If you happen to love buckeye sweet, then it’s essential to attempt my buckeye cookies! Identical to the sweet, these chewy chocolate cookies are made with a creamy peanut butter filling and wealthy chocolate coating. Recipe features a how-to video!
Peanut Butter Buckeye Cookies
These buckeye cookies are the candy and chewy embodiment of traditional buckeye sweet! Much like my buckeye brownies, these cookies characteristic a wealthy, chocolatey, (however not too candy) cookie topped off with a thick layer of peanut butter filling and decadent chocolate ganache. The ganache layer is further thick too; it’s the identical topping you’ll discover on my MIllionaire’s shortbread.
You may make these into HUGE gourmand cookies (nice in the event you personal a bakery or promote cookies) or make them into smaller, regular sized cookies. Those photographed listed below are the massive model, however I usually stick to the standard-size since they’re so indulgent. Directions and measurements for each are included under, so take your choose!
What You Want
There are fairly just a few substances on this recipe, however don’t let that intimidate you! I promise these buckeye cookies are simple sufficient for newbie bakers.
- Butter. No, your eyes usually are not fooling you–there are three sticks of butter within the picture above! Two might be melted and mixed with our cocoa powder within the cookies, and the remaining stick might be used for the filling. Who mentioned these buckeye cookies had been imagined to be wholesome? Not me!
- Cocoa powder. I like to recommend utilizing pure cocoa powder right here. Dutch course of cocoa works with too, however the chocolate taste is stronger and extra intense in a manner that really doesn’t play as properly as I’d like with the peanut butter filling.
- Peanut butter. Use a creamy peanut butter to imitate the sleek, creamy filling in buckeyes. I haven’t examined this recipe with pure peanut butter, so I can’t say for positive how that will work right here.
- Brown sugar. Utilizing some brown sugar alongside common granulated sugar makes for flavorful and chewy buckeye cookies. Stick to gentle brown sugar right here; darkish brown will make issues a bit too candy and wealthy.
- Heavy cream. We’ll warmth this up on the range earlier than pouring it over our semisweet chocolate chips or couverture chocolate to create chocolate ganache. Double cream or whipping cream will work too.
SAM’S TIP: I do know chilling cookie dough can take a look at your endurance, but it surely’s a obligatory evil right here. Chilling helps make the buckeye cookies thicker so we’ve a pleasant thick/sturdy base for all of the heavy toppings we’re including. Don’t skip it!
Bear in mind, that is simply an outline of the substances I used and why. For the complete recipe please scroll all the way down to the underside of the submit!
The way to Make Buckeye Cookies
Prep the Cookie Dough
- Stir collectively the nice and cozy melted butter and cocoa powder till mixed.
- Add the sugars, eggs, and vanilla and stir nicely.
- Mix the dry substances in a separate bowl.
- Progressively add the dry substances to the moist substances till the dough is cohesive. Cowl the bowl with plastic wrap and place within the fridge to relax for half-hour.
- Roll the chilled dough between your palms utilizing both ¼ cup sized (large cookies) or 2 tablespoon sized (regular cookies) scoops. Place 2″ aside on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350F for both 10-12 minutes (large cookies) or 9-10 minutes (regular cookies). Flatten the tops of the cookies with the underside of a consuming glass inside 1 minute of eradicating from the oven. Let cool for five minutes earlier than eradicating to a cooling rack.
Make the Peanut Butter Layer
- Beat the butter and peanut butter along with an electrical mixer till clean and creamy, then stir within the vanilla and salt.
- Progressively add the powdered sugar till the combination is cohesive. It is going to be stiff.
- Scoop the filling in both 2 ½ tablespoon parts (large cookies) or 1 ½ tablespoon parts (regular cookies) and roll right into a clean ball.
- Flatten the balls into discs and press on high of the cooled cookies.
- Warmth the cream till steaming, then pour over the chocolate. Cowl with foil and let sit for five minutes earlier than stirring collectively.
- Drizzle the chocolate over the cookies and let it set till agency earlier than having fun with. You’ll be able to place the cookies within the fridge to hurry this up!
SAM’S TIP: Let the nice and cozy cream and chocolate sit collectively below the foil for a couple of minutes earlier than whisking to mix. If the chocolate nonetheless isn’t melting after this, you may microwave the combination in 10-second increments till melted, stirring in between. Don’t overheat your chocolate, or you might make it seize.
