Ding Dong cake is sort of a big model of the traditional snack cake! It’s made with wealthy chocolate cake layered with a creamy snow-white filling and a chocolate ganache topping, and it’s more likely to be your new favourite cake! It’s extremely satisfying with out being too candy! Recipe features a how-to video tutorial.
A Childhood Deal with, Reimagined
Permit me to introduce you to the cake that I’ll be utilizing for all birthdays within the foreseeable future (together with my very own): Ding Dong cake! Impressed by the beloved childhood deal with, the cake is completely chocolatey and paired with probably the most luxurious cream filling. It’s enjoyable, the textures are wonderful, and it’s simply so satisfying.
And sure, it has an excellent foolish title, however let’s simply look previous that as a result of this cake really is a star 😉
The three parts of this Ding Dong cake:
- Chocolate cake base that’s gentle, chocolatey, and melts in your mouth. It additionally holds up properly to refrigeration, which is necessary since this cake needs to be refrigerated.
- Silky easy filling made out of quaint ermine frosting. That is not too candy and completely emulates the filling in Ding Dongs! Not like conventional buttercream frosting, ermine frosting truly begins on the stovetop with granulated (not powdered!) sugar. It may be bit difficult to make, so take a look at my troubleshooting part earlier than beginning to keep away from any points.
- Fudgy chocolate ganache frosting which, once more, completely emulates a Ding Dong.
As a result of ermine frosting is usually a bit finicky and the chocolate ganache is usually a little difficult to gauge, I wouldn’t essentially name this Ding Dong cake an “simple” recipe to make. Nevertheless, it’s additionally not a tough recipe both, so I’d say it’s intermediate. Actually although, I believe anybody may make this cake in the event that they observe the directions carefully.
Personally, that is certainly one of my favourite desserts (it’s proper up there with carrot cake!), and I can not wait so that you can attempt it! Let’s dig in!
What You Want
For the Cake
Let’s first go over the important thing components within the cake layers for this Ding Dong cake. Then I’ll spotlight a number of components for the filling and frosting.
- Buttermilk. Buttermilk makes this cake is extremely moist, gentle, and flavorful. When you don’t have the actual stuff available, my simple buttermilk substitute will work–however I extremely suggest getting the actual factor in case you can.
- Sizzling espresso. The reasoning behind including scorching espresso is twofold; first, including a scorching liquid will assist “bloom” the cocoa powder and intensify its taste. Second, including espresso particularly may also up the chocolate taste (with out making the Ding Dong cake truly style like espresso!). When you don’t have any espresso available although, very popular water will work. I hold prompt espresso available particularly for utilizing in my desserts.
- Cocoa powder. It’s necessary that you just use pure cocoa powder since we’re solely utilizing baking soda on this recipe. Dutch course of cocoa may trigger rising points. When you’d prefer to be taught extra about this distinction, learn my submit on pure vs. Dutch course of cocoa.
- Sugar. I like to make use of each granulated and lightweight brown sugar in my chocolate cake; this not solely provides depth of taste, however it additionally makes the cake extremely moist too!
- Egg + egg yolk. Including an additional egg yolk to the batter makes this cake supremely tender and melt-in-your-mouth. When you don’t wish to throw away the egg white, put it aside for meringue cookies or candied pecans.
For the Filling & Topping
- Granulated sugar. Utilizing only one cup of granulated sugar as an alternative of a number of cups of powdered sugar means this ermine frosting is much much less candy than your traditional buttercream frosting. It additionally means the frosting should be cooked on the range to dissolve the sugar–extra on this beneath!
- Flour. This would possibly seem to be an odd ingredient for a frosting, however flour is a traditional ermine frosting ingredient. It thickens the filling base right into a pudding-like consistency, which we are going to let cool after which whip into butter.
- Butter. It’s essential that your butter is softened to room temperature (however not melty) earlier than combining it together with your cooked filling base. If it’s not, your filling may curdle OR prove too runny. I take advantage of unsalted butter.
