Tailored from my favourite chocolate cake recipe, this wealthy Guinness chocolate cake is made with lowered darkish stout beer for deep taste. Topped with extremely creamy chocolate Guinness cream cheese frosting, this cake may simply grow to be a brand new St. Patrick’s Day dessert custom.
I’m not making this up: whereas I used to be photographing at present’s cake, a rainbow really appeared in my yard—not within the sky, in entrance of the timber in my precise YARD. I knew it was good luck; this cake was DELICIOUS.
And thankfully, you don’t want to seek out the top of the rainbow to make this chocolate Guinness cake. You simply want 2 Guinness stout beers, and a few primary baking components.
Why Bake With Guinness?
You don’t have to love beer to like this cake. Darkish, clean, and creamy, with roast espresso and caramel undertones, Guinness stout is commonly utilized in baking and virtually all the time paired with chocolate. The 2 work properly collectively as a result of Guinness, like espresso, intensifies chocolate’s pure taste. Desserts like Guinness cupcakes and Guinness brownies don’t style like beer, only a extra advanced chocolate with a malty background.
We’re additionally incorporating the Guinness taste within the chocolate cream cheese frosting, which is nice and silky and enhances the darkish, fudgy chocolate cake completely.
So, to overview:
Why You’ll Love It
- Chocolate cake is wealthy, moist, and fudgy, with a touch of Guinness taste
- Malty undertones with notes of caramel and low
- Further creamy, silky chocolate cream cheese frosting additionally incorporates the lowered Guinness focus for one more kiss of taste
However, that is baking. And, as I usually say, baking is a science. You may’t simply pour a few beers into cake batter. So how can we pack actual Guinness taste into chocolate cake and frosting, with out turning all the things into soup? The trick is to cut back the beer on the range first, to pay attention the flavour right into a small quantity of liquid.
Finest Approach to Make Guinness Chocolate Cake: Scale back the Beer
The warmth evaporates the liquid (and cooks off the alcohol), however leaves the flavour. We additionally do that with champagne in my mimosa cupcakes and champagne frosting. And with strawberries in my strawberry cake, too.
This step is very easy. Pour 2 bottles of Guinness stout into a big saucepan. Let it come as much as simply boiling—hold an in depth eye on it, as a result of it can foam up so much at first—then flip down the warmth and go away it to simmer for about half-hour, till it’s lowered to simply about 3/4 cup (180ml). You’ll be left with much less liquid, however extra taste.
Will your kitchen scent like a brewery? Sure. Will the scent of baking chocolate cake rapidly overpower it? Additionally sure.
- Success tip: Use a bigger saucepan/pot than you assume you want, with excessive sides. When the beer begins boiling, it can get very foamy and threaten to boil over. Scale back the warmth to low; then, as the froth settles again down, slowly enhance warmth to medium.
As soon as the Guinness is simmering away, begin mixing collectively the remainder of the cake components.
Different Elements in Guinness Chocolate Cake
Let’s rapidly overview the opposite components you’ll be mixing with the lowered Guinness, and why every is essential to your outcomes:
- All-Objective Flour: The structural base of this recipe. Cake flour is nice for vanilla cake; however when mixed with ultra-light cocoa powder, it’s too high-quality for this cake. Stick with all-purpose right here.
- Unsweetened Pure Cocoa Powder: Don’t use dutch-process cocoa powder. In case you’re , see dutch-process vs pure cocoa powder for an in-depth clarification.
- Granulated Sugar: Sweetens this cake.
- Baking Soda + Baking Powder: This can be a pretty dense cake, however these 2 leavening brokers present the raise.
- Espresso Powder: Espresso powder accentuates the chocolate and Guinness flavors.
- Salt & Vanilla Extract: Taste and extra taste!
- Vegetable Oil: Cocoa powder is a very drying ingredient, so oil is required to make sure the cake is moist.
- Eggs: Eggs add construction and bind the components collectively.
- Bitter Cream + Buttermilk: Whilst you may use only one or the opposite, you’ll have one of the best success with a mix of each, which makes for a moist and smooth but sturdy crumb.
Whisk collectively the dry components, whisk collectively the moist components, then pour the moist combination into dry and whisk to mix. The final step for the cake batter is so as to add within the scorching lowered Guinness. We’ll use 1/2 cup (120ml) of scorching lowered Guinness within the cake batter, and put aside the remaining to chill fully for the frosting.
Why use scorching liquid? Sizzling liquid helps the cocoa powder “bloom,” drawing out its wealthy taste. We use scorching espresso on this chocolate cake and these cream-filled cupcakes, however at present we’re utilizing lowered Guinness as an alternative.
Chocolate Guinness Cream Cheese Frosting
I began with this recipe for clean and silky chocolate cream cheese frosting, and easily swapped cooled Guinness focus for the heavy cream. That’s it—my group and I didn’t take a look at something additional as a result of this Guinness-hinted frosting was creamy, tangy, chocolatey, and PERFECT.
Draught vs. Further Stout—Which Sort of Guinness to Use
Guinness Draught is richer and creamier, as a result of it’s carbonated with nitrogen. It has an ABV of 4.2%. Further Stout is slightly sharper and crisper, as a result of it’s carbonated with carbon dioxide like most beers. ABV is a bit increased, at 5.6%. Both one works on this recipe.
St. Patrick’s Day Treats
The BEST approach to impart actual Guinness taste into chocolate cake is to cut back it down on the range first. This packs in taste with out altering the cake’s texture. You too can put together this chocolate layer cake as a sheet cake. See recipe Be aware.
