This can be a nostalgic recipe for me. My Nan’s sherry trifle.
We’re speaking jam swiss roll and recent raspberries in jelly, topped with extra swiss roll (soaked in sherry this time) and good previous Hen’s custard. All completed with a pillowy layer of sweetened whipped cream and rainbow sprinkles!
- Nope – I do not use women finger sponges in my trifle
- Nope – I do not make the custard from scratch
- Nope – I do not high with posh cherries or gourmand chocolate curls – it is sprinkles all the best way. Though a crushed up Cadbury flake can be allowed.
To be honest, I do love a complicated trifle made with all of these goodies above. There are such a lot of variations and adaptions on the market, and I am keen to present them ALL a go.
Besides possibly that one Rachel from Pals made with minced beef and bananas? That is a tough no.
However in the present day I used to be feeling nostalgic for my Nan’s sherry trifle. The way in which she used to make it once we went spherical for an enormous buffet household dinner.
My grandad was all the time the prepare dinner within the household, however trifle was 100% my nan’s area.
I feel she could have gone a little heavier on the sherry then I do (i.e in all probability double) however this recipe took my proper again there.
📋 What do we want for this basic trifle?
- Jam Swiss rolls – those that ONLY have jam in, not those with cream in too.
- Raspberries – recent or frozen.
- Jelly cubes – you possibly can use the powdered jelly sachets, I feel the non-sugar-free jelly cubes style higher although.
- Sherry – you may go away this out in case you do not wish to use alcohol.
- Custard powder, together with milk and sugar to make up the custard. Sure, you need to use ready-made custard (and even make your personal from scratch), however Hen’s custard powder was the best way my nan made it. I take advantage of rather less milk than the Hen’s recipe suggests, so it is slightly extra agency, to carry the trifle collectively higher (no, i am not affiliated with Hen’s custard, by the best way).
- Whipping cream, together with confectioners’s sugar and vanilla extract so as to add further sweetness to the cream.
- Sprinkles – obligatory for all 80’s throw-back trifles.
I really like the layering of a very good trifle. I feel the swiss rolls lined across the trifle dish look so fairly once they’re suspended in that pretty jelly!
👩🍳PRO TIP You should definitely give your self sufficient time for the jelly to set. It would take at the very least 4 hours. I choose to let the jelly set in a single day, then keep it up with the remainder of the trifle the subsequent day.
🍽️ What to serve it with
For me, trifles are both a dessert served on the finish of an enormous Sunday roast, or an excellent addition to any buffet – particularly a Christmas trifle! Listed below are another recipes that seem on my buffet desk.
Do you may have any favorite nostalgic desserts?
Now I’ve had this trifle once more, I am dreaming of blancmange, syrup sponge and rice pudding. Not forgetting these shop-bought classics – viennetta, arctic roll and Angel Delight (butterscotch flavour was one of the best!).
🍲 Extra improbable Desserts
Keep up to date with new recipes!
Subscribe to the e-newsletter to listen to after I submit a brand new recipe. I’m additionally on YouTube (new movies each week) and Instagram (behind-the-scenes tales & lovely meals pictures).
Nan’s correct sherry trifle
Layers of jam swiss roll and raspberries in jelly, sherry-soaked swiss roll, custard, whipped cream and rainbow sprinkles!
Slice up 2 of the swiss rolls into 1cm thick slices. Use it to line the facet of a 3.5 litre trifle dish – only one layer. If in case you have any left over, put to at least one facet and canopy for now. We’ll use it later.
3 x 190g (3 x 6.7oz) jam swiss rolls
Add the raspberries to the centre of the trifle dish.
200 g (7 oz) recent raspberries
Slice up the jelly cubes and place in a bowl or jug. Add 400ml of boiling water and stir collectively till the jelly cubes have dissolved.
2 x 135g (2 x 4.8oz) packs of raspberry jelly cubes
Add 500ml of chilly water and stir collectively.
Pour this jelly combination into the trifle dish, over the raspberries and swiss roll.
Place the fridge to set for at the very least 4 hours (as much as 2 days)
As soon as the jelly has set, take it out of the fridge.
Chop the remaining swiss rolls into chunky items – approx. 1-1.5cm cubed. Place in a bowl and drizzle over the sherry – attempt to make sure slightly little bit of sherry will get onto every bit.
3 tbsp sherry
Prepare the sponge items excessive of the jelly and place again within the fridge whilst you make the custard.
Place the custard powder, sugar and 4 tbsp of the milk right into a saucepan. Stir collectively to type a paste.
