Take pleasure in additional moist chocolate lined strawberry cupcakes with a candy strawberry buttercream shock within the middle. End these completely wealthy cupcakes with fudge-like chocolate ganache and also you’ll win the best way to anybody’s coronary heart! 😉
Initially revealed in 2018, pictures up to date in 2023.
If you happen to adore chocolate lined strawberries—biting into wealthy darkish chocolate with a juicy strawberry inside—this cupcake recipe is for you. We’re taking essentially the most chocolatey chocolate cupcake and topping it with comfortable, fudge-like chocolate ganache. And hidden inside is the candy shock of fluffy strawberry buttercream. These are identical to my top-rated cream-filled chocolate cupcakes, however with a strawberry twist. SO GOOD!
Make the buttercream filling with freeze-dried strawberries, the identical manner we make the frosting for my home made strawberry cake. (And truly these festive Valentine’s Day cupcakes too!) That is the easiest way to get REAL strawberry taste… no synthetic taste right here!
Why You’ll Love These Chocolate Lined Strawberry Cupcakes
- Further comfortable & moist chocolate cupcakes, not dense or dry in any respect
- Excessive chocolate taste; sizzling liquid “blooms” the cocoa
- Candy, fluffy strawberry cream within the middle, made with freeze-dried strawberries
- Wealthy, fudge-like chocolate topping is simply 2 elements: chocolate and cream
- No piping ideas or particular adorning expertise wanted for these pure beauties
And in case you love these flavors for breakfast, be sure you attempt these chocolate lined strawberry muffins!
3 Components to This Recipe
Even for a embellished cupcake, the method continues to be fairly simple: Make the cupcakes, make the ganache, make the filling. Carve slightly gap within the middle of the cooled cupcakes, fill with buttercream, and unfold cooled ganache on prime.
- Chocolate Cupcakes: My group and I like these home made cupcakes as a result of they’re exceptionally moist with a great deal of chocolate taste. They’re principally the cupcake model of this ever-popular chocolate cake. I’ve one other recipe for plain chocolate cupcakes on my web site, however right now’s model holds up higher with a filling inside. (And tastes extra chocolatey!)
- Chocolate Ganache Topping: Simply 2 elements right here: chocolate and heavy cream/heavy whipping cream/double cream. The chocolate ganache takes a little bit of time, however most of it’s hands-off as you let the ganache cool. I instruct you to make it earlier than the filling, to present it time to thicken up.
- Strawberry Buttercream Filling: Freeze-dried strawberries are the key to essentially the most scrumptious strawberry buttercream. You possibly can sometimes discover them within the dried fruit part of most grocery shops, or on-line. If you happen to can’t discover them, use the whipped cream from these strawberry shortcake cupcakes and even this raspberry cake filling as a substitute.
Make the Chocolate Cupcakes First
You don’t even want a mixer for this step, simply seize a sturdy whisk. You’ll merely whisk collectively the dry elements, whisk collectively the moist elements, then pour moist into dry and add the recent espresso (or water).
Spoon/pour the batter right into a muffin pan lined with cupcake liners—you need to have sufficient batter to make 15 cupcakes, so you’ll both want 2 muffin pans or you may bake them in 2 batches. Fill the liners about 2/3 full. If you happen to use the batter to make fewer than 15 cupcakes, you might be overfilling the lined cups and your cupcakes will spill over the edges. You need them to bake up good and flat on prime.
Non-compulsory step: When the cupcakes are fully—or practically fully—cool, place them within the fridge for 20–half-hour to make them a bit simpler to carve into and fill.
And now… is there any topping extra wealthy and indulgent-tasting than chocolate ganache?
Make the Chocolate Ganache
Despite the fact that it’s the topping, I like to recommend making the chocolate ganache earlier than you make the filling and whereas the cupcakes cool. It’s because the ganache additionally wants to chill and thicken. You want simply 2 elements to make chocolate ganache:
- Pure Chocolate: Ensure you use actual, high quality chocolate. I sometimes use the 4-ounce baking bars discovered within the grocery retailer baking aisle, labeled semi-sweet or bittersweet (like Ghirardelli or Baker’s manufacturers). You should use high quality chocolate chips as a substitute, however the ganache gained’t be as clean, as chocolate chips have stabilizers in them. You want 6 ounces, which is 1.5 bars (170g).
- Heavy Cream: This can be referred to as by one other title the place you might be, like heavy whipping cream or double cream. Simply make certain it has a minimal of 36% fats content material, in any other case it gained’t arrange as nicely. Normally you need to use 6 ounces of cream per 6 ounces of chocolate, however I not too long ago decreased it right down to 2/3 cup (simply over 5 ounces), so the ganache is slightly thicker.
By the best way, in case you’re making these chocolate lined strawberry cupcakes for a grownup Valentine’s Day dessert, be at liberty to kick issues up a notch by utilizing crimson wine chocolate ganache because the topping as a substitute; or attempt the chocolate raspberry ganache on this chocolate raspberry cake.