- Vanilla. I truly desire to make use of clear synthetic vanilla extract for the filling to imitate the brilliant white coloration and synthetic taste of the filling in actual Ding Dongs. Be happy to make use of common vanilla extract although!
- Chocolate. Use semi-sweet chocolate, both from a chopped baking bar, couverture chocolate, or chocolate chips. Personally, I are likely to keep away from making ganache with chocolate chips, however they’ll nonetheless work.
SAM’S TIP: Ensure to whisk your flour properly (or sift it, after measuring) earlier than including the milk; in any other case, you can find yourself with a lumpy filling.
Bear in mind, that is simply an outline of the components I used and why. For the total recipe please scroll all the way down to the underside of the submit!
Learn how to Make Ding Dong Cake
Make the Filling Base
When you’ve ever made my whoopie pies or frosted a pink velvet cake, you’ve doubtless made this old school frosting earlier than. It appears a bit completely different from among the frostings I’ve shared prior to now and is barely extra difficult, however it isn’t tough and is price the additional effort. Earlier than you may whip this into what really resembles a frosting, we begin with a easy roux as the bottom:
- Whisk collectively the flour, salt, and sugar in a saucepan, then steadily pour within the milk whereas nonetheless whisking. Whisk till easy, then place over medium warmth.
- Cook dinner over medium warmth, whisking always, till the combination reaches a thick, pudding-like consistency. Pour the pudding right into a heatproof container, press a bit of wax paper in opposition to the floor, and let cool utterly.
Make the Cake Layers
- Whisk the dry components and sugars collectively in a big bowl.
- Stir within the melted butter and oil till all the pieces is mixed–the combination shall be thick.
- Add the eggs and vanilla, then stir properly till the batter is uniform and properly mixed (scrape the perimeters and backside of the bowl now too!).
- Drizzle within the buttermilk and stir properly to mix.
- Steadily and punctiliously add the recent espresso, then stir till you could have a uniform batter. Scrape the perimeters and backside of the bowl once more as properly.
- Portion the batter into two lined/greased/floured 8″ cake pans and bake till a toothpick inserted within the heart comes out clear or with a number of moist crumbs (preferable!). Let the desserts cool of their pans for Quarter-hour earlier than inverting onto a cooling rack to chill utterly.
Make the Filling
Solely begin this step as soon as your filling base has cooled utterly! Don’t rush this course of, or you’ll find yourself with a greasy, runny filling.
- Beat the butter with an electrical mixer on excessive velocity till it’s gentle and fluffy, then scale back the mixer velocity to medium.
- Add the cooled filling base one heaping spoonful at a time, ready till every addition is absolutely integrated earlier than including the following. Don’t add it too quick or all of sudden or the frosting will curdle.
- Scrape the perimeters and backside of the bowl, then add the vanilla extract. Set the mixer to medium excessive and whip the frosting till easy. Use a spatula to work out any air bubbles.
- Place the filling within the fridge to sit back for 10-20 minutes whilst you put together the ganache. Don’t chill the filling too lengthy, although, or it should grow to be too agency and tough to unfold.
Make the Ganache Frosting
- Microwave the heavy cream and chocolate for 25 seconds, stir properly, then microwave once more.
- Whisk till utterly easy, then put aside till it reaches a spreadable consistency.
- Stage your desserts then place the primary cake layer on a cake plate. I embody a hyperlink to my cake leveler within the “tools” part of the recipe card (it’s very cheap and was a worthwhile buy, I present how I take advantage of it in my “how you can beautify a cake” tutorial!), however if in case you have a gentle hand you should utilize a pointy serrated knife, as an alternative.
- Add the entire filling and easy the highest with an offset spatula or knife. It’s a whole lot of filling and can spill out the perimeters some! Make the filling as degree as you may (some will nonetheless squish out, that is nice!).
- Place the second cake layer on prime and use an offset spatula to easy the perimeters, utilizing any frosting that’s squished out to make a naked-cake layer coating across the outdoors of the cake. Place the cake within the freezer for 10-Quarter-hour.
