My beef stew recipe makes use of rigorously chosen substances and methods for the BEST taste, ever! This stew may be made within the oven or gradual cooker and consists of directions for each. Recipe features a how-to video!
Beef Stew With Carrots and Potatoes
I’m taking a break from cupcakes and cookies at the moment to share what I hope will grow to be one in every of your go-to dinners this winter: beef stew! Not solely is that this beef stew recipe tremendous cozy and hearty, it’s additionally the proper make-ahead meal. As soon as prepped, this stew cooks within the oven for a number of hours till extremely tender and flavorful–it’s the final word chilly climate consolation meals (tuck it away for a snow day!).
Each step of this stew is all about maximizing taste. As with my beef ragu (coming quickly!), searing the meat earlier than nestling it in for a protracted slow-cooking session is crucial.
Coating the meat in flour and searing provides unimaginable colour and taste to the meat, which is then infused all through the stew. It additionally creates browned bits on the underside of the pan, and once we deglaze these with pink wine, it takes the flavour to new heights. Are you able to inform I’m enthusiastic about this one?
Why you’ll love my beef stew recipe:
- No fancy substances–pink wine is as difficult because it will get.
- Cooks till the meat simply falls aside (with out the veggies changing into mushy!).
- Pairs completely with crusty bread, like my soda bread or my biscuits.
- Fastidiously designed to be as flavorful as completely attainable!
What You Want
A superb beef stew recipe doesn’t want a ton of fancy substances to be tasty. As an alternative, you simply must give attention to the fundamentals, together with:
- Beef. Use a chuck roast and ensure to chop it into 1.5 inch items. Do NOT use pre-cut beef, typically bought as “stew meat” (don’t let the identify idiot you, it’s simply not best). I speak extra about the perfect beef for beef stew within the FAQ part under.
- Veggies. Together with carrots, celery, and gold potatoes. Minimize all of them into 1″ items for probably the most even cooking. And sure, you possibly can go away the pores and skin in your potatoes!
- Aromatics. Like rosemary, thyme, and bay leaves. The bottom of the stew additionally makes use of onion and garlic for the perfect depth of taste. I desire to make use of recent herbs once I can (although I haven’t been capable of finding a recent bay leaf in years), however embody notes within the recipe to substitute dried herbs.
- Wine. Use a dry pink wine, I at all times go for a cheap Merlot. And cheap is value emphasizing, whereas with some recipes you need to ensure you’re utilizing a wine you wouldn’t thoughts consuming, that’s under no circumstances crucial right here. Backside-shelf is completely tremendous. As with my French onion soup, most (if not all) of the alcohol cooks off, so that you don’t have to fret about serving this dish to youngsters. Lastly, I completely advocate utilizing wine for the perfect taste, however when you’re out or simply don’t hold wine in the home, I’d simply substitute with one other cup of broth.
- Salt. Lack of salt is the primary technique to kill the flavour of absolutely anything, however particularly beef stew. While you style your stew earlier than serving, if it tastes bland or underwhelming at all, merely add extra salt till it has a wealthy, deep taste. I attempted my finest to checklist the precise quantity of salt you want, however due to variations in substances (reminiscent of beef broth), there’ll at all times be some variation. At all times add salt to style as wanted!
SAM’S TIP: Whereas some beef stew recipes thicken the broth solely by including hefty spoonfuls of flour, this didn’t give me the graceful, velvety mouthfeel that I used to be in search of. Tossing the meat in flour (after which including only a bit extra flour in a while) is how I developed a thick base for this stew. The ensuing broth isn’t fairly as thick as a gravy, however it’s positively thicker than a conventional broth.
Keep in mind, that is simply an outline of the substances I used and why. For the total recipe please scroll right down to the underside of the put up!
Find out how to Make Beef Stew
- Coat the meat – Mix the flour and seasoning in a ziploc bag, add the cubed meat, and toss/shake till the meat is coated.
- Sear – Add olive oil to a big pot and warmth over medium-high. As soon as sizzling, sear the meat in batches, cooking till brown earlier than flipping and repeating on the opposite aspect (you don’t must sear all sides!). Take away to a plate.
- Prepare dinner the onion and garlic – Add the butter. As soon as melted, toss within the onion and cook dinner till softened, then add the garlic and cook dinner for about 30 seconds.
- Stir in tomato paste – Add the tomato paste and stir till browned.
SAM’S TIP: Don’t over-crowd the meat when searing, or it is going to find yourself steaming as a substitute attributable to lack of area. If this occurs, your beef will flip grey as a substitute of a deep brown, and it additionally received’t be as flavorful. Because of this I cook dinner the meat in batches!
- Add the flour – Sprinkle within the flour and stir till absorbed, then cook dinner for one minute.
- Deglaze the pot – Slowly drizzle within the wine, scraping any brown bits off the underside of the pot as you do. Prepare dinner for a couple of minutes till the wine is decreased and thickened, it ought to have a shiny, velvety look.
- Return the meat – Add the Worcestershire sauce and beef broth, then add the meat and any juices from the plate. Don’t discard the juices, in addition they add taste!
- Add the veggies – Stir within the remaining seasoning, greens, and herbs.
- Bake for 2-3 hours – Place the lid on the pot barely offset and bake in a 325F oven for two hours. If the meat doesn’t collapse after 2 hours, cook dinner for as much as 1 extra hour, till tender.
- Season and serve! Take away the herbs from the pot and modify the seasonings to style.