Warmth the cream, pour over chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl, let sit for a couple of minutes to melt the chocolate, after which slowly stir till the chocolate has all melted. The combination gained’t appear to mix at first (left picture beneath), however maintain stirring.
Let it cool and thicken for about half-hour within the fridge:
Make the Strawberry Buttercream Filling
That is principally my strawberry buttercream frosting recipe, however scaled right down to make the correct quantity to fill these chocolate lined strawberry cupcakes.
Begin by grinding the freeze-dried strawberries right into a powder, both in a meals processor or blender:
Tip: Don’t use “dried strawberries” which have a chewy/gummy texture like raisins or dried apricots. They gained’t grind right into a powder. You want freeze-dried strawberries, which have the entire moisture eliminated. They’re the identical strawberries you could make these strawberry and cream cookies.
You additionally want room-temperature butter, sifted confectioners’ sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla. Style and add a pinch of salt if it’s too candy. Now you’re able to…
Fill & Assemble the Chocolate Lined Strawberry Cupcakes
We’ll use the identical filling technique as these cream-filled chocolate cupcakes. With a pointy knife, reduce a circle within the cupcake, and take away the middle, which shall be roughly the form of a cone. Utilizing a small spoon (or you possibly can pipe it), fill the center of the cupcake with as a lot strawberry buttercream as you may match. (Normally between 1–2 teaspoons.) Slice/tear off the pointed tip of the cone-shaped piece of cupcake, and gently press the spherical piece again on prime of the filling.
This will get slightly messy as a result of the cupcakes are oh-so-soft and moist. That’s advantageous, you’re overlaying up the mess with ganache. Unfold it on prime:
For a of entirety, I like to prime these cupcakes with a strawberry coronary heart. Watch this video for easy methods to reduce strawberries into hearts. I rounded off the highest of the guts and reduce every into skinny slices to prime the cupcakes. A easy however elegant garnish! You would additionally prime the ganache with sprinkles earlier than it units, or add a chocolate-dipped strawberry.
And in case you have any leftover strawberry buttercream, you may spoon it right into a piping bag fitted with a small spherical piping tip (like Wilton #6) and pipe a coronary heart or letter on prime.
Extra Valentine’s Day Treats
Remember to try my record of Valentine’s Day Dessert Recipes, which incorporates favorites reminiscent of:
These are deliciously indulgent and fudgy chocolate cupcakes stuffed with strawberry buttercream and topped with chocolate ganache.
Chocolate Ganache Topping
Strawberry Buttercream Filling
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners. This recipe yields about 15 cupcakes, so line a second muffin pan with 3 cupcake liners or bake in batches.
- Make the cupcakes: Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt collectively in a big bowl. Put aside. Whisk the oil, sugar, egg, vanilla, and buttermilk collectively till mixed. Pour the moist elements into the dry elements, add the recent espresso/water, and whisk till the batter is totally mixed. Batter is skinny.
- Pour/spoon the batter into the liners, filling solely 2/3 full to keep away from spilling over the edges. You must have sufficient batter for 15 cupcakes. Bake for 20–22 minutes, or till a toothpick inserted within the middle comes out clear.
- Permit cupcakes to chill within the pan for 10 minutes, after which switch to a wire rack to chill fully. Cupcakes have to be fully cooled—and even chilled for 20–half-hour within the fridge in the event that they’re significantly sticky on prime—earlier than assembling.
- Make the chocolate ganache: Place finely chopped chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl. Warmth the cream in a small saucepan over medium warmth till it begins to softly simmer. (Don’t let it come to a speedy boil—that’s too sizzling!) Pour over chocolate, then let it sit for two–3 minutes to softly soften the chocolate. With a metallic spoon or small rubber spatula, very slowly stir till chocolate has melted and combination is clean. Ganache is skinny. The finer you chopped the chocolate, the faster it’ll soften with the cream. If it’s not melting, don’t microwave it. If wanted, see Troubleshooting Chocolate Ganache. As soon as ganache combination is clean, switch it to the fridge and let it chill for at the least half-hour to thicken earlier than spreading on cooled and stuffed cupcakes.
- Make the strawberry buttercream filling: Because the ganache cools and thickens, make the filling. Utilizing a blender or meals processor, course of the freeze-dried strawberries right into a powdery crumb. You must have round 1/4 cup. Put aside. In a big bowl utilizing a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle or whisk attachment, beat the butter on medium-high velocity till creamy, about 2 minutes. Add sifted confectioners’ sugar, strawberry powder, heavy cream, and vanilla. Beat on low velocity for 30 seconds, then swap to excessive velocity and beat for two minutes. Style. Add a pinch of salt if frosting is just too candy. Put aside.