- Unfold the cooled chocolate ganache over the perimeters and prime of the cake and easy with a spatula. Let the cake sit within the fridge for not less than Quarter-hour for the ganache to set earlier than slicing and serving. Longer is best, the cake will grow to be sturdier the longer it sits within the fridge.
SAM’S TIP: Leveling your desserts is at all times a good suggestion, however it’s particularly necessary with such a gentle frosting/filling because the ermine frosting we’re utilizing for this Ding Dong cake. If the desserts are too domed, they’re more likely to slide off each other!
Troubleshooting: Ermine Frosting
Ermine frosting isn’t a very difficult frosting, however it may be a bit fussy and curdle (however don’t fear, it may be mounted). Listed below are my suggestions for good ermine frosting:
- Have endurance. Don’t attempt to rush the cooking course of for the roux. Equally, don’t rush the cooling course of both…extra on this subsequent.
- Cool the roux. When you combine the roux and the butter whereas the roux continues to be heat, it should create a greasy mess. Let it cool utterly to keep away from this subject.
- Beware the butter. Soften the butter, however don’t let it get so gentle that it’s melty or oily. Whether it is, your frosting shall be far too runny. Then again, if the butter is just too cool, your frosting may break up. Ideally, each the butter and the roux needs to be the identical temperature (close to room temperature).
A very powerful factor you are able to do is to ensure that the butter and roux/base are the identical temperature earlier than combining! In any other case, your frosting shall be vulnerable to curdling.
In case your observe these guidelines and nonetheless run into points, attempt these fixes:
- For frosting that appears too gentle, attempt letting it sit within the fridge for 20-Half-hour.
- For frosting that has curdled, merely hold whipping till it comes collectively. If it appears prefer it’s simply getting worse, place the bowl within the fridge for about 20 minutes, then attempt once more. More often than not, this does the trick!
Steadily Requested Questions
Sure! Due to the gentle nature of ermine frosting, this cake must be refrigerated. I like to recommend storing Ding Dong cake in an hermetic container to forestall it from drying out within the fridge.
I selected ermine frosting for the filling on this Ding Dong cake as a result of it’s not too candy and is similar to the filling in actual Ding Dongs (I shall be trustworthy with you, I received’t be unhappy to be completed typing the title of this recipe!). In order for you, you can use vanilla buttercream, marshmallow frosting, or Swiss meringue buttercream as an alternative, however the two first choices shall be sweeter (and can then lead to a sweeter cake!).
Certain! Fill the cupcake liners ⅔ full and bake for about 17 minutes on 350F (175C). You must get not less than 24 cupcakes. I’d then observe the filling and frosting directions for my boston cream cupcakes, solely utilizing the ermine frosting for the filling and the ganache listed, after all.
Get pleasure from!
Ding Dong Cake
Servings: 12 servings
Stop your display from going darkish
For the filling base
In a medium-sized saucepan, mix sugar, flour, and salt and whisk till properly mixed.
1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar, 5 Tablespoons (40 g) all-purpose flour, ¼ teaspoon salt
Whereas whisking, steadily pour in milk and whisk till combination is easy. Flip stovetop warmth to medium.
1 cup (236 ml) entire milk
Whisk always on medium warmth till combination is thickened to a pudding-like consistency. The whisk ought to depart a path by the combination when it’s prepared.
Take away from warmth and pour right into a heat-proof container. Cowl with a bit of wax paper pressed immediately in opposition to the floor. Put aside and permit to chill utterly to room temperature whilst you put together the cake.
For the cake
Preheat oven to 350F (175C) and put together two 8” spherical cake pans by lining the bottoms with parchment paper and calmly greasing and flouring the perimeters. Put aside.
In a big bowl, whisk collectively flour, sugars, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt (it’s possible you’ll make the batter by hand or use an electrical hand mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment).
1 ¾ cups (205 g) all-purpose flour, 1 cup (200 g) brown sugar, 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar, ¾ cup (75 g) pure cocoa powder, 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda, ¾ teaspoon salt
Add melted butter and oil, stir properly till utterly mixed.
