These purple velvet macarons are made with a mildly cocoa flavored cookie base and cream cheese filling (although ermine works too!). One other enjoyable and distinctive macaron recipe to strive!
Crimson Velvet Cake Macarons
The place fruity pebbles macarons are lovable and enjoyable, my new purple velvet macarons are so fairly and stylish. With that traditional vivid purple shade, clean cream cheese filling, and elective white chocolate drizzle on prime, these candy sandwich cookies are a petite and poppable model of your favourite purple velvet cake!
This recipe is similar to my traditional macarons, however there have been just a few particulars that had been totally different sufficient that I felt they warranted their very own put up (resembling decreasing almond flour/powdered sugar and never macaronage-ing fairly as a lot). In case you are completely new to creating macarons, I like to recommend you learn by way of that put up in its entirety earlier than beginning this one.
Word that whereas I favor ermine frosting for my purple velvet cupcakes and cake, I favor and suggest cream cheese frosting right here; I discovered it offered a extra genuine purple velvet taste. You should use no matter you want, however I do suggest selecting between one in all these for probably the most true purple velvet taste.
What You Want
For those who’ve made macarons earlier than, they could be a little tough. Due to this, it’s crucial that you just comply with my recipe carefully, and that features the elements!
- Almond flour. Tremendous effective, blanched almond flour works greatest for macarons. For those who can’t discover the superfine model, you may make your individual. To do that, pulse your almond flour and powdered sugar within the meals processor in 15 one-second pulses. Stir, then repeat this course of another time earlier than utilizing.
- Cocoa powder. I favor to make use of Dutch course of cocoa on this recipe, however you might use pure cocoa as an alternative. I’ve a complete put up about pure vs. dutch course of cocoa, if you happen to’re occupied with studying the variations between the 2!
- Crimson meals coloring. I extremely suggest utilizing gel meals coloring, because it offers probably the most vibrant shade. Liquid meals coloring isn’t close to as potent, and you’ll find yourself introducing an excessive amount of moisture into the meringue attempting to get your shade excellent (particularly in terms of purple coloring, it may be so exhausting to maintain it from being pink!). I linked to the model I like to make use of within the recipe card under.
- Cream of tartar. Cream of tartar isn’t necessary for making purple velvet macarons, however it’s useful, particularly if you’re a newbie. It helps stabilize the meringue and I take advantage of it in most of my meringue-involved recipes (like my meringue cookies)!
- Egg whites. I strongly suggest that you just NOT use carton egg whites! They produce inconsistent outcomes, and I can’t assure your success if you happen to do use them. As a substitute, separate your individual eggs and be sure you don’t get any egg yolk–not even a drop–in with the whites. Don’t wish to waste your yolks? Use them to make lemon cheesecake or a fruit tart!
SAM’S TIP: Crimson velvet macarons are a lot much less more likely to be hole, which is nice; nonetheless, they are often liable to getting oily/wrinkly tops, particularly if the cocoa powder is extra oily or if you happen to use an excessive amount of meals coloring. Because of this I like to recommend Dutch course of cocoa and gel meals coloring.
For the Filling
The filling I’m utilizing at the moment is only a barely silkier, smoother half batch of my cream cheese frosting. Right here’s what you want to make it!
- Cream cheese. Stick to full-fat, block-style cream cheese right here. Another sort might be too mushy and runny.
- Powdered sugar. Be sure you measure your powdered sugar correctly, as it may be very simple to over-measure, similar to over-measuring flour.
- Vanilla. A splash of vanilla balances the cream cheese taste properly.
- Butter. I take advantage of unsalted butter and salt, however if you happen to solely have salted butter available, you possibly can simply omit the salt.
Keep in mind, that is simply an summary of the elements I used and why. For the total recipe please scroll all the way down to the underside of the put up!
SAM’S TIP: I extremely suggest utilizing a kitchen scale when baking, however particularly when making macarons. It’s crucial that you just use exact measurements to make macarons, and a kitchen scale ensures that!
Tips on how to Make Crimson Velvet Macarons
- Separate your egg whites and place them in a clear, dry, glass measuring cup. Watch out to not get any yolks in with the egg whites!