Continuously Requested Questions
Nope! These cookies might be tremendous at room temperature. Simply be certain that to retailer them in an hermetic container and revel in inside 5 days of creating. Buckeye cookies additionally freeze nicely–comply with the directions within the recipe notes under in the event you’d like to do that.
My buckeye cookies are modeled after peanut butter buckeyes, a chocolate coated peanut butter sweet. Buckeye sweet will get its identify from the Ohio state tree, which grows toxic nuts that resemble the eyes of a deer (or a buck!), therefore the identify.
Sure! You may make the cookies themselves and the peanut butter layer prematurely. Retailer each in an hermetic container as much as 3 days prematurely. You’ll must stir the peanut butter filling and ensure it’s clean earlier than utilizing, if it’s too thick simply stir in a splash of milk or cream. Don’t make the ganache topping prematurely.
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video under! If you happen to do that recipe, be sure you tag me on Instagram, and it’s also possible to discover me on YouTube and Fb
Servings: 12 giant or 24 small cookies
Forestall your display screen from going darkish
Mix melted butter and cocoa powder in a big mixing bowl and stir till well-combined.
½ cup (50 g) pure cocoa powder, 1 cup (226 g) unsalted butter
Add sugars, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract and stir nicely.
1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar, ¾ cup (150 g) gentle brown sugar, 1 giant egg + 1 giant egg yolk, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a separate, medium-sized bowl, whisk collectively flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
2 ¼ cups (280 g) all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, ¼ teaspoon baking soda, ¾ teaspoon salt
Progressively add dry substances to moist, stirring till utterly mixed.
Cowl dough and chill within the fridge for half-hour. In the meantime, preheat oven to 350F (175C).
Switch to middle rack of 350F (175C) oven and bake for 10-12 minutes (for giant cookies) or 9-10 minutes (for smaller cookies). Inside 1 minute of eradicating from the oven, use the clear, flat backside of a 1-cup measuring cup (or glass, and many others.) to softly flatten the floor of the cookie (you desire a clean flat floor for including the peanut butter). Enable cookies to chill on baking sheet for no less than 5 minutes earlier than eradicating to cooling rack to chill utterly earlier than adorning.
Peanut Butter Layer
Mix peanut butter and butter in a medium-large mixing bowl. Use an electrical mixer to beat till clean and creamy.
2 cups (475 g) creamy peanut butter, ½ cup (113 g) unsalted butter
Stir in vanilla extract and salt till nicely mixed.
1 teaspoon vanilla extract, ¼ teaspoon salt
Progressively add powdered sugar till utterly mixed and you’ve got a clean however stiff combination.
2 ¼ cups (285 g) powdered sugar
Scoop dough by 2 ½ Tablespoon parts (for giant cookies) or 1 ½ Tablespoon parts (for traditional cookies) and roll right into a clean ball (see word). Use your palms to flatten the combination right into a disk and press gently onto the floor of a cookie (if it’s too sticky, simply unfold it on the cookie gently with an icing spatula). Repeat till all cookies have been coated.
Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Pour cream right into a small saucepan and heat over medium-low warmth till steaming. Pour evenly over the chocolate, cowl with foil, and let sit for five minutes. Take away foil and whisk till clean. If chocolate hasn’t utterly melted, you may warmth within the microwave in 10-second intervals till clean.
1 ½ cups (250 g) semisweet chocolate chips or couverture chocolate, 6 Tablespoons heavy cream
Drizzle chocolate over cookies. Enable chocolate to harden earlier than having fun with (you may pace this up by popping them within the fridge, however cookies style greatest at room temp).
I like to recommend and like pure cocoa powder, however Dutch course of will work in a pinch.
Peanut butter layer
If combination is simply too sticky to deal with, cowl and chill within the fridge for 15-20 minutes after which attempt rolling once more). If the peanut butter filling remains to be too sticky after chilling, simply stir in extra powdered sugar, a tablespoon at a time, till manageable.
Retailer in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as 5 days. These cookie additionally freeze nicely, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and freeze for as much as 3 months.
Serving: 1giant cookie | Energy: 920kcal | Carbohydrates: 94g | Protein: 15g | Fats: 57g | Saturated Fats: 26g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 7g | Monounsaturated Fats: 21g | Trans Fats: 1g | Ldl cholesterol: 87mg | Sodium: 441mg | Potassium: 485mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 65g | Vitamin A: 852IU | Vitamin C: 0.05mg | Calcium: 93mg | Iron: 4mg
Dietary data relies on third-party calculations and ought to be thought-about an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will fluctuate based mostly upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking technique, portion sizes, and extra.