My selfmade Oreo cookie recipe makes crisp, black cocoa-infused cookies sandwiched round a creamy vanilla filling. These cookies are SO nostalgic and as near the unique as you may get! Recipe features a how-to video!
Oreo Cookies From Scratch
This Oreo cookie recipe is my selfmade tackle the basic, tremendous nostalgic deal with. I wished skinny, crisp, black cookie shells with a creamy white filling; one thing that utterly evoked the reminiscence of Oreo cookies. My recipe is spot on (if I do say so myself🤓)–these cookies style like my childhood!
I really feel prefer it’s vital to say that my recipe makes selfmade Oreos which might be CRISP! So many recipes mimic the flavour, however don’t fairly obtain the feel of the actual factor. To me, Oreo cookies mustn’t have delicate “shells” like whoopie pies; they should be completely crisp. Mine are simply that, and so they break simply beneath your enamel, similar to the actual factor! The filling can be rigorously crafted to be completely candy, creamy and simply the suitable consistency. I adore it.
What You’ll Love About these Home made Oreos
- Tastes like the actual factor — however higher! You’ll acknowledge the style and texture of the store-bought basic, however these are subsequent degree in taste because of our components.
- Has the suitable texture I really feel like Oreos should be textured, even the selfmade type. I needed to get artistic with my methodology as a result of I don’t have a textured rolling pin (I’ve had my eye on this embossed one however haven’t pulled the set off on it but), however you’ll be able to positively use one (or go away yours clean!)
- CRISP and snappy. They break completely beneath your enamel, similar to an actual Oreo should!
- Genuine black & white shade. You gained’t get the deep black shade for the cookie shells by utilizing conventional cocoa, so I’ve included notes on the place to purchase black cocoa, as an alternative (it’s cheap and accessible on Amazon).
What You Want
For the Cookies
Home made Oreos are surprisingly easy to make. Whereas there aren’t too many components in my Oreo cookie recipe, I’d prefer to go over a couple of earlier than we get began.
- Black cocoa. I talked briefly about black cocoa in my pure vs. dutch course of cocoa submit, however you’ll be able to learn extra about it right here. Any such cocoa powder is crucial for correct Oreo taste and shade. I embrace notes on substituting different sorts of cocoa within the recipe notes beneath, however simply know that it actually gained’t be the identical cookie or have that basic style with out black cocoa. I purchase my black cocoa right here on Amazon (affiliate).
- Butter. I like to make use of unsalted butter, however when you solely have salted butter available, you’ll be able to scale back the salt within the cookies to simply ¼ teaspoon. Be sure your butter is softened earlier than starting.
- Baking soda. This helps make the cookies a bit extra brittle, which helps them snap completely below your enamel. We’ll additionally add some baking powder, which isn’t the identical factor as baking soda! You possibly can learn extra concerning the variations between the 2 in my baking powder vs. baking soda submit.
- Vanilla. I exploit two sorts of vanilla on this Oreo cookie recipe; pure vanilla within the cookies themselves, and clear vanilla for the filling. Extra on this beneath.
For the Filling
We’d like simply 5 components for the filling, one among which could shock you: shortening! I sometimes don’t prefer to bake with shortening, however I discovered it mandatory right here. Hold studying to search out out why, and your choices for substitutes.
- Butter. As soon as once more, ensure your butter is softened earlier than getting began. I exploit unsalted butter right here too and add extra salt myself.
- Shortening. I discovered at the very least some shortening was essential to maintain the filling from being too wealthy. Actual Oreos use shortening of their filling too, so it is smart to make use of it right here for probably the most genuine outcomes. Regardless of this, lots of you gained’t need to use shortening, and, actually, I get it! You possibly can simply substitute the shortening with an equal quantity of butter, however simply realize it gained’t be as true to the unique and might be fairly wealthy.
- Powdered sugar. Very similar to measuring flour, it may be straightforward to over-measure powdered sugar. Ensure you know how one can measure correctly to keep away from a frosting that’s too thick or too skinny.
- Clear vanilla. This retains the filling pure white and likewise offers it that basic Oreo filling taste. You should utilize common vanilla if that’s all you’ve gotten available, however the clear vanilla has a extra synthetic style like the actual factor (is that a little bit backwards so that you can learn, too? 🙃).
SAM’S TIP: In order for you even BETTER tasting (much less genuine, however higher) selfmade Oreos, substitute the shortening within the filling for softened (full-fat) cream cheese. Yum!
Keep in mind, that is simply an outline of the components I used and why. For the total recipe please scroll all the way down to the underside of the submit!
Tips on how to Make Home made Oreo Cookies
- Cream the butter and sugar till nicely mixed.
- Add the egg and vanilla and stir nicely.
- Mix the dry components in a separate bowl, then steadily add them to the moist components and stir till mixed.
- Kind the dough into two discs, then wrap in plastic. Place within the fridge to relax for at the very least one hour.
- Unwrap one disc of dough and roll it to 1/16-⅛″ thick on a calmly floured floor. Periodically use a spatula to scrape and loosen the dough as you roll to stop it from sticking.
