*This put up could include affiliate hyperlinks. Please see my disclosure for extra particulars!*
A straightforward and scrumptious jammy coconut traybake cake with a coconut sponge cake, your favorite jam and much more coconut on high!
So everyone knows this basic bake proper?! It’s one of the vital iconic throwback type truffles that exists and I LOVE IT! Actually, typically the only of bakes are the most effective and that may in all probability by no means change.
Scrumptious coconut sponge, raspberry jam (however clearly use your favorite!), and much more coconut on high served with a glue of custard… what extra may you need?
So on the subject of sponge truffles you normally have 4 primary elements… butter, sugar, flour and eggs. Clearly, should you flavour them this modifications similar to cocoa powder for a chocolate cake, or on this case, coconut.
- Butter – In the case of a sponge cake, you should utilize precise unsalted butter (at room temp!), a baking unfold, or perhaps a margarine that has buttermilk in for good outcomes. Folks debate which butter it is best to use, however I say belief your intestine on the subject of the precise sponge.
- Sugar – The sugar for a sponge is often caster sugar. It’s a finely grained sugar that’s white – smaller than granulated sugar, however not as positive as icing sugar. Relying on the place you might be on the earth, the identify of this sugar could range. For this cake I used caster sugar as I needed a lightweight flavour.
- Flour – For a sponge it is best to at all times use self elevating flour until the recipe says in any other case. Self elevating flour has a elevating agent in it to assist create the gentle and light-weight texture
- Eggs – Eggs can range in measurement, and I typically use medium eggs. It’s at all times greatest to weigh the eggs IN their shells in a bowl to get to the closest weight of the remainder of elements. For instance, this recipe makes use of 325g of flour, so I would like my eggs to weigh as near 325g as nicely. Slightly bit extra of much less doesn’t normally matter, or you may match the load to the eggs for greatest outcomes.
In the case of the tin, it’s a giant one… it’s a traybake cake tin which in my thoughts is HUGE. Nonetheless, that is a part of the purpose. Truffles like this one, my college cake, my chocolate college cake and so forth are only one layer truffles that you simply take a wedge of and revel in…
I take advantage of a 9×13″ tin for my traybake truffles because it creates quantity of slices, the elements themselves don’t are likely to price an excessive amount of as they’re easier to brighten and they’re additionally a lot faster to make and embellish.
In the event you needed to make a smaller model of the cake nevertheless, you should utilize 2/3 of the elements and use a 9×9″ sq. tin and bake for much less time.
So, one of many primary elements for this bake is OBVIOUSLY coconut. The simplest coconut you should utilize in a bake like that is desiccated coconut because it’s positive, creates a wonderful flavour, and a pleasant texture for a coconut based mostly bake.
To make it match the theme sufficient, simply as in my jammy coconut loaf cake, I used 125g of desiccated coconut within the sponge. When it comes to most elements this doesn’t sound like a lot, however as desiccated coconut is so mild in texture, it’s really quite a bit.
You will get away with utilizing much less within the cake should you don’t need the flavour to be as sturdy – I’d say the smallest quantity for a nonetheless good flavour can be about 75g of coconut – you don’t have to vary the rest within the recipe.
The coconut is identical I take advantage of for adornment – I couldn’t be bothered to toast it, however you may if you need.
To me the basic flavour of jam for this may be raspberry jam – I discover the that flavour of the raspberry jam works splendidly paired with the flavour of coconut n the ornament and sponge itself.
There isn’t a lot to it aside from as soon as the cake has cooled, you need to slather on the jam and unfold it as evenly as potential. You should use kind of jam, but when something extra can be higher should you prefer it tremendous jammy!
In the event you simply needed to make this a coconut cake you may depart off the jam and use the icing from the college cake to have one thing to stay desiccated coconut to as an alternative of the jam.
Suggestions and Methods
- For this recipe I used this traybake tin as I discover it’s the right measurement! Any 9×13″ traybake tin will work wonders.
- This recipe lasts for 3-4+ days at room temp as soon as baked, however can freeze for 3+ months
- Use any flavour jam you need – I used raspberry
- I serve mine with a glug of custard and it’s heavenly.
- 325 g unsalted butter
- 325 g caster sugar
- 325 g self elevating flour
- 6 medium eggs
- 125 g desiccated coconut
- 300-400 g jam
- 25 g desiccated coconut
For the Cake
Preheat your oven to 180ºc/160ºc fan and line a 9×13″ traybake tin with parchment paper.
Beat collectively the butter and sugar till mild and fluffy.
Add within the eggs, self elevating flour, and desiccated coconut and beat once more till mixed nicely.
Pour into the tin and bake within the oven for 45-50 minutes, or till baked by means of.
As soon as baked, let the cake cool absolutely within the tin.
- I like to recommend utilizing a 9×13″ traybake tin for this recipe.
- This cake will final for 3-4 days as soon as made.
- For a 9″ sq. tin – I’d suggest a 4 egg/200g sugar/butter/flour and 75g desiccated coconut combination. Baked for 35 minutes!
Discover my different recipes on my Recipes Web page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All photographs & content material are copyright protected. Don’t use my photographs with out prior permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your personal phrases and credit score me, or hyperlink again to this put up for the recipe.