Introducing our new and improved approach to croissant! Made with the identical substances as the normal however with a less-fussy, beginner-friendly methodology, these Genius (Fast) Croissants are the gateway baked good to the world of lamination.
Genius (Fast) Croissants
- ⅓ cup (80 grams) water
- 6 tablespoons (72 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- 2¼ teaspoons (7 grams) energetic dry yeast
- 4½ cups (572 grams) bread flour
- 3¾ teaspoons (10.5 grams) kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup (227 grams) plus 6 tablespoons (84 grams) chilly unsalted European-style butter, minimize into ¾-inch cubes and divided
- 1 cup (240 grams) chilly entire milk
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 4 cups (960 grams) water
- 1 massive egg (50 grams)
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, stir collectively ⅓ cup (80 grams) water and ½ teaspoon (2 grams) sugar; warmth on excessive in 10-second intervals till an instant-read thermometer registers 110°F (43°C) to 115°F (46°C). Whisk in yeast till effectively mixed. Let stand till foamy, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Within the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat bread flour, 3½ teaspoons (10.5 grams) salt, and remaining 5 tablespoons plus 2½ teaspoons (70 grams) sugar at low pace till mixed. Add 6 tablespoons (84 grams) chilly butter; pulse mixer between low pace and “off” setting till combination resembles coarse bread crumbs, about 3 minutes. Add remaining 1 cup (227 grams) chilly butter; pulse mixer between low pace and “off” setting simply till butter is coated with flour.
- Add chilly milk to yeast combination; whereas pulsing mixer between low pace and “off” setting, add yeast combination to flour combination in a gradual, regular stream simply till a shaggy dough comes collectively. (There’ll nonetheless be massive items of butter.)
- Calmly mud work floor with all-purpose flour. End up dough, and form right into a tough 7-inch sq.. (Dough can be comfortable and barely sticky.) Wrap in plastic wrap, and freeze for half-hour.
- Calmly mud work floor with all-purpose flour. Roll dough into an 18×9-inch rectangle, evenly dusting floor and prime of dough with all-purpose flour as wanted. Fold dough in half so brief sides meet. Pat fold to mark middle. Unfold dough, and pull one brief facet to middle. Pull reverse facet to middle so brief sides are touching. Pinch seams collectively; fold alongside middle seam, like closing a guide. Rotate dough 90 levels; repeat rolling and folding process as soon as. (Dough will begin out comfortable, tough, and considerably sticky however will come collectively; flip dough over as wanted so edges are rolled out as evenly as attainable.) Wrap in plastic wrap, and freeze for quarter-hour.
- Repeat rotating, rolling, and folding course of as soon as. Wrap in plastic wrap, and freeze for 10 minutes. (If dough is resisting or feels too comfortable, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for 10 to fifteen minutes earlier than persevering with.) Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1½ hours.
- Place oven racks in prime third and backside third of oven. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan, convey 4 cups (960 grams) water to a boil over medium-high warmth. Place pan on prime oven rack in again nook. (This will get your oven steamy but additionally permits the area to chill a bit when you’re shaping the dough.)
- Calmly mud work floor with all-purpose flour. Roll dough into an 18×12½-inch rectangle (about ¼ inch thick). (If dough or butter feels too comfortable, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for 10 to fifteen minutes earlier than persevering with.) Utilizing a pizza cutter or pastry wheel, trim dough right into a 16×12-inch rectangle; minimize into 4 (12×4-inch) rectangles. Reduce every rectangle diagonally to create 8 triangles. Make a 1-inch minimize from middle of 4-inch vast base of every triangle. Wrap in plastic wrap, and freeze for 10 minutes. (See web page 51 for various shaping choices.)
- Very gently stretch triangles to about 16 inches lengthy. Beginning at vast base of every triangle, fold middle corners of 1-inch minimize towards sharpest level of dough; roll dough, jelly roll model, towards sharpest level. Place, level facet down, 2½ to three inches aside on ready pans. (Form, proof, and bake dough scraps, if desired.) Let rise in ready oven till croissants are very puffed and jiggle barely when pan is wiggled, 2 to three hours. (Temperature inside oven must be 75°F [24°C] to 79°F [26°C]; greater temperatures might trigger butter in croissants to soften.)
- Take away croissants and saucepan of water from oven. Loosely cowl croissants with a sheet of greased plastic wrap. (Don’t safe plastic wrap. You don’t wish to put any weight or strain on proofed dough.) Refrigerate till oven is preheated.
- Place oven rack in middle of oven. Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a small bowl, whisk collectively egg and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Brush croissants with egg wash. (Keep away from making use of or leaving swimming pools of egg wash.)
- Bake, one batch at a time, for 10 minutes, loosely protecting with foil after 6 minutes of baking. Rotate pan, and scale back oven temperature to 375°F (190°C); bake till golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted in middle registers 210°F (98°C), 8 to 10 minutes extra.