- Scale back the Guinness: In a big saucepan, convey the Guinness to a boil over medium-high warmth. As soon as boiling, cut back to medium warmth and permit to simmer till lowered all the way down to about 3/4 cup, about half-hour. Start making the cake batter as soon as the Guinness is simmering. You’ll use 1/2 cup of the new lowered Guinness within the cake batter, and put aside the remaining to chill for the frosting. You are able to do this step 1 day forward of time if wanted—see Be aware.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Grease two 9-inch cake pans, line with parchment paper rounds, then grease the parchment paper. Parchment paper helps the muffins seamlessly launch from the pans. (If it’s useful, see this parchment paper rounds for muffins video & publish.)
- Make the cake: Whereas the Guinness is simmering, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and espresso powder (if utilizing) collectively in a big bowl. Put aside.
- Utilizing a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment (or you should use a whisk) combine the oil, bitter cream, eggs, and vanilla collectively on medium-high velocity till mixed. Add the buttermilk and blend till mixed. Pour the moist components into the dry components, give it a fast combine/whisk, then add 1/2 cup (120ml) of scorching lowered Guinness. Combine or whisk on low velocity till the batter is totally mixed. Batter is skinny. If it helps, it’s best to have about 6 cups or 1250g of cake batter whole.
- Divide batter evenly between pans. Bake for 25–28 minutes or till a toothpick inserted within the middle comes out clear. Baking instances fluctuate, so keep watch over yours. The muffins are executed when a toothpick inserted within the middle comes out clear. (Be aware: Even when they’re fully executed, the cooled muffins might barely sink within the middle. Cocoa powder is solely not as structurally sturdy as all-purpose flour and may’t maintain as much as all of the moisture essential to make a moist chocolate cake. It’s regular!)
- Take away the muffins from the oven and set on a wire rack. Enable to chill fully within the pans.
- Make the frosting: With a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter collectively on medium velocity till creamy and clean, about 2 minutes. Add confectioners’ sugar, cocoa powder, 3 Tablespoons (45ml) cooled lowered Guinness, and a pinch of salt. Beat on low velocity for 30 seconds, then enhance to excessive velocity and beat for 1 full minute. Don’t over-whip. Add a pair extra Tablespoons of confectioners’ sugar or cocoa powder if frosting is just too skinny, or 1 extra Tablespoon of cooled lowered Guinness if frosting is just too thick. Style. Add one other pinch of salt if desired.
- Assemble and frost: If cooled muffins are domed on prime, use a big serrated knife to slice a skinny layer off the tops to create a flat floor. That is known as “leveling” the muffins. Discard or crumble over completed cake. Place 1 cake layer in your cake stand or serving plate. Utilizing a massive icing spatula or small offset spatula, evenly cowl the highest with about 1 cup (about 250g) of frosting. High with 2nd layer and unfold remaining frosting everywhere in the prime and sides. A bench scraper is useful for smoothing out the perimeters. I often go lighter on the perimeters of the cake, to have leftover frosting for piping across the prime. (Piping is non-obligatory.) If desired, garnish prime of cake with sprinkles.
- Refrigerate uncovered cake for at the least 30–60 minutes earlier than slicing to assist set the form. After that, you possibly can serve the cake or proceed refrigerating for as much as 4–6 hours earlier than serving. Cake may be served at room temperature or chilled.
- Cowl leftover cake tightly and retailer within the fridge for five days. I like utilizing a cake provider for storing and transporting.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: You may cut back the Guinness a day forward of time. Let cool, cowl, and refrigerate. Deliver lowered beer to room temperature earlier than utilizing within the frosting, and warmth 1/2 cup within the microwave or on the range till scorching to make use of within the cake batter. To make the cake forward of time: Put together cake via step 6. Wrap the person baked and cooled cake layers tightly and refrigerate for as much as 2 days or freeze as much as 3 months. Deliver to room temperature then proceed with step 7. You may put together the frosting 2–3 days prematurely. Cowl and refrigerate, then convey to room temperature earlier than spreading onto/assembling the cake. Frosted cake freezes properly, as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge, then convey to room temperature or serve chilly.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): 9-inch Cake Pans | Electrical Mixer (Handheld or Stand Mixer) | Glass Mixing Bowls | Whisk | Cake Turntable | Icing Spatula | Bench Scraper | Gold Shimmer Sprinkles | Cake Provider (for storing)
- Cocoa Powder: Use pure cocoa powder within the cake batter, not dutch-process. (See dutch-process vs pure cocoa powder for extra data.) As a result of there is no such thing as a leavening occurring in frosting, you should use both pure or dutch-process within the frosting.
- Buttermilk: Buttermilk is required for this recipe. You can also make your personal DIY model of buttermilk if wanted. Add 1 teaspoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to a liquid measuring cup. Then add sufficient room-temperature complete milk to the identical measuring cup till it reaches 1/2 cup (120ml). (In a pinch, decrease fats or nondairy milks work for this soured milk, however the cake gained’t style as moist or wealthy.) Stir it round and let sit for five minutes. The home made “buttermilk” can be considerably curdled and able to use within the recipe.
- Quantity of Cake Batter: This recipe (and the bitter cream model) yields about 6 cups of batter, which is useful when you want it for various Cake Pan Sizes & Conversions.
- Room Temperature Elements: All refrigerated gadgets must be at room temperature so the batter mixes collectively simply and evenly. Learn extra about why room temperature components are vital.
- Why scorching liquid? You need the lowered Guinness to be scorching while you add it to the remainder of the cake batter, to assist the cocoa powder “bloom.” This makes for one of the best chocolate taste.
- 9×13-Inch Pan: You may bake this cake as a sheet cake in a 9×13-inch baking pan. Similar oven temperature, about 35–40 minutes bake time.
- Guinness Cupcakes: Right here is my recipe for chocolate Guinness cupcakes with mocha Guinness buttercream.
Key phrases: guinness chocolate cake