Gnocchi with Tomato Sauce is a fast and straightforward weeknight meal that comes collectively in simply half-hour, and also you want just one pan! It is a dairy-free recipe that has no cream and no cheese, however is filled with taste! Impress your loved ones and pals by cooking this well-balanced meal. It would develop into a brand new household favourite!
Gnocchi with Tomato Sauce
In case you’re bored with the identical previous recipes with tomato sauce, you will not be disillusioned by this straightforward, 30-minute, one-pan weeknight dinner! Right here, the normal tomato sauce is mixed along with gnocchi, Italian sausage, spinach, and mushrooms. It is a restaurant-worthy dish that’s good for weekdays or for that big day when you’ve gotten firm over. The recipe makes use of primary elements, equivalent to store-bought tomato sauce and shelf-stable gnocchi to attenuate cooking occasions and the cleanup!
Why you may love tomato gnocchi
- Use store-bought tomato sauce. This consists of all kinds of choices, together with tomato sauce in glass jars (my favourite) and canned tomatoes. I want tomato sauce with tomato chunks in them. Your choices embrace however will not be restricted to marinara sauce, tomato basil sauce, canned diced tomatoes, or canned crushed tomatoes.
- There isn’t any cream and no cheese – they aren’t wanted as there are too many different flavors and textures at play on this recipe, together with Italian seasoning, purple pepper flakes, and garlic. Mushy, pillowy gnocchi launch starch and thicken spicy tomato sauce. This recipe tastes like consolation meals with none cream or cheese!
- The one-pan gnocchi is cooked in the identical skillet as the remainder of the elements so that you solely want one cooking pan. The cleanup is minimal, in consequence.
What sort of gnocchi to make use of
- Shelf-stable gnocchi (dry, packaged) is what I used with the tomato sauce on this recipe. I used store-bought potato gnocchi, Delallo model, made with 85% potatoes.
- Refrigerated gnocchi – you will discover these, you guessed it, within the refrigerated pasta part of some grocery shops! They are going to work nice right here, as nicely.
- Cauliflower gnocchi bought by Dealer Joe’s can be used on this recipe with out making any modifications.
- Can you utilize do-it-yourself gnocchi? If utilizing do-it-yourself gnocchi, be very cautious cooking them, as they may disintegrate or flip into mush in a sauce-based recipe like this one.
- Gnocchi. I used store-bought potato gnocchi, Delallo model, made with 85% potatoes.
- Sausage. Crumbled spicy Italian sausage works one of the best. You can too use Italian sausage hyperlinks (casings eliminated, sausage crumbled). Or, use gentle or candy Italian sausage – and add some spice to it!
- Tomato sauce. Use your favourite tomato sauce – it may be a store-bought tomato pasta sauce or marinara sauce. Any taste will work: conventional, marinara, tomato basil, arrabbiata, or garlic tomato sauce.
- Spinach. I exploit contemporary spinach and wilted it proper within the sauce. You can too use frozen spinach – thawed and drained of any liquid. Or, use kale as a substitute.
- Mushrooms. I used contemporary crimini mushrooms. You can too use portobello mushrooms or shiitake.
- Olive oil is used for sauteeing mushrooms.
- Rooster broth is added to prepare dinner the gnocchi. You can too use vegetable or beef broth (or inventory). Or, merely use water.
- Italian seasoning provides a ton of taste to gnocchi with tomato sauce.
- Smoked paprika is one other spice that provides each shade and many taste to this dish.
- Garlic. I used contemporary minced garlic. It provides aroma and pungency to tomato gnocchi.
- Salt and pepper. Use these to style. I like to recommend utilizing freshly floor or coarse black pepper.
- Pink pepper flakes will add warmth. Use these sparingly, to style, in order that they do not overwhelm the dish.
How one can make one-pan gnocchi with tomato sauce
This simple recipe is completed in 5 easy steps.
1) Prepare dinner mushrooms. Begin by cooking the sliced mushrooms seasoned with salt and pepper in olive oil in a big high-sided skillet. Take away them to the plate.
2) Prepare dinner sausage. Add crumbled sausage to the identical skillet and prepare dinner on medium warmth for about 5 minutes or till the sausage is cooked. Drain extra fats.
3) Prepare dinner the gnocchi. Subsequent, to the identical skillet with sausage, add the gnocchi, minced garlic, Italian seasoning, purple pepper flakes, tomato sauce, and hen broth. Prepare dinner on medium warmth, often stirring, for about 5 minutes.
4) Add contemporary spinach, and prepare dinner on medium warmth till the spinach wilts to your liking.
5) Meeting. Lastly, assemble the dish by seasoning gnocchi with tomato sauce with salt and pepper, if desired. Prime with the cooked mushrooms. Your dinner is prepared!
What can you utilize as a substitute of gnocchi?
If you cannot discover gnocchi, you should use short-cut pasta as a substitute. I like to recommend utilizing orzo, bow-tie (farfalle), fusilli, orecchiette, rotini, or rigatoni. The short-cut pasta works nice for one-pan meals.
Variations and substitutions
- Use different greens. Swiss chard, arugula, or kale will work nice in addition to spinach.
