Learn to make selfmade tortilla chips with this step-by-step recipe! They’re tremendous crispy and flavorful. Take pleasure in them along with your favourite dip!
When you have a bag of stale tortillas hanging out in your counter, don’t toss them. As an alternative, make selfmade tortilla chips!
These selfmade tortilla chips are crispy, flavorful, and lightweight as air. Made with simply 3 elements—corn tortillas, salt, and oil—they’re tremendous easy to make, and so they style 10 occasions higher than any store-bought tortilla chips I’ve tried. I can simply devour a handful plain, however the crunchy chips arise properly to dips like salsa and guacamole too. They’re the right snack for recreation day, Cinco de Mayo, or a taco evening. Preserve studying to learn to make them!
Easy methods to Make Tortilla Chips
My favourite methodology for tips on how to make tortilla chips is to fry them. I’m not typically one for frying at residence, sometimes selecting to bake or air fry as a substitute, however in the case of selfmade tortilla chips, really frying is completely price it. They arrive out so gentle and crispy!
And a plus of frying tortilla chips? It doesn’t require all that a lot oil. You’ll simply want 1/4 to 1/2 inch within the backside of your Dutch oven or skillet. A notice on oil alternative: Be certain that to make use of a impartial oil with a excessive smoke level for this recipe. Avocado oil, vegetable oil, canola oil, and peanut oil would all work nicely!
Okay, let’s cook dinner!
Step one on this recipe is chopping the tortillas. Use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to slice each into six wedges.
Subsequent, warmth the oil. Place a heavy, high-sided skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high warmth. The oil is prepared when its temperature reads 350°F on an instant-read thermometer. No thermometer? If you happen to add a small piece of tortilla to the oil, it ought to sizzle.
Then, add a single layer of tortilla triangles to the recent oil. They need to match within the skillet with out overlapping. Use tongs to flip the chips repeatedly till they’re pale golden brown, about 2 minutes. If they’re browning too rapidly, scale back the warmth.
When the chips are golden brown, allow them to drain. Use a spider or slotted spoon to switch them to a paper towel-lined plate or baking sheet and repeat with the remaining tortillas. Add extra oil to the pan as wanted.
Sprinkle with salt and serve!
Home made Tortilla Chips Ideas
- Use dry corn tortillas. I feel it goes with out saying, however flour tortillas won’t work on this recipe. They’re too moist to crisp up properly within the oil. Plus, corn tortillas give the chips wealthy depth of taste. Stale tortillas are splendid, however I’ve additionally efficiently made this recipe with dry corn tortillas straight from the grocery retailer.
- An instant-read thermometer helps. With one, you’ll be capable of monitor the oil’s temp in order that it stays at 350°F as you cook dinner. This recipe is workable with out one, however you’ll have to check the oil earlier than including the tortilla wedges (does a small piece of tortilla sizzle?) and modify the warmth up or down as wanted if the chips cease scorching or begin to brown too rapidly.
- Work in batches. If you happen to add too many tortillas to the oil directly, they’ll scale back the oil’s temperature significantly, so that they received’t begin to crisp up straight away. Plus, this methodology for tips on how to make tortilla chips requires flipping them as they cook dinner. When you have too many chips within the oil directly, you received’t be capable of flip them as usually as wanted.
- Sprinkle them with salt. For the flavour of those selfmade tortilla chips to actually pop, you must sprinkle them with salt after cooking. I like to make use of wonderful sea salt, however your favourite kosher salt or flaky salt would work too!
What about baked or air fryer tortilla chips?
My sizzling take? Don’t do it. I’ve tried making baked tortilla chips and air fryer tortilla chips so many occasions, and each time, I’m disenchanted by the outcomes. They don’t puff up in the way in which that fried chips do. As an alternative of changing into gentle and crisp, they’re thick, stiff, and stick-in-your-teeth crunchy.
Home made tortilla chips are a enjoyable deal with. Like I mentioned above, it’s SO price frying them!
Favourite Dip Recipes
Want a tasty dip to pair with this salty snack? You may’t go mistaken with any of those:
Home made Tortilla Chips
Serves 6 to eight
Learn to make selfmade tortilla chips! Crispy and flavorful, they’re scrumptious plain or along with your favourite dip.
- Excessive-heat cooking oil, comparable to avocado, canola, or vegetable oil
- 12 stale corn tortillas, reduce into 6 wedges every
- Sea salt
Line a plate with paper towels.
Fill a heavy skillet or Dutch oven with ¼ to ½ inch oil. Warmth the oil over medium-high warmth till its temperature reads 350°F on an instant-read thermometer, or till a small piece of tortilla sizzles when added to the oil.
Add sufficient tortilla wedges to the pan to slot in a single layer with out overlapping. Use tongs to flip the chips repeatedly till they’re crisp and pale golden brown, about 2 minutes. If the chips are browning too rapidly, scale back the warmth. Use a spider or slotted spoon to switch the chips to the paper towel-lined plate and repeat with the remaining tortillas, including extra oil to the pan as wanted.
Sprinkle with salt and serve instantly. Retailer leftover chips at room temperature for as much as 3 days.