- When you’d like so as to add a sample to your cookies, use an embossed rolling pin or press an the wrong way up grid-patterned cooling rack into your dough to create a diamond form. You might additionally skip this step for texture-free cookies.
- Minimize out the cookies with a small circle cookie cutter (I exploit 1 ¾”). Mix any scraps and re-roll after slicing. Repeat with the second disc of dough.
- Place the cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet, spacing 1″ aside. Bake for 8-10 minutes at 450F.
SAM’S TIP: I personally want my Oreo cookies to be a bit on the thinner facet, so I roll them nearer to 1/16″. You’ll get extra cookies this manner, however you’ll seemingly have to shave a minute off the bake time too.
- Let the cookies cool utterly earlier than filling and sandwiching.
- Make the filling by creaming collectively the butter and shortening.
- Progressively add the powdered sugar, then add the vanilla and salt.
- Pipe or unfold the filling onto the flat facet of 1 cookie, then high with the flat facet of one other. Repeat with the remaining cookies, and luxuriate in!
Continuously Requested Questions
Positive! You possibly can double the frosting recipe when you’d prefer to make your selfmade Oreos additional indulgent. Notice that this frosting is a bit much less stiff than the store-bought type, so it would squish out if you chew into your cookies when you double stuff them.
Retailer them at room temperature and loved inside 5 days. Sadly the selfmade model doesn’t final close to so long as the store-bought type (no synthetic preservatives right here), however that’s okay, as a result of these by no means final lengthy in my home anyway!
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video beneath! When you do that recipe, you should definitely tag me on Instagram, and you too can discover me on YouTube and Fb
Home made Oreo Cookie Recipe
Servings: 40 cookies
Forestall your display from going darkish
For cookie shells
In a big bowl cream collectively the butter and sugar utilizing an electrical mixer (or use a stand mixer) till nicely mixed.
1 cup (226 g) unsalted butter, softened, 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
Add the egg and vanilla to the butter combination and stir nicely.
1 giant egg, ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk collectively the flour, black cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
1 ¾ cups (220 g) all-purpose flour, ⅔ cups (67 g) black cocoa powder, ½ teaspoon baking powder, ¼ teaspoon baking soda, ¾ teaspoon salt
Progressively add the dry components to the moist components, mixing till nicely mixed.
Divide the dough into two equal components, kind every right into a disk about 1″ thick, and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for at the very least 1 hour earlier than continuing.
Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Put aside.
Working with one disc of dough at at time, unwrap dough and switch to a clear, calmly floured floor. Evenly sprinkle flour over the dough and use a rolling pin to roll the dough to about ⅛-1/16″ (0.2cm) thickness. To assist maintain the dough from sticking to the counter, periodically use a spatula to scrape beneath the dough and loosen it from the counter.
To make the sample proven on my cookies: take a clear, grid-patterned cooling rack and flip it the wrong way up. Gently press into the cookie dough, then gently raise, rotate the cooling rack, and press once more earlier than gently lifting and eradicating. Alternatively, use an embossed rolling pin or skip the design altogether.
Usea small spherical cookie cutter (I exploit 1 ¾” (4.5cm) circles) to chop out circles and switch to baking sheet, spacing 1” (2.5cm) aside. When you’ve made as many cuts as doable, you should definitely recombine the dough scraps, roll out once more, and minimize out extra cookies to maximise the dough yield.
Bake the cookies within the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes. Enable them to chill utterly earlier than filling.
For the Filling:
In a medium-sized bowl, cream collectively the softened unsalted butter and shortening utilizing an electrical mixer.
½ cup (113 g) unsalted butter, ¼ cup (45 g) vegetable shortening
Progressively add the powdered sugar, stirring till well-combined.
2 cups (250 g) powdered sugar
Stir in vanilla extract and salt.
½ teaspoon clear vanilla extract, ⅛ teaspoon salt
Pipe or unfold a skinny layer of the filling on the flat facet of a cooled cookie, after which sandwich with one other cookie, flat facet down.
Repeat with the remaining cookies and filling. Take pleasure in!
I like to recommend black cocoa for greatest outcomes. That is the black cocoa that I exploit. It’s possible you’ll substitute Dutch course of cocoa and even pure cocoa, however the shade and style won’t be the identical.
I discovered shortening was mandatory to offer these cookies the right style and mouthfeel. Nevertheless, when you merely gained’t use shortening, substitute with an equal quantity of butter. Notice the filling might be richer, sweeter, and fewer genuine tasting.
Clear vanilla is advisable for the filling to maintain it pure white and to contribute to the extra synthetic taste of the store-bought Oreo cookie. Be at liberty to substitute with common vanilla extract.
Retailer in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as 5 days.
Serving: 1cookie | Energy: 140kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 1g | Fats: 9g | Saturated Fats: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 1g | Monounsaturated Fats: 2g | Trans Fats: 0.4g | Ldl cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 65mg | Potassium: 32mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 219IU | Calcium: 9mg | Iron: 0.5mg
Dietary info relies on third-party calculations and must be thought of an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will fluctuate based mostly upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking methodology, portion sizes, and extra.