Nearly like a hearty, slightly-spicy stew, this butterbean soup with chorizo, is filling and super-flavourful.
Topping it off with feta and watercress would possibly sound a bit unusual, however please strive it. It simply works.
The delicately creamy butterbeans (lima beans in case you’re within the US) take in the flavours from the chorizo and tomato to make it a hearty and scrumptious soup.
20 minutes from begin to end, you may simply serve this with some salad and perhaps some crusty bread for a fast, after-work dinner.
📋 What do we want?
📺 Watch how you can make it
Full recipe with detailed steps within the recipe card on the finish of this publish.
👩🍳PRO TIP Add a splash of scorching sauce (I like Franks scorching pepper sauce) for a spicier model.
You may make this soup forward, and it additionally freezes very well. I’ve included directions on the finish of the recipe card on this.
🍽️ What to serve it with
I like to make a double or triple batch of this, then freeze it in parts.
It makes the right warming meal after we go for a cold Spring stroll on the seaside. I refill a flask of it, then take a bit pot of the feta with me. On these events the watercress is not noted – chilly seaside walks and salad leaves positively do not go collectively!
🍲 Extra warming soup recipes
Keep up to date with new recipes!
Subscribe to the e-newsletter to listen to once I publish a brand new recipe. I’m additionally on YouTube (new movies each week) and Instagram (behind-the-scenes tales & lovely meals photographs).
Butterbean and Chorizo Soup
Butterbean Chorizo and Feta Soup – so scrumptious and prepared in 20 minutes!
Warmth the oil in a big frying pan over a medium warmth.
1 tsp oil
Add the onions and chorizo and fry for 5-6 minutes till the onions begin to flip translucent and the chorizo is calmly browned and beginning to launch its oils
1 onion, 85 g (3 oz) chorizo
Add within the tinned tomatoes, inventory, tomato puree, sugar, thyme, salt and pepper and simmer for 7-8 minutes, stirring often.
400 g (14oz) tin of chopped tomatoes in juice, 300 ml (1 ¼ cups) hen inventory, 1 tbsp tomato puree (paste of USA), 1 tsp sugar, ½ tsp thyme, Pinch of salt and pepper
Add within the butterbeans, stir, and cook dinner for two minutes till warmed via.
400 g (14 oz) tin of butterbeans (lima beans)
Ladle into two bowls and high with crumbled feta and watercress.
45 g (1.5 oz) feta cheese, Handful of contemporary watercress
Can I make it forward?
Sure, you may make the soup forward, however do not add the feta and watercress toppings till you come to serve it.
- Make the soup, cool, cowl and refrigerate for 2-3 days, then reheat in a pan, over a medium warmth, stirring typically, till piping scorching (about 5 minutes).
- Add a splash of water or inventory to loosen it up when reheating in case you assume it wants it.
Can I freeze it?
- Sure, make the soup (however do not add the watercress and feta toppings – depart these off till you are serving the soup) then cool, switch to an acceptable container with a lid and freeze.
I prefer to freeze mine in particular person parts.
- Defrost in a single day within the fridge, then reheat as per the ‘make-ahead’ directions above.
- Swap the watercress for pea shoots or spinach
- Add extra greens. Peas, sweetcorn, chunks of cooked potato or cooked butternut squash work properly.
- Make it spicy with a splash of scorching pepper/chilli sauce.
- Make it creamy with a splash of double (heavy) cream or a tablespoon of creme fraiche. I typically prefer to make it creamy AND spicy!
- Swap the feta for crumbled chunks of cheddar, Lancashire cheese or a sprinkling of parmesan.
The right way to scale up this recipe
Double or triple the recipe, sticking to the identical ingredient ratios. It is going to take 10 minutes longer altogether with the prep time and cooking time:
- Add an additional 2-3 minutes frying time for the onions and chorizo.
- Add 3 minutes longer simmering time if you add the tinned tomatoes.
- Add 2 minutes longer simmering time after you add the butterbeans.
Dietary data is approx, per portion (this recipe serves 2)
Energy: 508kcalCarbohydrates: 48gProtein: 26gFats: 24gSaturated Fats: 9gLdl cholesterol: 57mgSodium: 2693mgPotassium: 1100mgFiber: 12gSugar: 11gVitamin A: 370IUVitamin C: 23.5mgCalcium: 235mgIron: 6.6mg
This publish was first printed in Might 2015. Replace March 2023 with new photographs, video a small recipe tweak and a few housekeeping.
Among the hyperlinks on this publish could also be affiliate hyperlinks – which suggests in case you purchase the product I get a small fee (at no additional value to you). For those who do purchase, then thanks! That’s what helps us to maintain Kitchen Sanctuary working. The dietary data offered is approximate and might differ relying on a number of elements. For extra data please see our Phrases & Circumstances.