This isn’t your common grilled cheese sandwich! We’re combining 4 totally different cheeses with a flavored butter unfold and an irresistible mayo to create a grilled Mexican cheese sandwich.
We reside proper by the mountains and have been loving grabbing the youngsters and heading as much as the mountains to eat and hike or watch a film. A full-of-flavor soup, like taco stew, is a type of hit-the-spot soups that warms you from the within out however don’t cease there! Why not go loopy with a Mexican fashion grilled cheese stuffed with cheese, a killer roasted jalapeno mayo and also you guys, the tacky butter unfold on high… I could by no means depart my kitchen once more!
What’s soup should you don’t have one thing to sop up all that deliciousness with?! Taco stew, meet Mexican Grilled Cheese. Let’s fall in love.
Prepare for all of the cheeses, tacky butter and roasted jalapeno mayo! Here’s a listing of all of the components you’ll need to make these indulgent sandwiches:
Sandwich: sourdough bread, Oaxaca cheese, cheddar cheese, Chihuahua cheese, and cotija cheese
Butter: unsalted butter, mayonnaise, cotija cheese, cheddar cheese, cilantro, and chili flakes
Mayo: mayonnaise, garlic powder, onion powder, jalapeno, and pink bell pepper
The way to Make Mexican Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Making these sandwiches to gooey perfection is a bit bit like a dance, so let’s get to the kitchen and begin shaking a leg!
First, combine all of the components for the flavored butter collectively and set it apart. Then combine all of the components for the mayo collectively and set it apart. Then we’ll leap into assembling the sandwiches. This works finest in case you have all of the cheese sliced and able to go.
- Warmth a skillet over medium warmth and butter one aspect of a slice of the bread with the butter. Put the buttered aspect of the bread down on the skillet.
- Unfold a number of the mayo all around the different aspect of the bread.
- Prime with half of the cheeses.
- Take one other slice of bread and smear the mayo on one aspect. Put the saucy aspect of the bread down on high of the cheeses and butter the surface of the bread.
- Flip the sandwich as soon as the aspect that’s down on the skillet is golden brown. Let it cook dinner on the second aspect till the cheese is all melty.
- Repeat these steps with the opposite two slices of bread and the remaining cheeses.
- Serve with soup!
Did you catch all these steps? It’s not too sophisticated, however you simply need to be sure you get the butter and the sauce on the proper sides of the bread and all the things is completed in the proper order. You’re going to like this recipe!
What Type of Bread is Finest for Grilled Cheese?
We’re all a couple of good high quality sourdough bread like The Rustik Oven model. It’s so gentle and chewy but additionally hearty sufficient to deal with all of the goodness packed into this grilled cheese sandwich. When you aren’t a sourdough lover, then an excellent white bread or french bread additionally work nice.
What’s Oaxaca Cheese?
Oaxaca cheese can also be known as quesillo or asadero cheese. It’s a white cheese originating from Oaxaca, Mexico that’s comparable in taste to Monterey Jack cheese however extra like mozzarella in texture. The flavour is buttery and barely salty and it’s nice for melting. It balances the spicy taste typically present in Mexican meals.
It has change into increasingly more standard and might often be present in massive grocery retailer chains, however should you can’t discover it, first rate substitutes embrace mozzarella, Monterey jack, or Muenster.
What’s Chihuahua Cheese?
Chihuahua cheese is produced from cow’s milk and has a salty, delicate and barely bitter taste. It’s nice for cooking as a result of it melts nicely and will get additional gooey. It originates within the Chihuahua area of northern Mexico.
I’ve truly had probably the most luck discovering it at Costco, and infrequently I discover it at Walmart and Kroger shops. When you can’t discover it, medium cheddar cheese or Muenster are good substitutes.
The way to Roast a Jalapeno
I’m not a fan of spicy, however I’m an enormous fan of the flavour that jalapenos add to a dish so one approach to calm the warmth in a jalapeno is to roast it. Cut back the warmth by heating it…is unnecessary! But it surely works! You may roast jalapenos within the oven or on the stovetop.