½ cup (113 g) unsalted butter, ½ cup (118 ml) impartial cooking oil
Add eggs, egg yolk, and vanilla extract and stir properly till batter is uniformly mixed. Scrape the perimeters and backside of the bowl to make sure all components are properly combined.
2 massive eggs + 1 egg yolk, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Steadily add buttermilk and stir properly.
1 cup (236 ml) buttermilk
Add scorching espresso (rigorously! Don’t splash and burn your self) and stir till all components are properly mixed. Scrape the perimeters and backside of the bowl once more to make sure all the pieces is properly integrated.
½ cup (118 ml) scorching espresso
Evenly divide batter between ready cake pans and bake on 350F (175C) for 33-35 minutes. A toothpick inserted within the heart ought to come out clear or with a number of moist crumbs.
Permit desserts to chill for Quarter-hour earlier than inverting onto a cooling rack to chill utterly earlier than frosting. You might end making the filling whereas the desserts cool, as long as the filling base has cooled to room temperature.
For the filling
As soon as the filling base has utterly cooled to room temperature (it shouldn’t be heat or chilly), it’s possible you’ll proceed with the filling.
1 filling base
Place the butter in a big mixing bowl and use an electrical mixer or stand mixer with whisk or paddle attachment to beat the butter on high-speed till it’s gentle and fluffy.
1 cup (226 g) unsalted butter
Cut back mixer velocity to medium and steadily add base combination one heaping spoonful at a time. Wait till every spoonful is absolutely integrated and properly mixed earlier than including the following.
As soon as all filling base combination is added, scrape the perimeters and backside of the bowl with a spatula and stir in vanilla extract. Steadily improve mixer velocity to medium-high and whip the frosting till it’s easy and ethereal. Use a spatula to deflate the frosting and work out any air bubbles.
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
Place in fridge for about 10-20 minutes to permit it to grow to be barely agency earlier than assembling. In the meantime, put together the ganache frosting.
For the ganache frosting
Mix chocolate and heavy cream in a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl.
8 oz (226 g) semi-sweet chocolate, 1 cup (236 ml) heavy whipping cream
Microwave on excessive for 35 seconds. Stir properly and microwave for one more 25 seconds. Whisk combination collectively till utterly easy. If not but easy, microwave once more for 25 seconds. Put aside, stirring often, till ganache is spreadable whilst you put together your filling.
Use a cake leveler or sharp serrated knife to degree the cake layers, if wanted.
Place first layer on a cake plate. Unfold the entire filling evenly over the cake layer.
High with subsequent cake layer. Use an icing spatula to make the perimeters easy so no filling is falling out. Place cake within the freezer for 10-Quarter-hour earlier than spreading ganache frosting (notice: if the ganache turns into too agency, you may warmth within the microwave for 5-10 seconds till it’s gentle sufficient to unfold, however it shouldn’t be so gentle that it runs proper off the cake).
Unfold cooled ganache evenly over prime of cake and round sides. Use a spatula to evenly cowl the entire cake.
Place in fridge to let the frosting harden for not less than Quarter-hour. Slice, serve, and revel in!
I like to make use of clear vanilla within the filling as a result of it retains the filling pure white. It additionally lends itself to a barely extra genuine ding-dong taste (which I suppose is synthetic). You possibly can completely substitute traditional, actual vanilla extract as an alternative.
Retailer in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 5 days. The filling is gentle, if left in a heat atmosphere for too lengthy it may begin to soften and the layers may slide.
Serving: 1serving | Energy: 789kcal | Carbohydrates: 83g | Protein: 7g | Fats: 50g | Saturated Fats: 25g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 4g | Monounsaturated Fats: 17g | Trans Fats: 1g | Ldl cholesterol: 116mg | Sodium: 387mg | Potassium: 336mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 61g | Vitamin A: 1116IU | Vitamin C: 0.1mg | Calcium: 110mg | Iron: 3mg
Dietary data relies on third-party calculations and needs to be thought-about an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will range primarily based upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking methodology, portion sizes, and extra.