Discover ways to reduce cabbage for slaws, stir fries, soups, and extra! This step-by-step information teaches you methods to slice it into wedges, shreds, and squares.
Ever puzzled methods to reduce cabbage? You’re in the correct place! At the moment, I’m breaking down my favourite straightforward strategies for methods to reduce cabbage for salads, slaws, soups, and extra.
This put up is a part of my mission to get everybody to eat cabbage extra usually. This humble vegetable is nutritious, scrumptious, and versatile (to not point out low-cost!), however I’ll admit, from the skin, it may be intimidating. The place do you begin with a veggie that appears like a miniature globe?
I hope that the step-by-step directions and ideas beneath make making ready cabbage really feel easy. And in the event you want an thought for methods to use it after you chop it up, discover a few of my favourite cabbage recipes on the backside of this put up!
Sorts of Cabbage
Once you head to the produce part of your grocery retailer, you’ll seemingly see a number of of these kind of cabbage:
- Inexperienced cabbage (pictured above) – Its crisp, pale leaves pack densely into heavy spherical heads. Left uncooked, inexperienced cabbage is ideal for traditional coleslaw, but it surely additionally cooks up properly into soups and sautés.
- Purple cabbage (pictured above) – From the skin, it seems identical to inexperienced cabbage, besides it’s, nicely…pink. Add it to a slaw or grain bowl, or roast it.
- Napa cabbage – This number of Chinese language cabbage has a protracted, ovular form. Its leaves have crisp white stems and gentle, frilly pale inexperienced edges. I really like napa cabbage uncooked or cooked in dishes like stir fries and sautés.
- Savoy cabbage – An entire Savoy cabbage and a complete inexperienced cabbage have lots in frequent. Each are spherical; each are inexperienced. However Savoy cabbage’s leaves are rather more loosely packed, they usually have a softer, rufflier texture. Although this cabbage selection hails from the French Alps, its tender texture makes it a fantastic sub for napa cabbage in lots of recipes.
These kinds of cabbage all look completely different from the skin, however you may learn to reduce any of them utilizing the information beneath!
Find out how to Lower Cabbage Into Wedges
Slicing cabbage into wedges might be your finish purpose OR step one in direction of slicing it into one other form, like shreds or squares. It breaks down a big, unwieldy head of cabbage into extra manageable items.
- Begin by eradicating any outer leaves which can be robust, wilted, or discolored. Rinse the cabbage and blot it dry with paper towels or a kitchen towel.
- Then, find the stem or core. Will probably be on the backside of the cabbage the place the leaves be part of collectively.
- Use a pointy chef’s knife to chop the cabbage in half lengthwise by way of the core.
- Lower the halves in half, once more lengthwise by way of the core, to type 4 wedges.
Are wedges your stopping level? Proceed to slice the cabbage items by way of the core till the wedges are your required thickness. I feel 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick is a superb measurement for searing or roasting.
Wish to learn to reduce cabbage into skinny slices or squares? Hold studying!
Find out how to Lower Shredded Cabbage
Very first thing’s first: see the part above to be taught methods to reduce a cabbage into wedges.
- After getting 4 wedges, place one wedge reduce aspect down in your slicing board.
- Lower diagonally alongside the core to take away it from the wedge.
- Then, use a pointy chef’s knife to thinly slice the cabbage wedge crosswise, working down from the sharp tip in direction of the place you chop out the core.
- Repeat with the remaining wedges!
- Variation 1: For longer shreds, reduce the cabbage lengthwise as a substitute of crosswise. Thinly slice it alongside one of many reduce edges of every wedge.
- Variation 2: For very finely shredded cabbage, use a mandoline slicer. Maintain a cabbage wedge on the core finish and run the tip over the mandoline blade to slice it. Be sure you use the security guard!
- Variation 3: For chopped cabbage, like I take advantage of in my cabbage soup, reduce every wedge lengthwise into 1-inch uniform slices. Then, reduce 1-inch slices crosswise to type a grid. The leaves will separate into squares.
Favourite Cabbage Recipes
So, you realized methods to reduce a cabbage. How are you going to cook dinner it? When you want some inspo, strive making considered one of these recipes:
Yow will discover much more scrumptious cabbage recipes in my new cookbook, Love & Lemons Easy Really feel Good Meals.
In actual fact, it features a 3-day meal plan that’s designed to make use of a complete head of cabbage! The plan recipes—Seared Cabbage Wedges, Loaded Pita Nachos (pictured beneath), and Chickpea Tacos with Pickled Cabbage (pictured beneath)—are a few of my favorites within the ebook. Pre-order it now to get a free BONUS e-book!
Find out how to Lower Cabbage
Discover ways to reduce cabbage for slaws, soups, and extra! All you want is a pointy knife and a slicing board.
Take away any outer leaves from the cabbage which can be robust, discolored, or wilted. Rinse the cabbage and pat it dry. Place on a slicing board.
Find the stem or core on the backside of the cabbage the place the leaves be part of collectively. Use a pointy chef’s knife to slice the cabbage in half vertically by way of the core. Lower every half in half vertically by way of the core to type 4 wedges.
To chop thinner wedges for roasting or searing, proceed to chop the cabbage wedges vertically by way of the core till they attain your required thickness.
To chop shredded cabbage for slaws or sautés, place one cabbage wedge reduce aspect down in your slicing board. Lower diagonally alongside the core to take away it from the wedge. Working down from the sharp tip to the core finish, thinly slice the cabbage crosswise. Repeat with the remaining wedges.
To chop chopped cabbage for a stir fry or soup, reduce every wedge into 1-inch slices lengthwise, then reduce it into 1-inch slices crosswise to type a grid. The leaves will separate into squares.
Discover recipe options within the put up above, or take a look at these 17 Finest Cabbage Recipes.