fruit salad for no less than an hour to permit the flavors to meld.
- Use a slotted spoon to switch the Ambrosia salad to the serving bowl.
Everybody makes Ambrosia a bit in another way, and that’s half the enjoyable of attempting your neighbors’ variations. However there are a number of commonplace toppings that you could be wish to embody in yours. Listed below are only a few strategies, however be happy so as to add your favorites to the remark part beneath:
- Nuts. Walnuts or pecans add each a nutty style and a crunch.
- Bananas. Sliced bananas are one other tropical addition that may add extra selection to Ambrosia.
- Grapes. They’ll add one other layer of sweetness and juiciness.
- Maraschino cherries. Not solely do they create further sweetness, however the vibrant pink cherries have a festive feeling.
- Strawberries or Blueberries. For a burst of berry taste.
- Miniature marshmallows. Marshmallows present fluffy sweetness that can encourage even the pickiest child to no less than attempt the fruit salad.
- Sauce. Some folks like so as to add a little bit of creaminess with a bitter cream or cream cheese-based sauce. This Cool Whip Fruit Dip can be a implausible possibility.
What to Serve Ambrosia With
Ambrosia could be served as a aspect dish or dessert salad. It pairs splendidly with rooster, roast beef, and steak. If serving it for dessert, you possibly can add a dollop of whipped cream on prime or fold it in so as to add some fluffiness.
A Few Events That Are Excellent for Ambrosia
A giant bowl of Ambrosia fruit salad is welcome any time and anyplace, however there are a number of events when the dish is commonest:
- Picnics and cookouts. Contemporary and fruity, this recipe is great for serving to to beat the warmth. You’ll discover Ambrosia salad at many out of doors gatherings.
- Potlucks and church meals. Straightforward to make and cheap whereas nonetheless permitting the cook dinner to indicate off her creativity, a number of bowls of this fruit salad have a tendency to indicate when a group gathers to eat collectively.
- Holidays. Ambrosia fruit salad seems extra typically than a favourite uncle at Easter, Christmas, and Thanksgiving meals.
Tips on how to Retailer Ambrosia Salad
For security causes, you shouldn’t save any Ambrosia you already served. However you may make the fruit salad upfront and hold it within the fridge. A superb approach to make sure the fruit doesn’t get too mushy is to place it in an hermetic container with a built-in colander.
To increase the time the fruit salad will keep contemporary, keep away from including the toppings or sauce till you’re able to serve.
How Lengthy Does This Fruit Salad Final?
When saved correctly, the Ambrosia fruit salad substances will keep good for as much as three days, however it’s in all probability finest to eat the salad inside 24 hours after making it.
Love Luby’s? Strive these copycat recipes!
Widespread Fruity Salad Recipes
Recreate this fruit salad identical to Luby’s does.
- 5 giant navel oranges, peeled, sectioned, and lower into 1-inch items
- 6 ounces pineapple tidbits
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
Energy: 151kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 1g | Fats: 7g | Saturated Fats: 6g | Ldl cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 4mg | Potassium: 292mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 270IU | Vitamin C: 63.4mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 0.5mg