- Age the egg whites: cowl the measuring cup with plastic wrap, poke just a few holes within the prime, and put aside for twenty-four hours. Much like including cream of tartar, getting older your egg whites is technically elective, however it is going to assist stabilize your meringue.
- Sift the almond flour, sugar, and cocoa powder right into a medium bowl. Discard any lumps.
- Whisk the dry elements collectively, then put aside.
SAM’S TIP: Make sure that your entire bowls and utensils are fully clear, dry, and grease free! If not, you might not be capable to get your egg whites to succeed in stiff peaks, which is essential for correct purple velvet macarons. I additionally suggest that you just keep away from any rubber, plastic, or silicone instruments because of this (they will disguise grease fairly simply).
- Beat the aged egg whites in a clear, dry, grease-free bowl till foamy, about 30 seconds. Add the cream of tartar, then beat once more for one more 30 seconds.
- Add the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, beating for 30 seconds after every addition earlier than including the following.
- Stir within the vanilla, salt, and meals coloring till included.
- Whip the meringue to stiff peaks; when you’re accomplished, it’s best to have a thick, fluffy combination that holds its form when lifted out of the bowl.
- Fold the dry elements into the egg whites in three components.
- Macaronage: Hold folding, scraping, and smooshing the batter in opposition to the aspect of the bowl to deflate it. Do that till the batter falls off your spatula in a clean ribbon.
- Determine-8 check: Attempt to make a figure-8 with the batter dripping off your spatula. For those who can simply barely make one earlier than the batter breaks, you might be able to pipe! If not, preserve smooshing, scraping, and folding.
- Pipe the batter straight down onto parchment lined baking sheets, finishing every macaron in a “C” movement with a flick of your wrist.
- Bang your pans in your counter just a few instances to launch air bubbles, then let the macarons relaxation till they type a pores and skin (this takes about 35 minutes for me).
- Bake at 325F (160C) one tray at a time for 10-11 minutes, turning the pan midway by way of. Let the shells cool fully earlier than filling.
- Stir collectively the softened cream cheese, butter, and vanilla till clean, then step by step add the powdered sugar.
- Pipe the frosting onto one macaron shell, then prime with one other. Repeat with the remaining shells and frosting, then place within the fridge in an hermetic container to mature for twenty-four hours.
SAM’S TIP: After piping the filling, I like to recommend inserting your purple velvet macarons in an hermetic container within the fridge for twenty-four hours earlier than having fun with. This offers the macarons time to mature, leading to a greater taste and texture general (in case your shells ended up hole, they’ll often fill in throughout this time, too). However I can’t blame you for eager to strive them immediately both 😉
Steadily Requested Questions
So as to add a white drizzle to your purple velvet macarons, merely soften a handful (about 2 oz is all you’ll want) of white chocolate (you possibly can comply with this information on the best way to soften chocolate within the microwave), then pour right into a plastic piping bag. Let the chocolate cool barely, then snip a really small gap within the pointy finish of the bag. Drizzle the chocolate over the macarons; I love to do a criss cross sample.
These macarons must be refrigerated in an hermetic container. They may final for as much as two weeks when saved this manner. Personally, I don’t like them straight from the fridge, so I let mine sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes earlier than serving.
No! Ermine frosting is one other traditional selection, and that may work effectively right here. I like to make use of my white chocolate buttercream for my different macaron recipes, and whereas that can work right here too, it received’t present a traditional purple velvet cake taste.
These purple velvet macarons can be so fairly on a Christmas cookie tray!
Take pleasure in!
Crimson Velvet Macarons
These purple velvet macarons are made with a mildly cocoa flavored cookie base and stuffed with cream cheese frosting (although ermine works too!). One other enjoyable and distinctive macaron recipe to strive!
Servings: 25 macaron sandwiches
Cream cheese frosting filling
Stop your display screen from going darkish
Earlier than starting: In case you are a newbie, first learn by way of the put up and watch my video on the best way to make chocolate macarons. ALL gear should be fully clear, dry, and grease-free. Keep away from rubber, silicone, and plastic supplies when whipping egg whites.
Line a number of cookie sheets with parchment paper or clear, dry, silicone mats and put aside.
In a medium-sized bowl, sift collectively almond flour, powdered sugar, and cocoa powder. Put aside.