- To roast within the oven, transfer your high rack to the very high place in your oven in order that your baking sheet will probably be 3-4 inches from the highest.
- Preheat the oven to 450 levels Fahrenheit.
- Clear after which dry your peppers and brush them with a bit little bit of canola oil. Sprinkle them with a bit salt after which place them on a baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet within the preheated oven and switch them each 4-5 minutes till they’re charred on all sides.
- When they’re charred throughout, take away the peppers from the oven and instantly stick them in a plastic bag and seal the bag closed to steam them. Allow them to sit for a minimum of quarter-hour.
- Take away the peppers from the bag. The skins must be simple to take away. Then you possibly can take away the seeds if you would like and proceed together with your recipe.
- To roast on the stovetop, you could have a gasoline vary.
- Clear and dry your peppers and brush them with a bit canola oil. Sprinkle them with a bit salt.
- Flip one burner on to medium warmth and utilizing tongs and an oven mitt, rotate every jalapeno over the flame till it chars and blisters on all sides.
- Place the charred peppers right into a plastic bag to allow them to steam for a minimum of quarter-hour.
- The skins on the peppers ought to then be simple to take away. Take away the seeds if desired and use in your recipe.
What to Eat with Grilled Mexican Cheese Sandwiches
You could possibly eat this grilled Mexican cheese sandwich all by itself, however why would you try this should you can dip it in a scrumptious soup?! A number of of our favourite soups for dipping this grilled cheese sandwich with a Mexican makeover are our taco stew (like I discussed firstly), our tacky southwestern hen tortilla soup, our traditional hen tortilla soup or our enchilada chili.
Can Grilled Mexican Cheese Sandwiches Be Made Forward of Time?
That is a type of meals that’s finest eaten contemporary and proper off the pan. The cheese is melty and gooey. The bread is crunchy on the surface and saucy on the within. It doesn’t save nicely, so eat it sizzling!
4 cheeses, excellent sourdough bread, a flavored butter and a roasted jalapeno mayo all come collectively to take advantage of outrageously scrumptious grilled Mexican cheese sandwich!
Extra Sandwich Recipes You’ll Love:
Grilled Mexican Cheese Sandwich
This is not your common grilled cheese sandwich! We’re combining 4 totally different cheeses with a flavored butter unfold and an irresistible sauce to create a grilled Mexican cheese sandwich.
- 4 Slices Sourdough Bread
- 4 Slices Oaxaca Cheese
- 4 Slices Cheddar Cheese or pepper jack
- 1/2 Cup Chihuahua Cheese shredded, or Mexican cheese mix, shredded
- 2 Tablespoons Cotija Cheese
For the Butter
- 6 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter softened
- 2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 1/4 Cup Cotija Cheese
- 3 Tablespoons Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 2 Tablespoons Cilantro chopped
- Pinch Chili Flakes
For the Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 Roasted Jalapeno minced (see observe)
- 1 Tablespoon Purple Bell Pepper minced
For the Sandwich
Warmth a pan to medium warmth and butter a slice of bread on one aspect. Place within the pan buttered aspect down and rapidly unfold the sauce on the within and high with half of the cheeses.
Seize one other slide of bread and smear on the sauce, then place the lid on and butter the surface. Flip as soon as golden and cook dinner till melty!
Repeat with the opposite 2 slices of bread and the remainder of the cheese.
Flip as soon as golden and cook dinner till melty! Serve with soup!
Observe on how you can roast a jalapeno
Grilled Mexican Cheese Sandwich
Quantity Per Serving (1 sandwich)
Energy from Fats 810
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 46g288%
Trans Fats 1g
Polyunsaturated Fats 13g
Monounsaturated Fats 21g
Ldl cholesterol 219mg73%
Vitamin A 2347IU47%
Vitamin C 14mg17%
* P.c Every day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie food regimen.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Candy Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
Whenever you attempt a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for an opportunity to be featured in our tales! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.