SAM’S TIP: In case your stew isn’t as thick as you’d like after baking, you possibly can simmer it on the range (uncovered) till it reaches your required consistency.
Ceaselessly Requested Questions
Utilizing the precise kind of beef, searing the meat earlier than cooking, deglazing the pan, cooking for a number of hours, and utilizing loads of salt all make an enormous distinction within the taste of your beef stew. I rigorously designed this beef stew recipe to be as flavorful as attainable, and when you observe all of my ideas, your stew will style unimaginable!
Sure! You’ll want to do all the searing/cooking steps earlier than transferring to the gradual cooker. It should cook dinner for 8 hours on low; I present detailed directions for this within the recipe notes under.
Chuck roast is the primary beef I like to recommend for my beef stew recipe. Skip the pre-cut “stew meat”; whereas it might prevent a number of seconds of slicing, the standard may be unpredictable and it might find yourself diminishing your finish outcomes . I like to recommend utilizing a chuck roast that has some good marbling for the perfect taste. Severe Eats has a useful useful resource on choosing different good beef cuts.
My beef stew recipe tastes nice served as is, however some individuals prefer to serve it over mashed potatoes (and what isn’t higher with mashed potatoes?). 😋
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video under! When you do this recipe, be sure you tag me on Instagram, and you can even discover me on YouTube and Fb
Beef Stew Recipe
Servings: 6 servings (roughly 1 ½ cups every)
Stop your display from going darkish
Prepare rack to middle of your oven and preheat oven to 325F (160C).
In a big paper or Ziploc bag, toss collectively flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Add cubed meat and toss till all the cubes have been coated with flour.
½ cup all-purpose flour, 1 ½ teaspoon desk salt, ¾ teaspoon floor black pepper, 2 ½ lbs chuck roast
Warmth 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a big Dutch oven over medium-high warmth till shimmering. Working in batches, take away the meat from the bag and frivolously shake off any extra flour (don’t discard flour). Sear meat in batches, permitting area between each bit (in any other case it received’t brown correctly, I normally do 3 batches). Prepare dinner for about 3 minutes or till deep golden brown on one aspect, flip and sear the alternative aspect till deep golden brown, then take away to a plate when you cook dinner the following batch. Add extra oil between batches as wanted.
2 Tablespoons olive oil
Cut back warmth to medium, toss a Tablespoon of butter into the pot and as soon as it’s melted add onion. Prepare dinner, stirring often, till onion is softened (about 3 minutes).
1 Tablespoon salted or unsalted butter, 1 cup yellow onion
Add garlic and cook dinner, stirring, till aromatic/30 seconds.
1 ½ Tablespoons minced garlic
Add tomato paste and cook dinner, stirring, for a few minute or till browned in colour.
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
Measure out 1 Tablespoon of flour out of your earlier flour combination (when you tossed this simply measure your self a recent Tablespoon of flour) and sprinkle over the pot. Prepare dinner, stirring, till flour is totally absorbed then cook dinner one other minute.
Very slowly, drizzle in wine, scraping the underside of the pot to deglaze it and work any browned bits into the stew. Prepare dinner till wine is barely decreased, barely thickened, and shiny in look (a number of minutes).
1 cup dry pink wine
Add worcestershire sauce and slowly drizzle in beef broth and stir effectively.
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, 4 cups beef broth
Return beef to the pot (together with any juices that collected on the plate), and add remaining substances (remaining ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, potatoes, carrots, celery, bay leaves, thyme, and rosemary).
1 ½ lbs gold potatoes, 1 lb carrots, 2 stalks celery, 3 dried bay leaves, 5 sprigs recent thyme, 1 small sprig recent rosemary
Stir and be sure that the meat and veggies are principally coated by the broth (and the herbs are fully submerged, or they’ll burn). Barely offset the lid from the pot, switch to middle rack of 325F (160C) oven and bake for 2-3 hours. Verify stew at 2 hours and add extra time as wanted, cooking till beef is tender sufficient that it falls aside with a fork.
As soon as meat is tender, discard bay leaves and thyme/rosemary stems. Verify the consistency and style of the soup. When you’d prefer it a bit thicker, simmer uncovered on the stovetop till thickened. Style-test and add salt and pepper as wanted (if the soup tastes something lower than supremely flavorful, it seemingly wants a bit extra salt to convey out the flavors of the soup).
Extra salt and pepper
Select a chuck roast that’s well-marbled for finest taste. Keep away from pre-cut “stew meat”.
Retailer in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 5 days. The flavour of the stew develops because it sits and a few individuals even say it’s higher the following day. This stew can also be frozen.
To make use of a gradual cooker, observe steps 1-10 then switch substances to basin of a gradual cooker. Prepare dinner on low for 8 hours. Observe that the broth doesn’t grow to be fairly as thick when ready in a gradual cooker, to assist thicken the stew, take away the lid after 8 hours and cook dinner on excessive, stirring often (or return to a big pot on the stovetop and simmer, uncovered, till thickened).
Serving: 1serving | Energy: 641kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 45g | Fats: 29g | Saturated Fats: 12g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 3g | Monounsaturated Fats: 15g | Trans Fats: 1g | Ldl cholesterol: 135mg | Sodium: 1506mg | Potassium: 1523mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 4065IU | Vitamin C: 36mg | Calcium: 100mg | Iron: 7mg
Dietary info is predicated on third-party calculations and must be thought-about an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will fluctuate based mostly upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking technique, portion sizes, and extra.