This mouthwatering Jambalaya recipe is ideal for spicing up your dinner routine. This Cajun-inspired dish is filled with taste and can impress even the pickiest eaters. Our recipe contains a mixture of savory meats, spicy greens, and aromatic spices cooked to perfection in a hearty tomato sauce. You’ll be able to even add shrimp to it should you’d like!
Although the ingredient record is lengthy, it’s extremely simple to make, so you may take pleasure in a restaurant-quality meal within the consolation of your personal residence. So why accept bland dinners when you may impress your loved ones and pals with some tasty Creole Jambalaya? Get able to take your style buds on a journey to the colourful streets of New Orleans with only one chunk!
You should definitely serve it with a slice or two of my Corn Spoon Bread that you just see within the footage.
Historical past of Jambalaya
Jambalaya originated within the state of Louisiana, particularly within the metropolis of New Orleans. It’s a mix of Spanish, French, and African delicacies, making it a real illustration of the melting pot that’s Louisiana. Jambalaya is a one-pot dish historically made with rice, meat, and greens, created to make use of leftover substances, making it a sensible and economical meal for households.
Right this moment, jambalaya is a staple in Louisiana delicacies and is loved worldwide. It’s a dish that has developed over time, with every prepare dinner including their very own distinctive twist to the recipe.
I can’t say sufficient good issues about this recipe. It’s so good, and this one-pot meal makes lots to share with pals or serve for lunch the subsequent day. Boy, simply speaking about it makes me need to get proper again within the kitchen and get the recipe going once more!
Substances for Jambalaya
To make jambalaya, you have to a wide range of substances. The primary substances are rice, meat, and greens. Right here’s what you should make this hearty dish:
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless rooster breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound Andouille pork sausage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 inexperienced bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 28-ounce can of stewed tomatoes
- 14.5-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 4 cups rooster broth (or rooster inventory)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons recent flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- ¾ teaspoon Cajun spice
- 4 cups raw medium-grain white rice
- 3 tablespoons butter, lower into items
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined (non-compulsory)
- 1 teaspoon Previous Bay seasoning
Now that you’ve all of your substances, it’s time to begin cooking! Right here’s make our simple jambalaya recipe:
- First, season your rooster with salt and pepper. In a big Dutch oven like this one, or giant pot, drizzle oil and prepare dinner the rooster and sausage over medium-high warmth till browned on all sides, about 5-7 minutes. Take away the meat from the pot and set it apart.
- I cooked my rooster first, then eliminated it from the pot and cooked the sausage by itself. You are able to do the identical or prepare dinner them collectively.
- Place flour within the backside of the pot, stirring continuously over medium warmth till browned. Add onion and pepper and sauté till gentle. Add garlic and tomatoes and prepare dinner for at the least 5 minutes.
- Subsequent, add the rooster broth, spices, and any remaining salt and pepper to the pot and produce it to a boil. Add the raw rice, rooster, and sausage and return it to a boil.
- Dot the highest with butter, cowl the pot, and place within the oven. Bake for half-hour or till many of the liquid is absorbed. Your prepare dinner time could differ primarily based in your substances.
- Take away that aromatic jambalaya from the oven and sprinkle with Previous Bay seasoning. In case you’re going so as to add shrimp, do it now, then return the pot to the oven for a further 5 minutes or till the shrimp are cooked via.
Ideas for Making Excellent Jambalaya
Making jambalaya may be intimidating, however with a couple of ideas, you can also make a scrumptious meal each time. Listed here are some options for making the proper jambalaya:
- Use a heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven to forestall burning.
- Don’t stir the jambalaya an excessive amount of whereas it’s cooking. This may trigger the rice to grow to be mushy.
- Use medium or long-grain white rice for the most effective texture.
- Use a good-quality Cajun seasoning for the most effective taste.
The right way to Customise Your Jambalaya
One of many nice issues about jambalaya is that it’s such a flexible dish that may be personalized to your liking. Listed here are some methods to make it your personal:
- Use a special kind of sausage, or one other meat, equivalent to shrimp, crawfish, or pork. Take into account skinless rooster thighs as an alternative of breasts.
- Add different greens, equivalent to okra or tomatoes.
- In case you don’t like spicy meals, modify the spice degree to your liking. Spice lovers can enhance or add spices equivalent to crushed pink pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, sizzling sauce, or creole seasoning.
- Use a special kind of rice, equivalent to brown rice or basmati rice.
Serving and Storing This Spicy Creole Dish
Jambalaya is greatest served sizzling, straight from the pot. You’ll be able to garnish it with chopped parsley or inexperienced onions for added taste. It’s scrumptious for Mardi Gras or any time of the 12 months!
Leftover jambalaya may be saved in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days. To reheat, merely microwave or warmth on the range till heated via. We LOVE consuming the leftovers!!
Are you able to freeze Jambalaya?
Jambalaya may be frozen for as much as three months. Preserve frozen jambalaya within the freezer till you’re able to defrost and reheat it.
When reheating frozen jambalaya, thaw within the fridge in a single day after which reheat in a pot on the range or the microwave till sizzling all through. Alternatively, strive reheating Jambalaya in a gradual cooker or put the frozen jambalaya straight right into a skillet.
I hope you’ll strive making this scrumptious dinner dish. My entire household liked it, and it’s grow to be a staple in my menu rotation. Let me understand how you prefer it!
Weeknight Dinner Recipes
Busy weeks name for extra planning in the case of dinner concepts. It’s a very good factor I’ve these gradual cooker recipes to assist subsequent time you’re in a bind!
~ FOLLOW ME ~
~ FACEBOOK ~ PINTEREST ~
~ INSTAGRAM ~ TWITTER ~
~ YOUTUBE ~
Preserve a watch out for extra of my simple recipes every week!
This Jambalaya recipe is ideal for spicing up your dinner routine. A Cajun-inspired dish filled with taste will impress choosy eaters with meats, veggies, rice, and spices cooked to perfection. You’ll be able to even add some shrimp!
Stop your display screen from going darkish
Preheat oven to 350° F. Warmth a big Dutch oven over medium-high warmth and place the canola oil into it.
Season rooster on each side with among the salt and pepper after which brown the rooster on each side within the Dutch oven.
Take away the rooster and put aside in order that it’s cool sufficient to deal with and chop into bite-sized items.
Place chopped sausage into the pot and brown. Take away and put aside with the rooster.
Place flour within the backside of the pot, stirring continuously till browned. Add onion and pepper and sauté till gentle. Add garlic and tomatoes and prepare dinner at the least 5 minutes.
Add broth, thyme, basil, parsley, Cajun spice, and remaining salt and pepper, and produce to a boil.
Add rice, rooster, and sausage and return to a boil.
Dot the highest with butter, cowl the pot and place in oven. Bake for half-hour or till many of the liquid is absorbed.
Take away from oven, stir, add shrimp now (if desired) and sprinkle with Previous Bay seasoning.
Return pot to oven for about 5 minutes till shrimp are cooked via.
Serving: 1serving | Energy: 799kcal | Carbohydrates: 107g | Protein: 33g | Fats: 26g | Saturated Fats: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 5g | Monounsaturated Fats: 11g | Trans Fats: 0.3g | Ldl cholesterol: 99mg | Sodium: 1515mg | Potassium: 887mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 650IU | Vitamin C: 28mg | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 8mg
This submit was initially revealed March 3, 2012. It has been up to date in format and with footage on August 30,2023.