- Add some other veggies you want: roasted bell peppers, broccoli, inexperienced beans, asparagus, and so forth.
- Add sausage or hen. I like to recommend utilizing spicy Italian sausage, hen sausage, or skinless boneless hen thighs. You can too use plant-based sausage equivalent to Past sausage model.
- Use shelf-stable packaged gnocchi for finest outcomes. Your subsequent most suitable option is refrigerated gnocchi or cauliflower gnocchi. Home made gnocchi will be fragile and disintegrate within the sauce or flip into mush, so watch out if utilizing do-it-yourself stuff.
- You needn’t pre-cook the gnocchi. Simply add the raw gnocchi on to the tomato sauce and prepare dinner it in the identical pan. This protects you another pan to scrub and minimizes the cleanup.
- Are you able to make it gluten-free? Sure! There’s gluten-free gnocchi obtainable on-line or in some grocery shops. Simply be certain to examine the label.
- Toppings. When serving, you’ll be able to add grated Parmesan cheese (or Asiago, Romano, or Gruyere), contemporary herbs, chopped inexperienced onions, or chopped chives.
Storage and reheating suggestions
- Fridge. Retailer tomato gnocchi in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 4 days.
- Freezer. As a result of there isn’t a cream and no cheese within the sauce, this recipe is freezer-friendly. Freeze this dish in a freezer-safe container for as much as 2 months.
- Reheat on the stovetop. I like to recommend reheating this dish on the stovetop for one of the best outcomes. After being refrigerated, the gnocchi and tomato sauce will thicken. Reheat it slowly, over low-medium warmth in a big, high-sided skillet on the stovetop. When utilizing this technique, add a small quantity of broth or water to skinny out the sauce.
What to serve with it
A slice of bread and a contemporary salad is all it is advisable serve with the gnocchi and tomato sauce.
- Bread. Serve this simple recipe with one thing equally easy, equivalent to a slice of store-bought, heat Italian bread, garlic bread, or olive bread loaf. Breadsticks are nice, too!
- Tomato Cucumber Avocado Salad with Mozzarella and Basil Pesto
- Apple Spinach Salad with Maple-Lime Dressing
- Beet Salad with Spinach, Cashews, Cranberries, and Goat Cheese
- Cranberry Spinach Salad with Cashews and Goat Cheese and Lemon-Honey Poppy Seed Dressing
- Easy Spinach Salad with Pine Nuts, Parmesan Cheese
- Arugula Salad with Pears, Apples, and Cashews
Different gnocchi recipes you may like
Gnocchi with Tomato Sauce (30-Minute, One-Pan Meal)
Gnocchi with Tomato Sauce is a fast and straightforward weeknight meal that comes collectively in simply half-hour, utilizing just one pan! It is a dairy-free recipe that has no cream and no cheese, however numerous flavors! Impress your loved ones and pals with this well-balanced meal and it would develop into a brand new household favourite!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 oz mushrooms crimini, sliced
- 15 oz Italian sausage crumbled
- 16 oz gnocchi raw
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning or Herbs from Provence
- purple pepper flakes to style
- 13 oz tomato sauce equivalent to tomato pasta sauce or marinara (I like to make use of sauce with chunks of tomatoes in it)
- ½ cup hen broth or water
- 6 oz spinach contemporary
- salt and coarsely floor black pepper to style
- contemporary thyme for garnish
Warmth 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium warmth in a big, high-sided skillet.
Add sliced mushrooms and prepare dinner for 3 or 5 minutes till they’re cooked by means of however not overcooked. Season them frivolously with salt and pepper. Take away mushrooms from the skillet.
To the identical, now empty, skillet, add crumbled sausage and prepare dinner on medium warmth for about 5 minutes or till the sausage is cooked. Drain extra fats.
To the identical skillet with sausage, add the raw gnocchi, minced garlic, Italian seasoning, purple pepper flakes, tomato sauce, and hen broth (or water). Convey to a boil on medium warmth and stir all the things nicely. Prepare dinner on medium warmth, often stirring, for about 5 minutes.
Add contemporary spinach and prepare dinner for about 5 extra minutes till spinach wilts and gnocchi are fully cooked by means of.
Combine all the things nicely. Take away from warmth.
Season with salt, freshly floor coarse black pepper, and purple pepper flakes, if wanted. Prime with cooked sliced mushrooms. Garnish with contemporary thyme.
- Tomato sauce. It may be a store-bought tomato pasta sauce or marinara sauce. I want tomato sauces bought in glass jars. Any taste will work: conventional, tomato basil, arrabbiata, or garlic tomato sauce. I like to recommend utilizing a tomato sauce with tomato chunks in it. You can too use canned diced tomatoes or crushed tomatoes.
- Sausage. I used spicy Italian crumbled sausage. You should use some other type of crumbled sausage (or sausage in casings – however take away the casings).
- Italian seasoning of Herbs from Provence. The combination that I used contained dried rosemary, thyme, parsley, tarragon, marjoram, basil, and sage.
The dietary data on this web site is barely an estimate and is supplied for comfort and as a courtesy solely. The accuracy of the dietary data for any recipe on this web site shouldn't be assured. It shouldn't be used as an alternative to an expert nutritionist’s recommendation.