One of the vital widespread, on a regular basis greens you may come throughout in any Filipino grocery’s vegetable part is kangkong. Also called water spinach, this leafy inexperienced with tender shoots is a godsend to many kitchens throughout the nation. It’s because there are such a lot of methods to get pleasure from kangkong! Whether or not in stir fries or…
This submit might include affiliate hyperlinks. Please learn our disclosure coverage.
One of the vital widespread, on a regular basis greens you may come throughout in any Filipino grocery’s vegetable part is kangkong. Also called water spinach, this leafy inexperienced with tender shoots is a godsend to many kitchens throughout the nation. It’s because there are such a lot of methods to get pleasure from kangkong! Whether or not in stir fries or salads or sides to beloved meaty dishes, kangkong is adaptable and scrumptious. To not point out it’s bought a bunch of well being advantages and vitamins that’ll preserve your physique rising and robust. In the present day, we’ll be introducing you to yet one more fast however satisfying dish you should use this inexperienced in. We’re speaking about none apart from the kangkong and floor pork with oyster sauce stir fry!
Kangkong and Floor Pork with Oyster Sauce Stir fry vs. Adobong Kangkong
Proper off the bat, chances are you’ll be questioning how this dish differs from adobong kangkong. At first look the elements could appear uncannily related: water spinach in a savory, umami sauce mixture. However the similarities between adobong kangkong and kangkong and floor pork with oyster sauce stir fry finish there. Though they could have related taste palates, what makes up the 2 dishes is definitely fairly completely different.
For starters, we should discuss in regards to the marinade behind adobong kangkong. To adobo one thing in Filipino delicacies means to marinate it in a mixture of soy sauce, vinegar, and garlic. Often, bay leaves may even be included so as to add an additional depth of taste. The results of making adobong something is a dish that may be a mixture of candy, salty, and barely tangy. That is in distinction to our kangkong and floor pork with oyster sauce. On this dish, the principle supply of our marinade is oyster sauce alone. Thick and wealthy, this sauce is, like in adobo, a mixture of salty, savory, and barely candy. There’s a touch of fishiness that you simply get from the oysters themselves, nevertheless it companions completely together with your water spinach.
One other distinction between adobong kangkong and the kangkong and floor pork with oyster sauce is the presence of floor pork itself. Often after we say adobong kangkong, we regularly image the vegetable by itself, or on the very least topped with some fried garlic. However our recipe right this moment is way heartier! The presence of floor pork makes your kangkong and floor pork with oyster sauce extra filling and satisfying. You possibly can have it as a facet dish and even eat it by itself! There’s a model of adobong kangkong that makes use of crispy fried pork, too — that is an Ilonggo rendition of the dish, generally known as apan-apan.
Learn how to make this Kangkong and Floor Pork with Oyster Sauce Stir Fry
- As an elective begin: Fry your garlic. Step one on this recipe is elective, however should you like an additional crunch to your dishes make sure you observe it! We start by slowly frying your garlic items in oil till you get a phenomenal golden brown colour. Your warmth ought to by no means go previous medium, in any other case your garlic might find yourself burnt. When it reaches a shade you’re pleased with, separate the garlic from the oil and set it apart. However don’t throw your oil out but; we’ll be utilizing it for the stir fry! Be aware that you simply don’t have to make use of all the garlic you’ve fried for this dish alone, and you may preserve the remainder for another recipes chances are you’ll whip up.
- Sauté your onions and floor pork. In 3 tablespoons of the identical oil, sauté your onions till they soften. As soon as they do, you may add your floor pork. For this recipe, we’re utilizing 1 / 4 of a pound. Sauté for about 3 to five minutes, or till you get a lightweight brown colour in your pork.
- Add oyster sauce and kangkong. Pour in 3 tablespoons of oyster sauce and 1 / 4 cup of water. Stir these collectively and let it prepare dinner till you’ve let the water evaporate utterly. The water helps to minimize the thickness of your oyster sauce, making it much less gooey in texture. After this, add your kangkong and a portion of the garlic you’d fried prior. Because it’s a stir fry dish, you want solely prepare dinner it for a short while; one minute must be sufficient. Right here’s one other tip: In case you like your kangkong and floor pork with oyster sauce stir fry a little bit saucier, you may add a bit extra water! Half a cup further ought to do.