150 grams almond flour, 145 grams powdered sugar, 5 grams ( ) Dutch-process cocoa powder
Add egg whites to a separate, giant mixing bowl and use an electrical mixer to beat on medium-speed till foamy (30 seconds).
110 grams aged egg whites
Add cream of tartar and stir once more on medium pace (one other 30 seconds).
⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
Add about 1 Tablespoon of granulated sugar and beat for about 30 seconds earlier than including the following Tablespoon. Repeat, stirring for about 30 seconds between additions, till all sugar has been added.
95 grams granulated sugar
As soon as all sugar has been added, add vanilla extract, salt, and purple meals coloring (I usually want a few teaspoon to get a vivid purple shade). Proceed to beat on medium/medium-high pace till combination reaches thick, fluffy, stiff peaks. This implies if you happen to raise the beaters from the bowl, the height that varieties will maintain its form and never fold over or shrink again in on itself.
⅛ teaspoon desk salt, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, Crimson meals coloring
Add roughly a 3rd of the cocoa powder combination to the meringue and use a spatula to fold till mixed. Repeat with the following third of the combination, then the remaining dry combination.
Proceed to fold the batter, transferring your spatula in sweeping motions, scraping down the perimeters and backside of the bowl and reducing by way of the center of the batter and turning your bowl as you go. Use your spatula to smoosh the combination in opposition to the aspect of the bowl periodically to assist deflate it. Proceed to fold till the batter flows easily and falls from the spatula in a clean ribbon. You must be capable to JUST BARELY make a figure-8 with the batter earlier than the meringue breaks.
Switch macaron batter into a big pastry bag fitted with a spherical tip (I take advantage of the Ateco 804).
Holding the piping bag straight up and down, pipe batter onto ready baking sheets. Flick your wrist in a “C” movement on the finish of piping to finish the macaron (and to not go away it with peaks). House macarons at the least 1 ½” aside.
Bang every pan very firmly in your countertop a number of instances to launch any air bubbles. Preheat your oven to 325F (160C).
Permit macarons to relaxation till a pores and skin varieties on the floor (if you happen to run the pad of your finger calmly excessive it ought to really feel dry and never sticky or cheesy). This usually takes about 35 minutes in my kitchen, however might range in your individual.
Bake one tray at a time within the heart rack of your oven for 10-11 minutes, turning the pan midway by way of the baking time. As soon as completed baking, the toes ought to seem dry and if you happen to very gently press on the highest of a macaron it shouldn’t give.
Permit macaron shells to chill fully earlier than filling with cream cheese filling.
Cream cheese frosting filling
Mix softened cream cheese and butter, vanilla, and salt in a medium-sized mixing bowl and stir till clean and creamy.
4 oz cream cheese, ¼ cup 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (57g), ½ teaspoon vanilla extract, ⅛ teaspoon desk salt
Regularly add powdered sugar till it has all been included and frosting is clean.
1 ¾ cups powdered sugar
Pipe frosting onto the underside of 1 macaron shell, sandwich with one other. For greatest outcomes enable macarons to mature for twenty-four hours in an hermetic container within the fridge earlier than having fun with. If desired, drizzle melted white chocolate over shells earlier than refrigerating.
Aged egg whites
Ageing egg whites is beneficial (extra element on this within the put up). To do that, measure egg whites right into a clear, dry measuring cup, cowl with plastic wrap and poke a number of holes within the floor. Permit egg whites to sit down at the least 24 hours within the fridge earlier than bringing to room temperature and continuing with the recipe. Ageing isn’t necessary, however it may be useful if you happen to’ve struggled along with your meringue previously or if you’re new to macarons.
I favor Dutch course of for this recipe however pure cocoa powder could also be substituted.
After assembling, retailer purple velvet macarons in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as two weeks. Take away from fridge 15-20 minutes earlier than having fun with.
Macarons may additionally be frozen in an hermetic container for a number of months. See my authentic macaron put up for extra particulars on storing/making upfront.
Serving: 1macaron sandwich | Energy: 139kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 2g | Fats: 6g | Saturated Fats: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 0.1g | Monounsaturated Fats: 1g | Trans Fats: 0.1g | Ldl cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 45mg | Potassium: 20mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 118IU | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 0.3mg
Dietary info relies on third-party calculations and must be thought-about an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will range based mostly upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking methodology, portion sizes, and extra.