- Fill the cupcakes: Utilizing a pointy knife, reduce a circle into the middle of the cooled cupcakes to create slightly pocket about 1 inch deep. The piece you eliminated shall be form of cone-shaped. Spoon or pipe strawberry buttercream inside every carved-out cupcake—use nonetheless a lot frosting will match. (I take advantage of both a teaspoon measuring spoon or Wilton piping tip #12 to fill cupcakes. Normally you may match between 1–2 teaspoons of frosting in every.) Slice/tear off the sharp finish of the “cone” piece of cupcake you eliminated, and gently press the spherical piece again on prime of the filling.
- High with ganache: With a knife or small icing spatula, unfold the thickened chocolate ganache on prime of every cupcake. Unfold on a thick layer, so it units as a thick fudge-like topping. Garnish with contemporary strawberry slices or sprinkles, if desired.
- Serve instantly or retailer lined at room temperature or within the fridge for as much as 1 day earlier than serving. Cowl and retailer leftover cupcakes within the fridge for as much as 5 days. I like to recommend a cupcake service for storing and transporting embellished cupcakes.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: Bake the cupcakes 1 day prematurely. Preserve cupcakes lined tightly at room temperature and fill/frost the day of serving. Strawberry buttercream and chocolate ganache could be ready the day earlier than too. Cowl every and refrigerate in a single day. After refrigerating, the buttercream shall be stiff. Beating in a splash of heavy cream or milk will assist skinny the frosting out once more, if wanted. The ganache shall be good and thick. If wanted to skinny out, spoon ganache into heatproof bowl and place over a pot of simmering water. Stir always till thinned out. Unfrosted, unfilled cupcakes could be frozen as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge and produce to room temperature earlier than assembling and serving.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Glass Mixing Bowls | Small Icing Spatula | Cupcake Liners | Cupcake Pan | Meals Processor | Electrical Mixer (Handheld or Stand Mixer) | Freeze Dried Strawberries | Sifter/Sieve | Piping Bag (Disposable or Reusable) | #12 Spherical Piping Tip | Cupcake Service
- Strawberry Buttercream: See the separate put up on easy methods to make the strawberry buttercream. You possibly can learn all the small print concerning the frosting in that weblog put up. The freeze-dried strawberries are the key; don’t use contemporary or frozen. The place to purchase freeze-dried strawberries? I all the time discover them in my common grocery retailer within the dried fruit aisle. If you happen to can’t discover freeze-dried strawberries on the retailer, you may buy them on-line or attempt strawberry whipped cream as a substitute.
- Cupcakes Sinking: The cupcakes might seem like they’re sinking within the middle whereas they’re baking, however they need to pop again up by the point baking is completed. It doesn’t matter all that a lot in the event that they sink a bit within the middle, although, as a result of we’re chopping out the middles and filling them with cream.
- Buttermilk vs. Bitter Cream: I examined these cupcakes each methods. Made with buttermilk, they’ve the perfect taste, however could be a little comfortable and sticky, so barely harder to chop and fill (I like to recommend a fast chill within the fridge earlier than chopping and filling, to make them a bit simpler to work with). Made with bitter cream, they’ve a sturdier crumb, however the chocolate taste isn’t as robust. You can too attempt utilizing half of every, in case you occur to have each!
- Buttermilk: Buttermilk is required for this recipe. You may make your individual DIY model of buttermilk if wanted. Add 1 teaspoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to a liquid measuring cup. Then add sufficient entire milk to the identical measuring cup till it reaches 1/2 cup. (In a pinch, decrease fats or nondairy milks work for this soured milk, however the cupcakes gained’t style as moist or wealthy.) Stir it round and let sit for five minutes. The home made “buttermilk” shall be considerably curdled and able to use within the recipe.
- Scorching Espresso or Scorching Water: Scorching liquid enhances the cocoa powder’s taste. It additionally encourages it to bloom and dissolve appropriately. I promise these cupcakes don’t style like espresso in any respect! If you happen to don’t drink espresso, you should use sizzling water. For deeper and richer taste, although, use espresso (common or decaf, however make certain it’s black with no sugar or cream). You possibly can both brew it in a espresso maker or make prompt espresso.
- Chocolate for Ganache: Actual, high quality chocolate is good for ganache to set correctly. I take advantage of the 4-ounce baking bars discovered within the grocery retailer baking aisle, reminiscent of Ghirardelli or Baker’s manufacturers. You’ll want 1.5 of the 4-ounce bars to yield 6 ounces. If you happen to can’t discover these, you should use 170g (about 1 cup) of high-quality semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Can I Make This Right into a Cake? Completely. Use my chocolate cake recipe for two cake layers, unfold the strawberry buttercream on one cooled cake, prime with 2nd cake, and prime complete cake with ganache.
- High with Strawberry Coronary heart Slices! Tremendous easy. Watch this video for easy methods to reduce strawberries into hearts. I rounded off the highest of the guts and reduce every into skinny slices to prime the cupcakes.
- Extra Success Ideas: Remember to try my 10 Ideas for Baking the BEST Cupcakes.
Key phrases: Chocolate Lined Strawberry Cupcakes