Contemporary with the flavors of the Mediterranean, this fast Greek Tomato Feta Soup is a zesty and simple soup recipe made with candy juicy tomatoes, tender orzo pasta, creamy feta, and a light-weight chili kick. Pure consolation meals!
An Simple Tomato Feta and Orzo Soup Recipe
This vegetarian soup is impressed by the flavors and smells of the Mediterranean. Candy, ripe tomatoes, savory herbs, Greek orzo pasta, and chunks of salty feta cheese mix in a dish the place each spoonful tastes like summer season. I noticed a model of this on TikTok and tried her recipe. Since then I’ve been making it actually on repeat for months and have modified it a little bit alongside the best way to go well with my style. It’s truthful to say I’m completely obsessed with this soup recipe. The straightforward flavors and the simplicity of the recipe are excellent, and everybody who tries it loves it!
This is likely one of the best soup recipes you’ll ever make, and one of many tastiest. It’s surprisingly filling due to the pasta and richness of the feta, and it’s prepared on the stovetop in lower than half-hour. Excellent for a light-weight lunch or dinner, or you’ll be able to serve it with a facet of Garlic Bread for a heartier meal.
What Is Orzo?
Given its small, grain-like form, many individuals usually mistake orzo for rice. And it does look rather a lot prefer it! Nevertheless, orzo (additionally known as rosini) is a sort of Italian pasta, constituted of semolina flour. You’ll discover it alongside different pasta in your native grocery retailer aisle.
What You’ll Want
Just like the viral feta tomato pasta that shares the flavors of this recipe, this creamy tomato feta soup comes along with just some easy components. Keep in mind to check with the recipe card for the complete quantities:
- Vegetable Broth: This vegetarian recipe makes use of vegetable broth or inventory. I like to recommend utilizing low-sodium broth, so you’ll be able to alter the soup’s saltiness to style.
- Olive Oil: Use an honest high quality olive oil for one of the best taste.
- Herbs and Spices: dried oregano, crushed crimson pepper flakes, salt, and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Orzo Pasta: It is a kind of small, short-cut pasta (see above). Such a pasta is widespread in Greek and Italian cooking, so I believed it was excellent to incorporate on this Mediterranean-style tomato soup!
- Canned Tomatoes: I make this soup from canned tomatoes, which I’ll drain after which chop. I choose complete plum tomatoes as they’ve the sweetest taste, however any number of canned tomatoes will do. Hearth-roasted tomatoes would additionally add a deeper taste.
- Feta Cheese: Feta cheese has a scrumptious salty, tangy taste. Use good high quality Greek feta cheese, and reduce it into small cubes (some manufacturers come already diced).
- Purple Wine Vinegar: Hitting the soup with a splash of crimson wine vinegar proper on the finish brightens all the pieces up and actually makes the flavors shine.
Can I Make This Soup With Contemporary Tomatoes?
Completely! I take a shortcut utilizing canned plum tomatoes, however you’ll be able to 100% make this soup with contemporary complete tomatoes as a substitute. You’ll wish to take away the tomato skins on this case, which is definitely SO straightforward. Right here’s the way to shortly peel tomatoes to make use of on this soup:
- Deliver a pot of water to a boil, and put together a separate bowl with an ice bathtub. Gently pierce the pores and skin on the underside of every tomato with a knife.
- Blanche the tomatoes in boiling water for 30-60 seconds. This helps loosen up the tomato skins. When the skins start to wrinkle and peel away, switch the tomatoes instantly to the ice bathtub.
- After a minute or two, rigorously peel the skins away from the tomato flesh, and discard.
- Chop up the tomatoes as directed. Voila!
How one can Make Tomato Soup with Orzo and Feta
This Greek tomato feta soup is so easy to make, it’ll really feel such as you’ve taken a Mediterranean trip (nicely, shut sufficient):
- Warmth the Broth: First, you’ll warmth vegetable broth in a big pot with olive oil and a few seasonings, till it reaches a boil.
- Add Orzo and Tomatoes: Subsequent, stir within the orzo pasta and chopped tomatoes, then simmer to prepare dinner the pasta.