- Ending touches. With all of your elements within the pan, the end line is unquestionably in sight! After seasoning with salt and floor black pepper, you may flip the warmth off the range. Switch your kangkong to a serving plate and high it with extra browned garlic — and similar to that, you’re accomplished!
When you serve it with heat rice, your dish is able to be shared and loved! Dig in!
Different Kangkong Recipes
In case you’re on the prowl for different methods of utilizing kangkong in your kitchen, listed here are some choices that may tickle your fancy!
- For one, you may choose to maintain it easy and serve your kangkong with bagoong, or shrimp paste. Though it might be an acquired style for some, the umami-ness of the bagoong breathes life and taste into your water spinach. That is an appetizer at many Asian eating places and is beloved for its simplicity however sturdy flavors. With garlic, soy sauce, shrimp paste and kangkong, you have already got a tasty starter in your palms!
- In case you’re within the temper for one thing heartier, I like to recommend this monggo with kangkong at hibi. For these questioning, hibi refers to small dried shrimps that work nicely with mung beans. This model of ginisang monggo is extra cost-efficient and cheap than your ordinary recipe, nevertheless it tastes simply as scrumptious! Kangkong supplies an excellent assist in each texture and taste, balancing out the starchiness of your mung beans and the crispy shrimp. Seasoning it with patis and pepper on the finish undoubtedly provides extra taste, too.
- Lastly, for individuals who need a tasty however wholesome snack, I like to recommend making crispy kangkong. Deep frying your water spinach leaves after dredging them by eggs and flour offers them an addictive crunch, very similar to potato chips! You possibly can serve them with garlic mayonnaise, candy chili sauce, or no matter dip you want. No matter you do serve it with, it’s certain to be a simple, yummy celebration hit!
Further and Different Elements
Did you get pleasure from this kangkong and floor pork with oyster sauce stir fry? Or did you attempt to make it however don’t have a number of the elements readily available? Don’t fear! You possibly can nonetheless get pleasure from this scrumptious dish utilizing different or further elements; it’ll nonetheless style as scrumptious!
- One of many extra adaptable elements on this recipe is the floor pork. You possibly can substitute this part with any protein you want, whether or not it’s rooster, fried pork, and even tofu! In some cases, folks additionally get pleasure from stir fried kangkong with squid balls! Modify this recipe nonetheless you want, and to your personal desire — together with with regards to which essential meat you’ll be utilizing.
- As for the kangkong leaves themselves, different greens like spinach or kamote leaves make an excellent substitute. You continue to get that leafy texture with the tender shoots from each choices, making them straightforward replacements. To not point out, similar to kangkong, they’re pretty reasonably priced too!
Brown the garlic by slowly frying it in oil till it turns golden brown. Do that by heating the oil in a pan. After round 20 seconds, add the crushed garlic. Stir and fry utilizing a low to medium warmth setting till it browns. Separate the garlic with the oil. Put aside. Be aware: That is an elective step. The browned garlic can be utilized as a topping or condiment for this dish and for different dishes too.
Utilizing 3 tablespoons of the oil used to fry the garlic, Saute the onion till it softens.
Add the bottom pork. Sauté for 3 to five minutes or till the pork turns mild brown.
Add oyster sauce and water. Stir and prepare dinner till the water evaporates utterly.
Put the water spinach stalks into the pan. Stir fry for two minutes.
Add the water spinach leaves and a portion of the browned garlic. Prepare dinner for 1 minute. Be aware: chances are you’ll add as much as ½ cup of water should you like this with a little bit of sauce.
Season with salt and floor black pepper. Organize on a serving plate and high with extra browned garlic.
Serve with rice. Share and revel in!
- Water spinach is called “Kangkong” within the Philippines.
- Floor rooster and floor beef can be utilized as different elements to floor pork.
Energy: 1466kcal (73%) Carbohydrates: 36g (12%) Protein: 32g (64%) Fats: 137g (211%) Saturated Fats: 17g (85%) Polyunsaturated Fats: 34g Monounsaturated Fats: 82g Trans Fats: 0.4g Ldl cholesterol: 82mg (27%) Sodium: 1934mg (81%) Potassium: 1689mg (48%) Fiber: 10g (40%) Sugar: 5g (6%) Vitamin A: 21445IU (429%) Vitamin C: 205mg (248%) Calcium: 373mg (37%) Iron: 7mg (39%)