It’s not just for island counter tops – design with Butcher Block on your total kitchen.
Butcher block counter tops have turn out to be in style parts of recent kitchens. They’re stunning, pure, and slot in with two of as we speak’s hottest aesthetics: farmhouse and minimalist.
You possibly can’t have a country farmhouse kitchen with out involving wooden grain. For a farmhouse kitchen, you possibly can go nuts and make every part butcher block: the perimeter counter, the island high, the ground, the ceiling (Okay, perhaps not these final two). In a contemporary, minimalist kitchen, butcher block turns into a means so as to add heat to a sterile, monochromatic room. We like designing it for use boldly: in accents, like an island high or bar/sideboard – however largely all counter tops.
You may get the identical impact with a laminate butcher block from IKEA, and in some ways, their product is best than strong wooden.
Is laminate actually higher?
“Apart from the model issue, the plus facet to butcher block I hear about most frequently is how you should utilize it as a chopping board. It feels like a pleasant characteristic, however natural materials will get caught within the wooden and finally stink and trigger staining. Which means it’s a must to sand it and deal with the wooden. Shopping for a chopping board is a lot simpler. Is that ‘perk’definitely worth the hassle of sustaining a butcher block countertop? In my view, the reply is not any.” –Javier, IKD designer
Listed below are 5 explanation why we design with IKEA’s laminate butcher block:
- IKEA’s laminate butcher block counter tops have a 25-year restricted guarantee. A fast Google search will inform you that the typical life expectancy of a solid-wood butcher block countertop is 20 years. IKEA guarantees 5 additional years from their laminate butcher block counter tops.
- They’re straightforward to take care of. You take care of IKEA’s butcher block laminate counter tops the identical means you do most laminate counter tops: clear with a material and delicate detergent. Whereas the counter tops have actual wooden veneer (so you possibly can seal them or deal with them month-to-month if you wish to), they’re pretreated with laborious wax oil and are a lot much less susceptible to moisture issues than pure wooden, due to their layer building.
- If you happen to do nick, scratch, or scorch your laminate butcher block countertop, you possibly can nonetheless sand and deal with the floor if obligatory.
- Set up it your self. Our designs embody an in depth buying record and template that tells you precisely the place and tips on how to lower your laminate butcher block countertop. IKEA laminate counter tops include edging strips so you possibly can nonetheless give your countertop a completed take care of it’s been lower to measurement. Even in the event you aren’t snug making the cuts and putting in your self, you’ll don’t have any hassle discovering a contractor that’s keen to tackle the undertaking while not having to spend additional on a specialist.
- Butcher block island tops are stunning. The kitchen island typically turns into the casual gathering place for household and associates, and the butcher block model provides it a welcoming, homey really feel.
We offer readability on your IKEA Kitchen design journey
Are there many choices when contemplating a laminate butcher block countertop?
IKEA’s pre-cut laminate butcher block counter tops are available in quite a lot of shades and patterns.
“My private favorites are the KARLBY, which is available in a slender stave sample in walnut, birch, or oak veneer, and the BARKABODA, which is available in a beautiful chevron-patterned walnut veneer.” – Javier, IKD designer
Relating to sizing, most of IKEA’s butcher block laminate counter tops are available in 74” L x 42” W, which is right for a kitchen island. Customary lengths measure 74” or 98”, they usually include edge banding so you possibly can lower the counter tops to measurement and keep that completed look.
Are laminate butcher block counter tops inexpensive?
When searching for laminate butcher block counter tops, your choices are KARLBY, SALJAN, VRENA, MOLLEKULA, PINNARP, SKOGSA, and BARKABODA. Costs vary from $79 to $399, relying on the product and its measurement. A strong wooden butcher block countertop for an island would value a minimal of $630.
Laminate counter tops are DIY pleasant, too, which suggests you possibly can lower, edge, and set up with relative ease. Saving cash on set up is at all times a plus.
There are a couple of cons to any laminate countertop.
The primary cons to a laminate butcher block countertop are:
- Becoming a member of the laminate countertop to hitch in a nook.
Most householders butt two items of butcher block towards one another, perpendicularly, to create a nook. The draw back to that is the seam. It could be an eyesore to some and a house for tiny crumbs. Sadly, there’s no actual approach to get round this since laminate is notoriously tough to chop and take part a extra seamless method.
- Utilizing an undermount sink.
Utilizing a farmhouse sink or different undermount sink requires a little bit of technical ability. Since that space will, after all, be very moisture heavy, it’s finest to make sure that any edges touching the sink are manufacturing facility sealed as a substitute of utilizing the sting banding supplied by IKEA. Moist particle board swells and comes aside, so even when it’s a must to purchase an extra piece of butcher block laminate to make sure the perimeters keep waterproof, it’s properly definitely worth the funding.
Skip the overpriced, high-maintenance butcher block, and select an eye catching laminate butcher block countertop from IKEA. They’re a sensible selection when designing a pretty kitchen, whether or not you’re on a finances or simply buying good!
Get a Skilled IKEA Kitchen Design – All On-line
Work with our licensed kitchen designers to get a personalised kitchen designed round your wants and imaginative and prescient. If you happen to’re occupied with studying extra about our service, be certain that to take a look at our IKEA Kitchen Design Providers.