- Add Feta: Now, for one of the best half! After about 20 minutes, take the pot off of the warmth and stir within the feta cubes. Add a spoonful of crimson wine vinegar to complete, and stir. The feta will soften barely, changing into creamy.
- Serve: Modify the seasonings to style, then dish up your soup whereas it’s heat. See under for straightforward sides to serve with this Greek tomato soup!
Suggestions for Success
This tomato feta soup recipe is nearly assured to return out excellent. Listed here are some ultimate ideas for one of the best tomato soup:
- The feta cheese is one of the best a part of this soup. IMHO. Feta provides creaminess, saltiness, and a little bit of tang that turns this soup from “wow” to “WOW.” Don’t skip it! In a pinch, goat cheese is one of the best substitute.
- Keep away from overcooking the pasta. Intention to prepare dinner the orzo al dente. Overcooking will flip the pasta (to not point out your soup) right into a mushy mess.
- In case you’d choose a smoother soup, you should use an immersion blender to puree the tomatoes within the broth.
Listed here are some other ways that you would be able to make this tomato feta soup your individual:
- Hen Inventory: This soup is at the moment made vegetarian, however it may be made with rooster inventory or broth if you happen to choose.
- Completely different Pasta: Instead of orzo, use one other kind of small pasta like orecchiette, ditalini, fussili, pastina, or bow tie pasta. Or, for a lighter soup, omit the pasta altogether.
- Contemporary Herbs: Stir in chopped contemporary basil, oregano, thyme, sage, or freshly minced garlic.
- Extra Veggies: Diced bell peppers, zucchini, riced cauliflower.
- Lemon: Along with or instead of the crimson wine vinegar, stir in a spoonful of contemporary lemon juice for some lemon orzo soup vibes.
Greek tomato feta soup is a scrumptious mild bowlful all by itself, however you’ll be able to by no means go flawed with some straightforward facet dishes:
Storing and Reheating Home made Tomato Soup
Refrigerate any leftover tomato feta soup hermetic for as much as 5 days. The soup may be reheated on the range or within the microwave till warmed by way of. You may discover that the soup will thicken whereas it’s saved, because the orzo absorbs extra of the liquid. Add a bit of additional broth to loosen it up if wanted.
If you realize you’ll have plenty of leftovers, you’ll be able to miss the feta till you’re able to reheat it. That manner the cheese shall be contemporary on the reheat!
To make this recipe forward, put together the tomato soup proper up till you’ll add the feta, then enable it to chill earlier than storing it hermetic and refrigerating. Everytime you’re able to serve it, reheat the soup, then stir in contemporary cubed feta together with the crimson wine vinegar.
Can I Freeze Tomato Feta Soup?
In case you’d wish to freeze this soup, I’d undoubtedly advocate freezing it earlier than including the feta cheese. As soon as the soup is cooled, retailer it hermetic and freeze it for as much as 3 months. Defrost the soup within the fridge earlier than reheating and stirring within the feta.
Greek Tomato Feta Soup is a simple vegetarian recipe filled with the flavors of the Mediterranean. Made with juicy tomatoes, creamy feta, tender orzo pasta, and a light-weight chili kick.
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon crushed crimson pepper flakes (relying on how a lot warmth you want)
- 1 teaspoon contemporary floor black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 1 (28- ounce) can of complete plum tomatoes, drained and reduce into chunks
- 12– ounces of feta cheese small cubed
- 1 tablespoon crimson wine vinegar
- Warmth a 5- quart dutch oven over medium-high warmth. Add within the vegetable broth, olive oil, oregano, crimson pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Deliver to a boil.
- Add within the orzo pasta and tomatoes. Scale back warmth to medium and prepare dinner for 20-25 minutes, till the pasta is tender, stirring often.
- Take away the pot from the warmth and add within the cubed feta cheese and crimson wine vinegar. Stir to mix. Modify seasonings if needed.
- Serve heat.
Retailer hermetic within the fridge for as much as 5 days. Reheat on the range high or within the microwave.
Key phrases: tomato soup recipe, orzo soup, vegetarian soup recipes
Need To Save This Recipe?
Discover extra recipes like this:
Extra Simple Soup Recipes
PIN for later: