Juicy blueberries deliver their pure sweetness to this fast and straightforward blueberry sauce topping. This makes for a scrumptious of completion on so many various desserts like cheesecake and ice cream, and turns easy breakfast meals like entire wheat pancakes, oatmeal, and yogurt into one thing particular. You want simply 6 elements (together with water!), and you should utilize both contemporary or frozen blueberries.
Don’t you simply love a flexible berry sauce topping, that’s as welcome on the breakfast desk as it’s on a dessert? A topping all the time takes desserts to the following stage, each when it comes to taste and in presentation for serving. I’ve raspberry dessert sauce and strawberry sauce topping… so clearly it’s about time we invite blueberries to the occasion.
This recipe is similar to the topping I take advantage of on blueberry cream cheese pie, however, effectively, saucier. For that pie topping, you need a thicker, jammier topping that units up sufficient to remain collectively while you slice into the pie.
For this blueberry sauce topping, you need to have the ability to spoon or pour it on high of a slice of lemon cheesecake, or a dish of ice cream (possibly even blueberry crumble ice cream!). It additionally tastes phenomenal on pancakes & waffles, stirred into yogurt, and spooned over cream cheese French toast casserole. To sum up: blueberry sauce is limitless.
Why You’ll Love This Straightforward Blueberry Topping
- Make it with both contemporary or frozen blueberries
- Comes collectively on the range in lower than 10 minutes
- Naturally candy from the berries—add simply 2 Tablespoons of sugar
- So versatile—scrumptious on so many desserts and even breakfast meals
- Serve heat, chilly, or room temperature—your alternative!
- Freezes effectively, so nice make-ahead recipe
Have you ever ever made my blueberry swirl cheesecake? Immediately’s topping is a bit saucier than what you utilize for that cheesecake. Almost similar style, although.
Seize These 6 Elements:
- Water: I take advantage of extra water on this sauce than in related recipes on my web site as a result of blueberries don’t actually break down as a lot as, say, raspberries. We would like this to be a pourable/spoonable consistency proper off the warmth.
- Cornstarch: This ingredient barely thickens the sauce. You don’t want a lot, however you could mix it with slightly liquid earlier than including to the berries, in any other case you’ll have lumps of powdery cornstarch in your completed sauce. Cornstarch is usually combined with water to make a “slurry” earlier than utilizing in sauces; see strawberry sauce for instance.
- Lemon Juice: The sauce wants *one thing* to steadiness the berry and sugar, and lemon juice offers that trace of brightness. Don’t depart it out, or the flavour will fall flat.
- Contemporary or Frozen Blueberries: Blueberries are so handy—no peeling, pitting, or chopping required! (That’s why blueberry pie is my #1 alternative for a summer time pie.) After they’re not in season, be at liberty to make use of frozen blueberries. If utilizing frozen, you don’t must stir/mash the combination as a lot as a result of the blueberries break down simpler.
- Sugar: As a result of blueberries are so naturally candy, you solely want slightly sugar to sweeten this sauce—simply 2 Tablespoons.
- Vanilla Extract: Stir in a small splash of vanilla as soon as the sauce comes off the warmth. Vanilla provides the sauce dessert vibes. 😉
How one can Make It
You’ll cook dinner the combination down on the range. Heat the blueberries and sugar collectively first, and ensure you’re mashing a number of the blueberries together with your spoon or silicone spatula because it heats. That is particularly vital if utilizing contemporary blueberries. With frozen berries, you gained’t want to interrupt them down fairly as a lot as a result of the thawing liquid is there to assist.
You might be answerable for the thickness and consistency of this blueberry sauce topping—all of it comes right down to what number of blueberries you mash whereas the combination cooks.
After 3 minutes, stir within the cornstarch “slurry” constructed from cornstarch, water, and lemon juice. Let that cook dinner and thicken for a couple of minutes earlier than eradicating from warmth. Then stir within the vanilla.
The combination thickens because it cools. Off warmth, it’s heat and drippy. After cooling and refrigerating, it thickens into a skinny preserves-like consistency. If desired, you possibly can reheat the blueberry sauce topping to skinny it out.