70 g (7 stage tbsp) custard powder, 70 g (5.5 stage tbsp) caster sugar, 1 litre (1.75 pints) full-fat milk
Now slowly pour within the remaining milk, whereas stirring, till totally blended collectively.
Put the warmth on below the pan and warmth over a medium warmth, stirring always with a whisk or wood spoon, till the custard thickens (remember to hold stirring, in any other case the custard can catch and burn on the backside of the pan). It would thicken fairly shortly simply because it’s beginning to strategy boiling level.
As quickly because it thickens, flip off the warmth.
Go away to chill to room temperature – about 20-Half-hour. If you wish to forestall any pores and skin forming, place a chunk of clingfilm on high (touching all uncovered components of the custard) when cooling.
Take away the clingfilm and provides the custard a stir. Take the trifle out of the fridge and pour/spoon the custard excessive, to fully cowl the sponge items in custard.
Place again within the fridge for 1 hour to sit back the custard (once more, cowl with clingfilm in case you want to forestall a pores and skin forming. That is non-compulsory).
Add the whipping cream to a big bowl or stand mixer. Whisk utilizing a hand whisk or the whisk attachment in your stand mixer till you get to the delicate peaks stage (the creamy ought to look delicate, thick and pillowy, and can simply keep on a spoon in case you flip a spoonful of it upside-down.
600 ml (2.5 cups) whipping cream
Add the vanilla extract after which sift over the icing sugar. Whisk once more for a couple of seconds to mix the vanilla and icing sugar into the cream.
1 tsp vanilla extract, 30 g (4.5 stage tbsp) icing sugar
Spoon the cream excessive of the trifle in huge dollops.
Sprinkle over the rainbow sprinkles, then serve.
1 tbsp rainbow sprinkles
Alternatively, cowl with clingfilm and refrigerate till able to eat (it ought to hold for two days). If you happen to’re refrigerating it for greater than a few hours, I would depart the sprinkles off till you’re nearly to serve – as the color from the sprinkles will ‘bleed’ into the cream if left for too lengthy.
There are numerous British-isms on this recipe, so I will attempt to decipher for these of you within the US. If you happen to assume i’ve acquired one thing unsuitable, please let me know within the feedback.
- Jam Swiss Rolls – identical as jelly roll cake – it ought to simply be a skinny sponge rolled up with jelly (we name is jam within the UK), no cream or something extra in there.
- Jelly – identical as your Jell-O. I am utilizing cubes on this recipe.
- Caster Sugar – identical as your superfine sugar
- Icing/Confectioners’ sugar – identical as your powdered sugar
I take advantage of this 3.5 litre trifle dish (<– affiliate hyperlink).
If you happen to’re within the US, this hyperlink ought to take you to an identical one to the one I take advantage of, it is slightly smaller, at 3 liters, however will nonetheless work high-quality.
My trifle dish is top 18cm, high diameter 23cm.
- Swap raspberries for strawberries (you can even swap the raspberry flavoured jam swiss roll and jelly for strawberry flavoured)
- Swap the swiss roll to your favorite sponge. A plain or jam sponge works greatest (versus chocolate/cream fillings)
- Swap the sprinkles for a topping of your selection – kirsch cherries, recent berries, flaked almonds, grated chocolate – all make nice toppings
- Swap the sherry for an additional spirit/liqueur – cherry brandy, amaretto, spiced rum and calvados are nice choices
Sizing down this recipe
You possibly can halve and even quarter this recipe to serve 4-6 individuals – sticking to the identical ingredient ratios.
You will have a smaller dish (1 litre for 4 individuals, 1.5-2 litre for six individuals).
Alternatively, you may make in small particular person dishes. If you happen to’re doing this, you will not be capable of line the sting of the dish all the best way round with jam sponge – as it is going to take up an excessive amount of house. You possibly can easy add chunks of jam sponge in with the raspberries and canopy with jelly.
This trifle ought to hold properly, lined, within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
Dietary info is approximate, per serving, primarily based on this recipe serving 12 individuals.
Energy: 496kcalCarbohydrates: 66gProtein: 9gFats: 23gSaturated Fats: 14gPolyunsaturated Fats: 1gMonounsaturated Fats: 6gLdl cholesterol: 131mgSodium: 437mgPotassium: 285mgFiber: 1gSugar: 47gVitamin A: 970IUVitamin C: 5mgCalcium: 191mgIron: 2mg
A few of the hyperlinks on this submit could also be affiliate hyperlinks – which suggests in case you purchase the product I get a small fee (at no further value to you). If you happen to do purchase, then thanks! That’s what helps us to maintain Kitchen Sanctuary operating. The dietary info supplied is approximate and may differ relying on a number of components. For extra info please see our Phrases & Situations.