I find it irresistible heat on ice cream:
Can This Be a Filling for a Layer Cake?
Not as written, no. I haven’t efficiently examined a thicker cake filling model of this but; nonetheless, you could possibly strive lowering the water and rising the cornstarch a bit. Or strive my raspberry cake filling as an alternative.
It might work as a cupcake filling, although! Be certain it’s utterly cooled earlier than filling.
Makes use of for Blueberry Sauce Topping
- Your favourite vanilla ice cream, or this no-churn blueberry crumble ice cream
- Topping on pavlova and no-bake cheesecake jars
- Filling for do-it-yourself crepes
- Use because the jam in these breakfast Danish pastries or the filling in these berry turnovers
- Pancakes & waffles, equivalent to these buttermilk waffles, entire wheat pancakes, and Greek yogurt lemon poppy seed pancakes
- Lemon cheesecake, plain cheesecake, lemon blueberry cheesecake bars, or straightforward cheesecake pie
- Stir into oatmeal or yogurt
- French toast: mini French toast bites, cream cheese French toast casserole, or blueberry French toast casserole
- Topping on lemon pudding muffins
- Spooned on slices of white cake, pistachio cake, cream cheese pound cake, or contemporary berry cream cake
- Swap out the contemporary fruit topping on fruit pizza and spoon this over the cream cheese frosting as an alternative
- Topping on goat cheese crostini
- Use it as an alternative of strawberry compote on brown butter pound cake
Can I bake this in desserts? Sure, you possibly can bake this in desserts. For instance, you possibly can swap the raspberry swirl in these white chocolate raspberry cheesecake bars with this blueberry sauce (no must pressure, simply swirl the chunky sauce into the cheesecake filling). You may additionally skip the apples on this apple crumb cake and add a layer of blueberry sauce below the crumb topping; and swap in blueberry sauce for the jam in these raspberry streusel bars and this raspberry twist bread.
Blueberry Sauce Topping
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Prepare dinner Time: 6 minutes
Whole Time: 16 minutes
Yield: about 1 and 1/4 cups
This blueberry sauce topping comes collectively shortly and simply on the range, and could be loved heat or chilly on many desserts and breakfast meals. You need to use contemporary or frozen blueberries.
- Whisk the cornstarch, water, and lemon juice collectively till all of the cornstarch has dissolved. (I simply use a fork to combine—very straightforward.) Put aside.
- Heat the blueberries and sugar collectively in a small saucepan over medium warmth. With a wood spoon or sturdy silicone spatula, stir repeatedly for 3 minutes, gently smashing the berries towards the edges of the pan to assist them launch some juices. (If you happen to used frozen blueberries, you gained’t must smash them as a lot as a result of they’ll naturally break down as they thaw over warmth.) After 3 minutes, add the cornstarch combination and proceed to stir for one more 2–3 minutes, smashing extra berries if wanted. The combination will begin to thicken.
- Take away from warmth and stir within the vanilla. Enable to chill. The combination is liquid and drippy, however thickens significantly because it cools.
- You possibly can serve the sauce heat earlier than it cools utterly if desired, or retailer within the fridge for as much as 1 week. Blueberry topping shall be thick after refrigeration, so microwave for 15 seconds or heat on the range to skinny out, if desired.
- Freezing Directions: After the blueberry sauce cools utterly, freeze in a freezer-friendly container for as much as 3–6 months. Thaw on the counter or within the fridge. Heat up within the microwave or on the range, if desired.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Small Sauce Pan | Sturdy Silicone Spatula
- Different berries: I like to recommend my raspberry sauce and strawberry sauce recipes as an alternative.
- Lemon: Lemon brightens the flavour. You want 1 Tablespoon (15ml) of contemporary lemon juice.
- Chunks: The consistency is as much as you. For fewer blueberry chunks, smash the berries slightly extra because the sauce cooks. For no blueberry chunks, puree the completed sauce in a blender till you attain your required consistency.
Key phrases: blueberry sauce topping